Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Does anyone else agree that it's ridiculous?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:56 pm
Yes, he's being ridiculous. In fact, he may just have won the award for Ridiculous Frum Scruple of the Day. (The longer I hang out here the more of these I hear about.) Where do people GET these nonsensical ideas?

I'll bet you a kosher pizza with extra cheese that dh just doesn't like the names, is making this up, and your friends are agreeing with him because they don't know any better and it sounds plausible.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:04 pm
The name Sarah takes an H at the end. That H is standing for the Hey that Hashem gave her when she stopped being "Sarai" which means "my princess", her love-name from her husband, and, started being Hashem's princess. This transition was a huge leap for womankind. It is behind the strength and importance of Jewish women in our history and our social life.

So scrupulously keep and preserve that final H in the spelling of the name Sarah.

It is very important. That it makes no sound is part of its importance. In English, that H represents the Hebrew letter Hey, which is one of the four letters of the Tetragrammatron, one of G-d's names, one that is never pronounced.

But you knew that.

ElTam

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:43 pm
Oh my gosh. So silly. There are TONS of FFB Sarahs and Avrahams. I don't think that's what people assume.

My Dh and I are both geirim. DH gets called up as hisname ben Avraham...and people forget or don't know he is a ger.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:45 pm
As far as I know, the middle name thing is only a problem if you only call the kid by one name. If you use both and your child is known by both ("Sara Leah! Come get your backpack!"), there shouldn't be an issue. So maybe DH would be willing to do something like that.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 3:57 pm
OUAT, when people were not so hmmm... Intense?? No mesoradik name was "not advised", ppl used nicknames, went by first name, second name, nn of second name wtv.
Then we became holier than thou lol

imasoftov

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 4:15 pm
This must be why Rivka's family was reluctant to let her marry Yitzchak ...

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 5:00 pm
My dh is just plain Avrohom. According to ur logic, I guess my kids are doomed to be thought of as geirim even though we are all ffb. Confused

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 5:34 pm
amother wrote:
you mean, it is totally normal to think so?

I was the first amother to post. I didn't want to comment about your husband, but did want to give you an idea you may not have thought of, then I saw that you did think of it.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:24 pm
I am 45 years old and I am bas Avrohom and it never once occurred to me that someone might think...and if they did, so what? It's nothing to be ashamed of.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:27 pm
Just so that you'd feel less alone, DH once mentioned something similar, offhand. It is not relevant anyway because he is a Kohen, so we never really discussed it.

We do have a daughter named Sarah (no middle name). I think it was just the constant being called up for aliyos that bothered him.

I didn't get it either, but I didn't press the point because it never mattered.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:45 pm
I read that in some circles a man is discouraged from marrying a woman with the same name as his mother. But if this girl had a middle name, everybody could start calling her that, or, just use both names together, and that might help that situation.

Just saying OP might consider using middle names. She said they didn't lean toward that.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:49 pm
Apparently I "look" like a giyores. (Whatever the heck that means) I have blonde hair and blue eyes, but so did half the girls in my Bais Ya'akov class. I say this because people have asked my friends if I was a giyores and when they said no, they said- "oh wow, she looks like a giyores". (Whatever the heck that means.) Actually I am FFB. I have often wondered what people meant by this, but I never took it as an insult! Even if someone heard a grandchild being called up to the Torah as ben Avraham and they thought said gc was a ger, SO WHAT???

Dina_B613

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:55 pm
He wouldn't want people to think that his grandchildren were the children of gerim because...? It's beliefs like this that keep Moshiach away.

Odelyah

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:40 pm
imasoftov wrote:
This must be why Rivka's family was reluctant to let her marry Yitzchak ...
OMG imasoftov Rolling Laughter Applause

amother

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:40 pm
My name is Sara and honestly I never thought of that.

That being said it's not right that her husband is being bashed so much over here.
He is entitled to his opinion and it's his children just like hers so they have to choose a name that works for both of them. ..

Good luck

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:01 am
OP, please tell your DH that he has succeeded in making every ger on this board feel defensive. Sad

He's also probably upset anyone who is named Sarah, or has a DD named Sarah, or is married to an Avroham, or has a DS named Avroham.

Not to mention insulting our Avos and Imahot.

Dina_B613 has it right. We need Moshiach NOW, because I am so tired of this craziness!

ocee

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 12:15 am
Inman, and what exactly is so wrong about being a convert??????
I'm not, but what the heck!?!!!???!?
I'm am shocked

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 2:06 am
My mother is Sara and my father Avraham. We've never been mistaken as Geirim and even if we did, I don't see the harm in that either.

Raisin

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 2:23 am
Yes, it silly.

Is your husband going to make sure your kids don't marry anyone blond, in case your grand kids don't look Jewish enough? Rolling Eyes

amother

Post Thu, Sep 18 2014, 3:26 am
OP here

We do have blond children. LOL

Thank you for the input! I am definitely relieved that I am not alone in the Universe, thinking that he is going a bit too far. My dh is not holier than thou, he is actually very friendly, I guess he is just afraid that our grandchildren will be judged.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names