Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Lakewood broker doesnt want to deal w/ my lawyer

sourstix

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 10:40 am
I am I"H buying a house in lakewood. the broker in lakewood doesnt want to deal with my lawyer. and my lawyer in brooklyn-nachman caller is the top in this field. he says that my lawyer doesnt understand anything. he needs to explain eth to him. what? hes the top in the line! now the broker wants a lawyer from lakewood to take care of this. what am I going to do? what is going on? please anyone with experience in this area help me out and explain to me whats going on. in mean time I will see if dh wants to change lawyers we'll see.

sourstix

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:27 am
I did what the broker told me to do and changing lawyers. I hope that I did the right thing. how can it be a broker has a problem with a buyers lawyer? did they rub each other the wrong way?
I dont know or trust any lawyers in lakewood how can I do this? but the house I am buying I want so badly and only this broker is dealing with this! I think something more is happening there I just dont know what. may hashem help me that I am doing the right thing. anyone have sth similar? this sounds crazy

mommyla

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:35 am
The laws in NY and NJ may be different, so your lawyer may not be familiar with the ins and outs of Lakewood-specific laws. Or your broker may just be a moron. Who knows?

If you're looking for a Lakewood real estate lawyer, I was happy with David Klein.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:37 am
I was happy w Miriam Weinstein. She has been doing lakewood real estate law forever.

Tzippora

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:42 am
Not a lawyer, but... why would you trust the SELLER's broker on who should be your representative? The whole point of you retaining a lawyer is to have an independent set of eyes on the transaction that are on YOUR side. This sounds like one of two things - either the broker has a kickback arrangement with their recommended lawyer for referrals, or he's trying to pull some funny business on you and the lawyer they recommend won't spot it or won't inform you if they do.

If you MUST change lawyers (I.e. due to NY/NJ legal differences, although if your lawyer is licensed in NJ I don't know why you would) - pick the new lawyer yourself rather than taking the recommendation from the person whose work/offer the new lawyer would be reviewing.

Hatemywig

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:48 am
I may be wrong but to me it sounds like the locals have a kind of pact/agreement that they refer clients to each other and get percentages. If you bring in an outside lawyer, he loses his money.

Tzippora

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:51 am
Forcing a potential buyer to fire her lawyer to get yourself that referral bonus is at a minimum a breach of professional ethics. And it's extremely slimy to malign her attorney in pursuit of that bonus.

debsey

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 11:56 am
I agree - it sounds a little shady. What does Nachman Caller think? Can he refer a Lakewood lawyer that he knows to be honest?
Personally, we use Miriam Weinstein. We've used her several times now (By "we" I mean my husband and I, as well as my extended family) and she is very good, ethical and thorough. I'd take the recommendations of the people on this board faster than I would the broker, who doesn't have a vested interest in protecting you. We are at least impartial friendly strangers.

mommyla

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 12:33 pm
I agree, this sounds kind of off. If you feel comfortable pming me with the names of your broker and his lawyer recommendation I may be able to tell you if they're trustworthy.

das

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 12:37 pm
A relative of mine bought a house in LKwd, naively asked the broker which lawyer he recommends, and enede up paying thousands of dollars more due to issues with the contract. Later she found out that many brokers and lawyers are in cahoots in Lkwd--and the lawyer she was using was good friends with both the broker and the sellers lawyer! He did not work on her bhalf at all. Be very very wary.

scrltfr

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 1:23 pm
Nachman caller is well aware of lakewood law. The broker represents the seller not you so he does not have your best interest. If I were you I would not use anyone the broker recommended.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 1:38 pm
Be careful. When we bought our house the broker recommended a lawyer in Lakewood and we decided to go with someone from Englewood, NJ. The broker gave us a hard time and said we're making a mistake and that everyone in Lakewood uses that lawyer. What do you know? We paid $7,500 for a service lots of people paid $10,000 to that Lakewood lawyer. It's been almost a decade but I know I will never trust that broker or lawyer when I buy my next house.

Basya

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 1:44 pm
Another vote for Miriam Weinstein.
We also were told by our broker that there are Lakewood specific issues, funny business to look out for, and other things that NY lawyers might not be familiar with and recommended that we use a Lakewood attorney - he asked if we would like recommendations, but we declined that offer, and went on family's recommendation of Miriam. It ended up being a messy situation - with the seller being unreasonable about many things, and Miriam was amazing and fought for us to the end. She was extremely patient with us and explained things over and over again until we were confident throughout the whole experience. She was terrific and well worth every penny.

Good Luck!

penguin

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:11 pm
We once bought or sold a property, I forget the details now, but I had one lawyer (I guess it was from the other party) tell us he is not willing to work with another lawyer whom we had chosen, kind of at random.

But IIRC, this fellow is a bit controversial in some ways (involved in certain political issues) which I don't think we had been aware of at the time. But now that I know more, I can actually understand where this other fellow was coming from.

Some lawyers are known to be very aggressive in their clients' interests, and a broker or seller might say they aren't willing to deal w/ s/o, based on bad experiences in the past. So you can either go along with them or walk away from the deal.

Is this ethical or legal? I have no idea.

faigie

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:38 pm
Id hire back ur lawyer... the broker complains ur lawyer doesnt know anything?TOO BAD, this is who I want.. IMHO its just an excuse to use his frriend as your rep, ur being set up.

Basya

Post Fri, Nov 28 2014, 2:48 pm
Why don't you ask if ANY Lakewood attorney is ok, or if it just has to be "this one". If he says that any Lakewood lawyer is fine, I wouldn't be concerned. There are tons of them. If you are told it has to be a specific one - I would not go along with that.

12rivkyk34

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 12:04 pm
I'd go with the lawyer your agent recommended. When an agent and lawyer have worked together they have a certain relationship that helps things along smoothly. I used Gerald Klein as was recommended to me by a local agent and was very happy with him. He is honest and gives the client's his time and patience. I have recommended to him to many of my friends who were also very happy with him.

sourstix

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:35 pm
[quote="faigie"]Id hire back ur lawyer... the broker complains ur lawyer doesnt know anything?TOO BAD, this is who I want.. IMHO its just an excuse to use his frriend as your rep, ur being set up.[/quote]

my broker told me from the first minute who my lawyer is he said u need someone else. so I was warned and when my lawyer was late in taking care of stuff I was missing deadlines and losing potential of buying a certain house bec iam doing an exchange. but he did tell me he has a list of lawyers he doesnt mind who as long as its someone familiar w/ lakewood law. there are more details that would make u change your mind thank you everyone. I did inquire about the lawyer and everyone I asked is only saying positive. I'h things will turn out good

sourstix

Post Sun, Nov 30 2014, 1:42 pm
thank you all imamothers I have things settled and we did find someone reputable.

Mevater

Post Tue, May 19 2015, 10:19 am
sourstix wrote:
thank you all imamothers I have things settled and we did find someone reputable.

Which lawyer were you happy with at the end?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries