Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
What do you do with dryer lint?
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:14 pm
My stackable washer/dryer is in a closet, so there's no room for a garbage can. With every load, I clean the lint gasket and I have to go all the way to the garbage can, which is kind of a pain. Anyone have any ideas of what I can hang on the wall, next to the dryer, to dispose the lint?

Lady Godiva

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:18 pm
I throw mine out in a small garbage can in my laundry room, but if I didn't have one or have room for one, I'd take it with me to the nearest garbage can.

How far away is your garbage can anyway?

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:35 pm
Put a sticky hook on the inside of the door (or if there's a little bit of wall in the closet) and hang a plastic grocery bag. Replace when full.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:37 pm
I have been told by those who know that dryer lint makes an excellent additive to compost bins or garden soil, making it lighter and improving the texture. One could also use it instead of polyester batting or cotton balls to stuff homemade soft toys. This would require a great quantity of lint, but you're not in any rush, are you?

If neither of these strategies will work for you, why can't you just pound a nail in the wall and hang up a plain dumb plastic sack with handles like a small sack from the grocery or pharmacy? Who's going to see it anyway? Of course if you're a feinshmecker who wouldn't be caught dead storing her dryer lint in such a plebeian article, buy yourself a nice simple small Coach handbag like these: www.ebay.com/bhp/coach-mini-purse and hang it on an elegant polished wall hook like this: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.co.....T8AaQ

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:41 pm
Why can't you just stash the lint in the pocket of your skirt or housecoat and toss it in a wastebasket next time you pass one?

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:44 pm
Quote:
Why can't you just stash the lint in the pocket of your skirt or housecoat and toss it in a wastebasket next time you pass one?

Your skirts have pockets? Where do you get them?

lkwdlady

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:46 pm
I hang a shopping bag on the doorknob for that purpose.

When the bag is full it gets thrown out.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 6:53 pm
animeme wrote:
Quote:

Your skirts have pockets? Where do you get them?

Goodwill, mostly, but my friend buys hers from outfits like LL Bean and Eddie Bauer. Generally, sportier skirts tend to have belt loops and pockets and dressier skirts have neither, though of course there are exceptions. If you love a skirt with no pockets, a seamstress or tailor can make on-seam pockets for you. But why would anyone be wearing a dressy skirt to empty the dryer's lint trap?

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:15 pm
Think all those nice slinky, stretchy skirts. I live in those at home. Otherwise I just came home from work or am on the way out in my nice skirts.

Also, if I put lint in my pocket, I would never remember it was there until I washed it.

Alterna-use: I know someone who creates dryer lint art.

Emotional

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:23 pm
I always wondered if a huge wad of dryer lint could be woven into something, like a sweater.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:25 pm
OP here,

The closet doesn't have a door, so anyone passing can see the garbage lying around. Therefor I want a neat looking thing, not just a messy looking bag.

Zaq, I am a little feinshmekker, but no thanks to your Coach idea. Perhaps something more appropriate for lint?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:53 pm
Personally, I walk to the garbage bin.

But this magnetic bin is way cool.

http://www.womansday.com/_mobi.....e-bin

kb

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 7:58 pm
What about something like this

https://m.bedbathandbeyond.com.....12009

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:02 pm
amother wrote:
OP here,

The closet doesn't have a door, so anyone passing can see the garbage lying around. Therefor I want a neat looking thing, not just a messy looking bag.

Zaq, I am a little feinshmekker, but no thanks to your Coach idea. Perhaps something more appropriate for lint?

Time to replace the battery in your sarcasm-detector system, hon.

Frankly, I think you're making way too big a deal over this, all because it's SUCH a tircha to walk to the garbage bin. DLKZ, maybe you have mobility problems and walking to the bin really is a hardship. So stick the lint wad up your sleeve or down your cleavage or in your sock and throw it in the trash when next you pass it. Why not? The lint has just been washed and dried with heat. It's clean and sanitized, so what's the problem?

You do realize, do you not, that by acquiring some sort of receptacle to collect the lint, you also create a new and completely superfluous chore for yourself, to wit: emptying or disposing of the receptacle when full. Why not forget about collecting the lint (unless you plan to use it for some purpose) and consider the walk to the trash bin part of your daily dose of exercise?

Last edited by zaq on Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

cookiejar

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:03 pm
I have a dryer lint gemach, I will take it all from you, and I lend it free of charge when ppl need. PM me for details.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:12 pm
zaq wrote:
Do you sew?

Sewing is not my hobby, but if it's an easy one, maybe I would push myself to do it.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:22 pm
Emotional wrote:
I always wondered if a huge wad of dryer lint could be woven into something, like a sweater.

Alas, probably not, because the fibers have broken into pieces too short to be spun together. That's what lint is, in fact--tiny fibers that have broken off the fabric. Since what you'd have would be a mixture of many different kinds of fibers, it may not even be possible to felt them together the way pure wool can be felted.

If you make your own paper from purchased material or by recycling old paper, dryer lint can be added to the slurry for a mildly interesting effect.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:23 pm
cookiejar wrote:
I have a dryer lint gemach, I will take it all from you, and I lend it free of charge when ppl need. PM me for details.

I. Love. This.

zaq

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:32 pm
OP, you're stuck in "park" when you should be shifting into "drive". Enough with the obsession with an attractive way to camouflage a lint dump. Either have a door installed on the closet--folding louvered doors are ideal because they save space and allow air to circulate-- or hang an opaque curtain in the closet doorway to conceal not just the lint dump but the entire laundry center. Laundry centers, be they ever so tidy, are seldom the sort of thing anyone really wants to show off to guests.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, Oct 21 2014, 8:37 pm
Pull out the lint last, right before you turn on the machine. At that point you're walking away anyway so just toss it wherever you end up.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics