Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
ISO podiatrist for orthotics (NY)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 1:00 am
Pediatrician referred my 2-year-old to podiatrist to see if she needs orthotics. He recommended someone specific because he said they are not all equally good at little kids and at orthotics, as opposed to things like ingrown toenails and athlete's foot type things. Problem is the one our dr recommended doesn't take our insurance. We have a medicaid health plan.

Hopefully this should be pretty minor so I am willing to travel for someone good, within NY 5 boros. Exact location not so important. Important is good with this type of issue, takes our insurance, and has appointments available within the next month or two.

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 10:08 am
Bump for morning birds?

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 3:44 pm
Afternoon? Anybody?!

Ashrei

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:17 pm
In my experience, physical therapists determine the need for orthotics, followed by orthopedist. My son was born with club foot and he never needed to see a podiatrist. (I don't know the specifics of your situation, but that's just our experience.)

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:27 pm
kidisplints. multiple locations. easy appointments. and great orthotist. she evaluates so you dont need to see an orthopedist. although if you do, dr scher in manhattan is great.
http://www.kidisplint.com/

mominwb

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 7:35 pm
I'm currently using Dr Falcone for my daughter
...he's a good doctor and diagnozer. His number is 2128384151. He has offices in Manhattan , Williamsburg and bay ridge.

amother

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 8:16 pm
I dunno, doctor said podiatrist, maybe a podiatrist needs to do the prescribing in order for it to be covered by insurance? Any experiences with this? The issue is flat feet/turning ankle.

Falcone is the one my pediatrician recommended but doesn't take our insurance Sad

Ashrei

Post Wed, Oct 22 2014, 9:45 pm
amother above suggested Dr. Scher, we've seen him, he's a pretty good recommendation.

Also in my experience, General practitioners (pediatricians) don't always know what they're talking about in this regard.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 4:37 pm
So I tried Kidisplints but when I called my pediatrician for the referral he said he thinks I should specifically go to a podiatrist first to assess whether she needs it, not to an orthotist which is what they are.

Falcone doesn't take my insurance.

The only Dr. Scher I see from a google search (unless someone offers more info) is an orthopedic foot surgeon or something, that's really not what we need. Again, pediatrician said specifically podiatrist but the ones he recommended don't take our insurance. Maybe based on what others said here I can ask if a physical therapist could do it, but then I'd have to do this whole search again for a physical therapist, and isn't a podiatrist supposed to be able to diagnose foot/ankle problems anyway?!

Anyway, doesn't ANYONE know a pediatric podiatrist in NY who DOES take medicaid insurance plans?

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 9:11 pm
Bump. Pretty please? Having a hard time here...

the world's best mom

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:14 pm
Dr. David Scher is an excellent orthopedist who deals with clubfeet a lot. He would probably be able to help. I'm not sure if he takes medicaid though. I would guess not.

Podiatrists can help for flat feet perhaps, but anything more than that probably needs an orthopedist. PTs have different opinions about braces than orthopedists do, but they can also recommend them.

sleepless

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:30 pm
Dr karmatopilos (sp?)
718-283-6520
she's located on bay parkway and 60th St in BP. I think they accept all insurances

amother

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:37 pm
The World's Best Mom, this IS about flat feet. To me it looks pretty severe so I kind of assumed some intervention would be warranted, but our pediatrician (who, despite what others are saying above, I feel confident with) said he can't make the call and would like a podiatrist to assess it.

Sleepless, can you please tell me a bit more about this doctor? What did you like about her? Do you know specifically that she is qualified to deal with this type of issue? Our doctor said to use someone who is qualified for this because many podiatrists don't see much of walking issues, more foot injuries/infections/etc.

sleepless

Post Wed, Nov 05 2014, 10:57 pm
She's an orthopedist. my son's feet turn inwards and a few people recommended her. She seems good. Not sure about flat feet

amother

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 12:06 am
With two different orthopedists suggested here and no podiatrists yet I guess I will call back my doc and ask if orthopedist will do! He must be good and tired of hearing from me... (this hasn't been our only issue but I do somehow end up with a lot of callbacks even considering...)

cotton candy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2014, 8:28 am
my dr recommends her also. She's a pediatric ortho. I went to her for my son's flat feet.

amother

Post Fri, Nov 07 2014, 12:07 am
Thanks for the recommendation. I ended up making an appointment with one of the podiatrists on my doctor's referral list, a Dr. Mehl. Hope it's the right move. Originally one of the perks was that his office is much much closer to me than the orthopedist recommended here, but that one didn't have any appointments available for a month so I'll be travelling to a different location anyway. Oh well...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics