Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Easy supper for 13 adults?

ruchelbuckle

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:46 pm
Does this exist? A local kiruv program is having a shabbaton, and I will be hosting the Thursday night dinner.

One course.

Any suggestions?

If I do chicken bottoms, how many should I do for 13 adults-- a combo of men and women.

pesek zman

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 1:57 pm
I'd do something like a huge beef stew, or huge pot of chili. Or perhaps pasta with meat sauce (or meat lasagna)

Dev80

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 2:02 pm
BBQ style food - grilled chicken, hot dogs, burgers (even if made in the oven or stovetop), or even just two out of the three bbq foods.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 2:14 pm
I've done this before. use whole chickens. I'd say 1 chicken is good for 5-6 people. so I'd make three chickens, and you may have some leftovers. use a spice rub, rub it all over the chicken, skin on. bake the chickens at 350 for two hours, breast side down. then you can cut up the chicken. this should be fairly easy. side dishes: some form of potatoes (cut up potatoes with skins, salt, pepper, rosemary, a little oil is good), a fresh salad, another veggie side dish, preferably cooked (I'd go for one or two kinds of squash. you can bake these whole, I don't bother removing the seeds and steaming. remove the seeds after it's soft, serve sliced). if you want dessert, go with cookies and cut up fruit.

agreer

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 2:16 pm
if you have a large oven, do one-pan meals:

2 huge roasters of sliced carrots, potatoes, and chicken bottoms. Cover in sauce and bake on a low temp for several hours, covered.

If I had a crowd of 13 adults, I would do AT LEAST 1 bottom per person, but probably more like 20 bottoms, just in case. You can always use leftovers in salads.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 3:35 pm
I wouldn't do chicken thursday since it is usually on the menu friday night. If you do chicken 1/4 per person is plenty.

Other options: rice and meatballs, chicken or beef stir fry, spaghetti and meatsauce, salmon.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 3:36 pm
agreer wrote:
if you have a large oven, do one-pan meals:

2 huge roasters of sliced carrots, potatoes, and chicken bottoms. Cover in sauce and bake on a low temp for several hours, covered.

If I had a crowd of 13 adults, I would do AT LEAST 1 bottom per person, but probably more like 20 bottoms, just in case. You can always use leftovers in salads.

Bad bad idea for a kiruv crowd. There is very possibly at least one vegetarian. (unless you have asked and know there isn't) make sides separately.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 4:19 pm
5 ft deli subs.
I did this once for a large crowd for a siyum for my DH.
I per-ordered 5 foot subs from my local bakery. He told me how much I needed per person (You need a bigger car to pick it up).
I stuffed it with deli and used frilly toothpicks with an olive and\or cherry tomato to hold each slice closed. You serve it on a buffet. Side dishes: Big lettuce salad, cole slaw, pickles.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 4:25 pm
This is going to sound crazy, but when my father had business meetings at home my mother did this:

She made a menu.

Fruit (Individual bowls with watermelon or honeydew or another non offending fruit - don't do grapefruit since not everyone like it/may eat it)

Choice of two salads (Garden or Greek / Chinese or BBQ Chicken): You can do them dairy, pareve, or meat.

Main Course: Fish with side of orzo/roasted potatoes (You choose) and vegetables if you want it (you can do steamed or grilled). Vegetables do not need two options because people will either take them or not and it's really not a must after a salad.

Dessert - you can make one option and voila.

Does it sound too intense? It's really not so crazy because the salads can be served the next day, as can the orzo or veggies.

5 foot subs are also a great idea. My family did that as well.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 5:20 pm
Fish or chicken quarters can get a bit expensive for so many portions, no?
Kudos to u for hosting and cooking for such an important event!!

tichellady

Post Wed, Dec 03 2014, 5:53 pm
I would serve two big lasagnas or baked zitis with a big green salad and a roasted vegetable (cauliflower, green beans, Brocolli or zuchini)

spinkles

Post Thu, Dec 04 2014, 7:14 am
Many non-frum people eat healthier than frum people, so avoid heavy food. Serve something where people have options so the vegetarians and the dieters and the picky eaters all have something to eat.

Can you do burritos? Warm a lot of tortillas wrapped in foil. Then let people fill their own tortillas with grilled chicken breast strips (spiced with Mexican spices), spiced black beans (just add onion powder and seasoned salt to canned drained beans), brown rice, lettuce, tomato, lots of guacamole (can buy the refrigerated kind), roasted spiced veg if you have time (zucchini, peppers, onions), salsa.

Or, you could do a couple of pots of vegetarian soup so people have a choice (maybe lentil and minestrone) and serve garlic bread and have platters of fresh veggies (carrot sticks, cucumber circles, cherry tomatoes).

pumpernickle

Post Thu, Dec 11 2014, 6:54 pm
How was it and what did u end up making?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus