Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling and Socializing
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 12:38 am
Thank you! And again, you are right. Just doing something like sports together with other kids or participating in a club is socializing. I am liking the idea of homeschooling more and more, I think the advantages are greater than disadvantages.
Do homeschooled kids in NYC have to do standardized test each year? How does that work?

granolamom

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you! And again, you are right. Just doing something like sports together with other kids or participating in a club is socializing. I am liking the idea of homeschooling more and more, I think the advantages are greater than disadvantages.
Do homeschooled kids in NYC have to do standardized test each year? How does that work?

I think that up through grade 4 you do not need to do standardized testing. then, from grades 5 through 8, you need to submit standardized test scores every other year. so either grades 5 and 7 or 6 and 8.
you have to submit the composite score and I believe the score must be at least in the 30%ile or show the equivalent of one years growth. this isnt much of a problem for most kids but if you know/suspect your child is behind or has learning issues, you might want to give him the test the year before you need to begin testing. this way, the next year when you test, if he scores below the 30th, you can also submit the scores from the year before and most likely you will be able to show 'one year's growth'.
most homeschoolers that I know in NY use Seton CATe. its cheap, relatively short, easy to administer. there's a group buy on one of my yahoo groups every year for it or you can order it directly from seton. its around $25 or so. not a big deal, the whole test is about 2 hrs, iirc. math and LA

amother

Post Sat, Nov 29 2014, 6:44 pm
That's really good to know! Academically no problems at all, very easy actually. I'm just so tired of school policies and I feel like teachers are always yelling at the kids instead of teaching. Also, the possibilities of deciding the rhythm of studying and having more freedom for them looks so good at this moment!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling