Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Checking Friends' Profiles

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:31 pm
Have you ever checked your friends profile and read their posts? Where they upset about it?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:33 pm
what do you mean checked their profile? There is nothing to check here.
Or do you mean on FB?
And if they are your friend, why would they be upset?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:36 pm
Their Imamother profile. You can seach all their posts.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
Their Imamother profile. You can seach all their posts.
First of all, they would never know.
And again, why would they be upset? What is there to be upset about this?

Dev80

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:42 pm
I think that's a valid thing to do, if you think you know some one to check their posts (or maybe I think it's valid b/c I've done it, but not for friends just older women from my community who I've recognized from key things they've said). If some one would not want you find out everything about them they post as amother or change small details. I know people could check my posts so often don't post things that would identify me or change things or use amother.

ETA - and if some one is making it obvious that they are themselves, then they shouldn't be upset b/c they didn't hide it and are okay with that...

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:20 pm
Do you mean going all private-investigator aka SNOOP in an effort to discover the identity of a poster? Even if I didn't have too much integrity to do such a thing, why would I waste my time? OF course I'm aware that some people have a deadly combination of lack of integrity and too much free time and do do such things.

If I read a post that sounded to me like someone I knew--which so far hasn't happened, possibly because I try hard NOT to let posts remind me of anyone I know--I would drop her a discreet PM saying that I think she's given away too much personally identifying info and she might want to revise her post to protect her privacy. I wouldn't say "If you're Raizel Katzanovis from Newport, Rhode Island, you were in my year in Machon Silver."

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 6:56 pm
What I meant was, if you know your friends name on imamother would you randomly check their profiles to see where they posted. Why would you call that snooping? They know you know their username. If anything is meant to stay private, dont you suppose they would use the anonymous feature?

granolamom

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 8:06 pm
I would not care if my irl friends who know me here too checked up to see my posts that they may have missed, but I think its a bit strange. why would you want to do that? how bored could you possibly be?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:06 pm
A friend of mine told me she went through all my posts and I wasnt fuming or anything, but definitely found it a bit disturbing. Can't say why exactly, I just didn't like it.
Anon in case she's still periodically going through my posts Tongue Out

zaq

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:51 pm
There's nothing illegal about it, but it's still somewhat sleazy. It's like reading the entries on your friend's kitchen calendar: it's out there in the open for all to see, but still rude of you to read it.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:58 pm
I have a number of friends who are on here and we know each others screen name. Every so often (sometimes weekly, sometimes monthly) or if I havent been on in a while, I will check their screen names to see if/what they posted recently. we will sometimes refer to our threads in conversation, so thats a way for me to know what they are talking about.

I dont think there is anything wrong with going back to read thru old posts either (a known friend or even a poster who interests you for whatever reason). I find it interesting to see how people change overtime. every year or so I go back and read my old posts too (and I have over 5k)

I dont do it to figure out who someone is, usually I do it on slow days when nothing else is going on and ill be like hey lets see if shprintzy posted anything recently or poster abcd had such an interesting view on that subject, I wonder if she has interesting views on diff subjects that I never noticed before, or xyz always has spot on labor advice, lets go look thru her old threads and see what gems I can find.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 11:16 pm
Its something out in the open. If someone is posting private info or something personal why would they post it under their username? I dont see how it compared to a kitchen calendar. Also, one didn't figure out who the person is, you know because you were told by them. Its like.... hey, let me see if she ever posted something interesting....

champion

Post Thu, Oct 23 2014, 4:38 am
Del
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette