Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Ebola in NYC
Previous  1  2  3  4

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:16 pm
I hear a 5 year old boy in NYC has ebola. He has recently been in one of the effected countries, so he apparently caught it there. I think that makes a big difference- IMO, if all cases are caught quickly and quarantined immediately, we might be okay, but once it gets loose then we are all in trouble.

Dolly Welsh

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 9:29 pm
The boy tested negative. He doesn't have it B"H.

the world's best mom

Post Mon, Oct 27 2014, 10:16 pm
Correct. I was just coming to post that. B"H.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:23 am
The CDC* recently updated their info to clarify.

Where people are getting confused, is in the terms "airborne" and "aerosolized". Ebola is not airborne, the way some other viruses are. It doesn't just float around randomly looking for a host.

Aerosolized is when the virus is in a droplet (even microscopic) of body fluid, and it uses that fluid to maintain viability. An uncovered cough or sneeze can travel over 8 feet, and under the right conditions the virus can live on a surface for up to 2 days, depending on UV rays, heat, etc.

In other words, it's a heck of a lot easier to catch than we were originally told, but you won't get it just by walking outside and getting some fresh air.

Just for perspective - the average flu has a fatality rate of something like 0.12%, while Ebola has a fatality rate of 50 to 70%. 90% of all flu related deaths are in people over 65 who have preexisting medical conditions (CDC**). Ebola doesn't just pick on the weak and elderly, it can easily kill a perfectly strong and health person without immediate treatment - and even that is no guarantee.

*http://www.cdc.gov/vhf/ebola/transmission/human-transmission.html
**http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Oct 30 2014, 8:38 am
Scrabble123 wrote:
I'm just wondering where you got this misinformation from? We have known about the possibility of any virus coming to America because of air travel as well as because of bioterrorism. That's actually why we had therapies (medication) and vaccines being researched in labs. I agree that we should have been testing them already and did not because of the financials involved (or rather missing) in tropical diseases though. Hospitals have been preparing for Months for an Ebola patient.

Why is there so much more travel now than during other outbreaks? Why are we hearing of people, small numbers granted but numbers we never had before, of people across the US being tested or quarantined?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics