Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Help me make chulent

abaker

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:35 pm
so we don't make chulent very often, because we always have sooo much leftover and it goes to waste. we want to make chulent for 3 or 4 adults and a toddler, but don't want leftovers...and I have no clue about the amounts. here's what I have

potatoes
onions
garlic
assorted dried beans (black, kidney, black eyed peas, etc)
canned black beans
barley
ketchup/bbq sauce
few raw chicken wings (no beef in the house...not going shopping before shabbos)

I dont have kishka but I have seen the idea of cutting off the neck of a butternut squash and peeling it and putting it in the chulent as a healthier alternative, I may do that.

any ideas of what combination of ingredients I could use, how much water, what time to put it up? tia!

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2014, 9:45 pm
abaker wrote:
so we don't make chulent very often, because we always have sooo much leftover and it goes to waste. we want to make chulent for 3 or 4 adults and a toddler, but don't want leftovers...and I have no clue about the amounts. here's what I have

potatoes
onions
garlic
assorted dried beans (black, kidney, black eyed peas, etc)
canned black beans
barley
ketchup/bbq sauce
few raw chicken wings (no beef in the house...not going shopping before shabbos)

I dont have kishka but I have seen the idea of cutting off the neck of a butternut squash and peeling it and putting it in the chulent as a healthier alternative, I may do that.

any ideas of what combination of ingredients I could use, how much water, what time to put it up? tia!

how large is your crockpot?

for a 4 quart crockpot, and using the ingredients listed above, you can use 2 potatoes, 1 small onion, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 cup dried beans, 1/2 can black beans, 1/3 cup barley, 2 Tbsp ketchup/barbecue sauce, 4 cups water.

regarding seasoning, my suggestion to you is to place all ingredients listed above in the crockpot, minus any chicken or meat, mix well, taste the liquid, season, taste again and reseason until the liquid tastes really good to your liking. then you'll know that the seasoning will come out spot on. after that, add your raw meat or chicken.

if your crockpot is larger or smaller I would adjust the water and possibly the other ingredient amounts, so please let me know how large your pot is.

abaker

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 8:53 am
thank you so much ra_mom I do have a 4qt crock pot I will use that one. the detailed info is very helpful. I also have those mini cocktail hot dogs (which I dont like the taste of) do you think throwing a few in would be gross? I dont want the smoky hot dog flavor to permeate the whole chulent. how long before shabbos should I put it up? on high or low?

perquacky

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 1:03 pm
Make a mock kishka and place it on top of the cholent.
(But, please! Leave out the ketchup/bbq sauce!) Very Happy

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 21 2014, 2:27 pm
abaker wrote:
thank you so much ra_mom I do have a 4qt crock pot I will use that one. the detailed info is very helpful. I also have those mini cocktail hot dogs (which I dont like the taste of) do you think throwing a few in would be gross? I dont want the smoky hot dog flavor to permeate the whole chulent. how long before shabbos should I put it up? on high or low?
Hot dogs end up tasting like cooked rubber in the cholent, because they cook so long. No flavor at all. You can try just a small handful to see what they are like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus