Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Hershey/Harrisburg, PA

amother

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 8:03 pm
My friend asked me to post for her: what is the community like and where do Jews live? Her dh would be working at the medical school. Their kids are grown. They're Conservadox and don't need an eruv, just an active community with welcoming families.
Thanks!!

theotherone

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 9:21 pm
Kesher israel in harrisburg is a Young Israel shul. Is that too frum for them? I dont know much about it except we davened there while on vacation in the area.

amother

Post Fri, Oct 24 2014, 8:06 am
Kesher Israel isn't officially YI. It's fairly modern but not super modern--it's an OOT mixed shul. It's that or Chisuk Emuna which is non-egalitarian Conservative (I'm not suggesting they go there, just explaining that that's all there is).

People don't live right by Kesher - in fact the shul has been talking about selling and moving. The more observant people in town live a bit further north, north of Division St, closer to CE and the JCC. People who drive on Shabbat, and you will find them at all the shuls in town, live further out.

The community is very welcoming with a lot of people who work at the medical center. The frum community isn't doing terribly well, but most of the issues affect young families (specifically, the lack of a high school and there will never be one: kids either have to be sent to board, or bus to Baltimore every day). If their kids are grown these problems won't affect them. There are a decent number of people who don't have roots in the area and came for jobs so it's not like some smaller places where everyone is local.

Giant carries kosher food but Baltimore is only about 75 minutes away so people go there to stock up and of course you can buy anything there.

Amother because I have lived there and it's a small town.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating