Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Here's to if you like a challenge!!

mirimiri

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 9:36 am
Long story short we finally got down to the bottom of the foods my husband is actually allergic to (it took a while to figure this out).
either way I am having a real hard time cooking dinners and shabbats with these restrictions, please send in recipes, I'm really running on low. I'll also take desserts too, since a lot of the stuff I'm used to making includes thing from the list below.
*to shake things up a little more and make it little more exciting= we do not eat fried, and pasta and bread is almost never during the week!!!!
the no-no list (anything that has the ingredients below is a no go):
1)Soy-includes but not limited to: veggie burgers, rich whip, soy sauce, edamame, tofu, teriyaki sauce,
2)Tomatos-includes but not limited to: all sauces, bbq sauce
3)Eggplant
4)chocolate
5)Peanut butter
6)melon

I told you it would be a challenge, if not lets hear what you got Cool
Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate it!!!

chani8

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 10:49 am
For Shobbos, we make baked chicken in a homemade Hawaiian sauce: Canned (sugar free) pineapples, lightly drained. Mix with shredded coconut. Process in food processor, into a paste. Smear onto chicken. Sprinkle with slivered almonds.

But first, we put a layer of vegetables under the chicken, like green beans, carrots, and zucchini. Drizzle some of the pineapple juice onto the veggies. Place the chicken on top. Spread the paste onto the chicken. Top with slivered almonds. Bake.

Serve with rice.

For cake, we make a 'corn bread' batter and go from there:
2 cups corn grits,
2 cups liquid (yummy using 1 cup coconut milk and 1 cup water),
Sugar to taste (1/3 cup?),
2 T oil
4 eggs,
1 tsp baking soda,
opt: cocoa, cinnamon, honey, or maple syrup

For cookies, we make oatmeal cookies:
500 grams of oats
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup sugar
lots of cinnamon
3 eggs

Flatten spoonfuls onto baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes. Or make round balls, bake for up to 20 minutes.

We eat lots of mexican type food, using Doritos, corn tortillas, taco shells. You can make nachos with cheese. Chicken burritos. Ground beef tacos. Fish tacos.

For 'salsa': 3 red or green bell peppers, a large handful of fresh coriander, a sprinkle of dried crushed hot red pepper, 1 T oil, blend up in processor. Add salt to taste.

Pineapple

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:09 am
for chicken you can saute onions and fresh garlic then add the chicken with some spices in a little water and cook on the stove top for 1.5 hours on the low to medium flameyou can also add potatoes if you'd like after about 45 minutes of cooking time

Pineapple

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:10 am
you can make stir fry with different kinds of vegetables that you have in the house

anything with eggs

for dessert you can have fruit that he is allowed to have

yo

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:20 am
You can make lots of different types of soup ( also great with this weather 😀). Today I'm eating one made with lentils, a bit of rice and zuchini, carrots, red peppers and onions diced small. I just spice it with salt and pepper and I find it yummy!

2gether

Post Wed, Nov 26 2014, 11:43 am
dinner :
main dishes: chicken
- with honey and garlic,cooked in mushroom sauce, pepper, paprika and garlic,curry spice,with veg., orange juice w/wo pinnapples,sheperds pie,shnitzel,burgers
fish- lemon juice,fish spice mix,with veg.,tuna patties,tuna stuffed peppers
learn to spice not use ready sauses
and to bake/ grill not fry

fritata,eggs,tacos,stuffed peppers w/rice
milchig-cheese on potato/calliflower/ quiona,quich w/o crust,cottage cheese stuffed peppers

sides:potatos,rice,barley,beans,lentils,rice+lentils,oatmeal,other grains
hearty soup with salad,tuna /chicken salad,greek salad, grilled veg., baked sqaush/ sweet potataos/zucchini ,veg. saate

desserts:all fruit other then melon
cakes w/o choc. or rich whip
,ices, jello,milchig ice cream,granola bars,nuts

shabbos: tell us what your issues are!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 12:43 am
mirimiri wrote:
Long story short we finally got down to the bottom of the foods my husband is actually allergic to (it took a while to figure this out).
either way I am having a real hard time cooking dinners and shabbats with these restrictions, please send in recipes, I'm really running on low. I'll also take desserts too, since a lot of the stuff I'm used to making includes thing from the list below.
*to shake things up a little more and make it little more exciting= we do not eat fried, and pasta and bread is almost never during the week!!!!
the no-no list (anything that has the ingredients below is a no go):
1)Soy-includes but not limited to: veggie burgers, rich whip, soy sauce, edamame, tofu, teriyaki sauce,
2)Tomatos-includes but not limited to: all sauces, bbq sauce
3)Eggplant
4)chocolate
5)Peanut butter
6)melon

I told you it would be a challenge, if not lets hear what you got Cool
Thanks Everyone, I really appreciate it!!!

What sort of dishes do you usually serve?

Do you need help with side dishes like variations of barley, potato, sweet potato, rice, quinoa?

Or chicken, meat, egg, bean recipes?

Vegetable side dishes and salads?

When you do use pasta or bread, you can make lasagna verde, white pizza, baked pumpkin penne, zucchini parmesan with a pesto cream sauce, cheesy stuffed potatoes, fettuccine alfredo (all without tomato products or eggplant).

I make my own soy free teriyaki sauce, no soy veggie burgers with lentils, I am able to sub out soy sauce in recipes using various techniques. Let me know if you need help.

I don't use ketchup or barbecue much anymore but when I stopped eating these ingredients I subbed out with 2 great recipes I found online which I can share.

If you need any recipes, let me know.

For desserts, sorbet, baked apples, cherry crumble, pumpkin pie, poached pears, pound cake with berry sauce, homemade parve ice cream, granitas, fruit roll ups, etc. are delish.

2gether

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 7:49 am
ra_mom wrote:

I make my own soy free teriyaki sauce, , I am able to sub out soy sauce in recipes using various techniques. Let me know if you need help.

I don't use ketchup or barbecue much anymore but when I stopped eating these ingredients I subbed out with 2 great recipes I found online which I can share.

can I have the teriyaki sauce, the 2 recipes you found online and your techniques instead of soy sauce?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:42 am
2gether wrote:
can I have the teriyaki sauce, the 2 recipes you found online and your techniques instead of soy sauce?

Here's my teriyaki sauce. Ume plum vinegar is the star that gives the salty, almost fermented soy sauce taste.
It works great as a cold finishing sauce over sushi or drizzled over grilled chicken or baked salmon.
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....auce/

For a soy sauce substitute, I do a basic base of 1 Tbsp ume plum vinegar mixed with 1/8 tsp toasted sesame oil for that flavor. But it all depends on the recipe. For a dish that has other flavors to also rely on in the recipe, this works great.
For example, it works amazingly for this yummy humus recipe.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....83112

But if the flavor base of the recipe is mainly soy sauce, I suggest finding a recipe that uses different flavors instead of soy sauce.

Let me know what you are recipe you are trying to find a soy sauce sub for and I will let you know what I do for that particular dish.

Some more ideas with this ume plum vinegar/toasted sesame oil combo.
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....lmon/
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....ad-2/

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:47 am
Here are the mock ketchup and bbq sauce recipes I use.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....72688

2gether

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 9:54 am
ra_mom wrote:
Here's my teriyaki sauce. Ume plum vinegar is the star that gives the salty, almost fermented soy sauce taste.
It works great as a cold finishing sauce over sushi or drizzled over grilled chicken or baked salmon.
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....auce/

For a soy sauce substitute, I do a basic base of 1 Tbsp ume plum vinegar mixed with 1/8 tsp toasted sesame oil for that flavor. But it all depends on the recipe. For a dish that has other flavors to also rely on in the recipe, this works great.
For example, it works amazingly for this yummy humus recipe.
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....83112

But if the flavor base of the recipe is mainly soy sauce, I suggest finding a recipe that uses different flavors instead of soy sauce.

Let me know what you are recipe you are trying to find a soy sauce sub for and I will let you know what I do for that particular dish.

Some more ideas with this ume plum vinegar/toasted sesame oil combo.
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....lmon/
http://www.joyofkosher.com/rec.....ad-2/

thank you for taking the time to post, but I don't like to buy specialty ingredients, in Israel it can get expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics