Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Yapchag? yaptzug? yupztag? chulent alternative

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 9:52 pm
Just found out some of my company is gluten free- gotta rething the menu- I know I can put rice in my chulent instead of barley but I remeber reading here something called yapchug or yaptzag... tried searching lots of different ways, but got nothing.. Anyone know what I am talking about and how to spell it....

Also, need a new idea for appetizer instead of gefilte fish- my kids don't like salmon, can't do anything with noodles(don't want to head out to the store again...) was gonna do borekas, but it has wheat....

miyodea

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:02 pm
We call it yaptchik. It's basically overnight potato kugel with flanken.

You can either bake the kugel first and then put the flanken and leave it on the blech, or you can put the meat into the crock pot and pour the potato kugel batter over it to cook it all together.

Another variation is to peel potatoes and leave them overnight with salt and no water, then pour everything you find in the bowl in the morning (slimy black potatoes) into the pot with meat and fried onions. Not really my thing but I know quite a few people who really like it.

ETA you can get gluten free gefilte fish. And also many types of fresh fish besides salmon.

Last edited by miyodea on Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

mommyla

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:05 pm
Yum. I just make my potato kugel recipe, grease my crockpot, put half of the potato kugel batter on the bottom, then chulent meat, then the rest of the batter to cover the meat, then bake it until lightly browned (a little longer than your typical potato kugel takes to bake). Pour about 1/2 c. water over it and put it in the crockpot base on low right before Shabbos.

And I call it yapchik too, but some of my friends call it yapsug.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:15 pm
eema1 wrote:
Just found out some of my company is gluten free- gotta rething the menu- I know I can put rice in my chulent instead of barley but I remeber reading here something called yapchug or yaptzag... tried searching lots of different ways, but got nothing.. Anyone know what I am talking about and how to spell it....

Also, need a new idea for appetizer instead of gefilte fish- my kids don't like salmon, can't do anything with noodles(don't want to head out to the store again...) was gonna do borekas, but it has wheat....

Yapsuk
See realeez's recipe.
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....atoes
For an appetizer you can do wild rice with some meat in it, chicken livers, nut crusted eggplant rounds with ground meat on top, cubed turkey over salad, grilled meat salad, nicoise salad... What do you have in the house?

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:39 pm
Yapchik, yummmm...

I make it with lamb stew meat for Shabbos Pesach:

Make a shredded potato and onion mixture in your food processor, like for kugel. I use about 10 Yukon Gold potatoes and 2 sweet onions. Mix.

Line a greased (or PAM'ed) crockpot with parchment paper.
Layer:
About 1/3 of the potato-onion mixture on the bottom
1.5 – 2 lbs lamb neck in the middle
The rest of the potato-onion mixture on top
Add a sprinkle of black pepper.

Cook in the crockpot on low. That's all. I start the yapchik midday on Friday, and it will slowly cook overnight. No need to add any water unless your crockpot runs very hot. No need to add salt; the lamb is salty. Delicious!

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:45 pm
thanks!!!!
does anyone know if mayo is gluten free- it doesn't say wheat but it has food starch and tapioca(wish I never looked at the ingredients- oy! half the words I can't pronounce)

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Nov 12 2014, 10:57 pm
eema1 wrote:
thanks!!!!
does anyone know if mayo is gluten free- it doesn't say wheat but it has food starch and tapioca(wish I never looked at the ingredients- oy! half the words I can't pronounce)

My Hellmann's real mayonnaise says gluten-free at the end of the ingredients list. The "food starch" in yours sounds problematic.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 7:50 am
Here's a link to product ingredients you may find helpful: http://www.glutenfreeliving.co.....diet/

Tapioca and food starch are both on the OK list.

imaima

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 8:45 am
Is there a way to make it without a crockpot?

ruby slippers

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 8:48 am
Thanks rubber ducky- you are the one!!

sky

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:05 am
We love yapchik here.

I also learned how to make a gluten free cholent from some gluten free guests we have. It has quinoa, short grain brown rice and wild rice.

sky

Post Thu, Nov 13 2014, 10:06 am
imaima wrote:
Is there a way to make it without a crockpot?

Yes, I have made it in the oven, just covered very very well. I first cook it on a high temp and then lower it and leave it in over night. [On yom tov I skip the high temp part and it still comes out really good].

ruby slippers

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 6:05 pm
Thanks to everyone for their advice on this recipe, our gluten free guest was so excited to have "chulent" that he could eat!

Odelyah

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 10:01 pm
miyodea wrote:
We call it yaptchik. It's basically overnight potato kugel with flanken.

You can either bake the kugel first and then put the flanken and leave it on the blech, or you can put the meat into the crock pot and pour the potato kugel batter over it to cook it all together.

Another variation is to peel potatoes and leave them overnight with salt and no water, then pour everything you find in the bowl in the morning (slimy black potatoes) into the pot with meat and fried onions. Not really my thing but I know quite a few people who really like it.

ETA you can get gluten free gefilte fish. And also many types of fresh fish besides salmon.

Trying to understand the slimy black potato concept-- not judging, just really curious. Can you elaborate/explain?

miyodea

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 10:11 pm
Odelyah wrote:
Trying to understand the slimy black potato concept-- not judging, just really curious. Can you elaborate/explain?

It's a version of yaptchik. My grandmother and her sister claim it's how everyone made it in Poland when they were young.

Peeled potatoes oxidize if they're left out of water, that's what makes them black. The salt draws out the moisture from the potatoes, which makes them slimy. The slimy black potatoes (+liquid that comes out from being salted overnight) go in the pot with the meat and fried onions. The potatoes have a very interesting taste and consistency. Some people really like it. Like I said, it's not really my thing.

Odelyah

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 10:49 pm
miyodea wrote:
It's a version of yaptchik. My grandmother and her sister claim it's how everyone made it in Poland when they were young.

Peeled potatoes oxidize if they're left out of water, that's what makes them black. The salt draws out the moisture from the potatoes, which makes them slimy. The slimy black potatoes (+liquid that comes out from being salted overnight) go in the pot with the meat and fried onions. The potatoes have a very interesting taste and consistency. Some people really like it. Like I said, it's not really my thing.

Thanks for your response! I know how potatoes turn black Smile I was just trying to understand the appeal. Usually most people try to avoid allowing their potatoes to oxidize (keeping in a bowl of water, making the kugel/ latkes quickly before they turn brown, etc.) so it is just super surprising to hear that some people make them turn black on purpose!! And slimy even! Wow I guess I just learned something new! I'm kind of curious to see how it tastes but not curious enough to actually try making it Smile .

pumpernickle

Post Sat, Nov 15 2014, 11:48 pm
Im just curious op, why cant you make a regular bean and meat cholent if gluten free is your concern? Not sayin...yapchik is divine! My neighbor makes it for erev shabbos for her younger kids and she puts chicken stew instead of flanken to make it more child friendly.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics