Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Permanent sub?

amother

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 6:33 pm
I'm working as a permanent sub as part of the secular staff of a large school. I am expected to come to work everyday and even the weekly staff meeting and professional development. There is still one more day of school during Chanuka, so it could still be an oversight, but I noticed that the teachers and assistants received chanuka gelt to the teachers and assistants I did not receive an envelope. The letter from the parent organization committee said that the money was to go to the "teachers, assistants, specialty teachers" and that parent's were supposed to give therapists and resource teachers separately. I don't think I'm considered a "therapist"--most parents wouldn't know specifically that I exist, as I'm a sub and not really "advertised", but I have been in some classes more than others. True, I don't prepare like the teachers do, but neither do the assistants, my salary is not quite that of a "teacher", but more than an "assistant". Am I justified to feel a little left out?

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 18 2014, 8:15 pm
a permanent sub is part of the school day - the principal should make sure you get the same token chanuka gelt as the others - even if the amounts are different - the hakoras hatov should be equal

amother

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 8:28 am
So chanuka came and went, no envelope. They did give me the same "token" gift that they presented to the whole secular staff, but not the gelt that was intended for "teachers".

So now, do I say something? How do I go about bringing it to their attention? Perhaps it was an oversight, my position is new to this year, and the organizers of the chanuka gelt were the parent organization--did they know that I exist?

What should I do?

oliveoil

Post Thu, Jan 01 2015, 8:30 am
Ignore it. Bringing it up will only make you look bad.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics