Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Ideas for pickled dark chicken roast & turkey breast

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 3:43 pm
I just bought a pickled dark chicken roast and pickled turkey breast roast and would like ideas as to how to cook them.

I asked the butcher and he said they don't need to be cooked first in water like pickled beef; just roasted in the oven. He suggested covered with a little liquid in the pan.

I'd like more specific recipe ideas. We like sweeter, saucy meats.

Ideas?

Happykind

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:10 pm
Cut up onion
Cover pickled roast with 3/4 water
Place in crock pot overnite on low

Tastes delicious
Soft like butter
Easy as pie

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:11 pm
Happykind wrote:
Cut up onion
Cover pickled roast with 3/4 water
Place in crock pot overnite on low

Tastes delicious
Soft like butter
Easy as pie

Thanks, but I only have a tiny crockpot. I need an oven recipe.

Happykind

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:14 pm
I've actually cut the roast in half and cooked it in small crock pot. Although I'm not sure how tiny yours is.

OOTBubby

Post Tue, Aug 27 2013, 6:15 pm
Happykind wrote:
I've actually cut the roast in half and cooked it in small crock pot. Although I'm not sure how tiny yours is.

It's 2 qt. Not even half the roast will fit.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 8:36 pm
I have cooked a dark chicken roast in liquid, sliced and served it cold. Tastes kind of like turkey pastrami. Not good warm/hot.

Here are some ideas I found online so you can get a feel before you make up your own version.

http://www.food.com/recipe/pic.....27237
(I saw this recipe 3 different places online, so maybe it really is that good)

http://kosherscoop.com/2012/09.....east/

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 8:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:

I also found this one. I made it with the pickled turkey breast (I know the recipe's author and trust her fully). I sliced it today and looked really good. Didn't taste it because I didn't want to be fleishig.

For the pickled dark chicken I used cranberry sauce mixed with onion soup mix. I don't plan on serving it hot, either slightly warm or room temperature. Will slice it tomorrow and see how it looks.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Aug 29 2013, 8:47 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
ra_mom wrote:

I also found this one. I made it with the pickled turkey breast (I know the recipe's author and trust her fully). I sliced it today and looked really good. Didn't taste it because I didn't want to be fleishig.

For the pickled dark chicken I used cranberry sauce mixed with onion soup mix. I don't plan on serving it hot, either slightly warm or room temperature. Will slice it tomorrow and see how it looks.
Sounds good!
In a sweet sauce like that, the pickled dark chicken would probably taste good hot too.
K'siva V'chasima Tova!

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:14 am
OOTBubby wrote:

oot bubby - do you remember if this came out good? If so, I would like to try it for a pickled turkey pastrami roast that I accidentally bought.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 19 2014, 10:16 am
lkwdlady wrote:
oot bubby - do you remember if this came out good? If so, I would like to try it for a pickled turkey pastrami roast that I accidentally bought.

Yes, it was very good.

elmos

Post Sun, Mar 20 2016, 1:50 am
Did you do the chicken roast in the oven with the cranberry sauce and onion soup mix
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey