Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Death of a Bosch

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:03 am
I finally opened the box with so much excitement.
I'm going to whip up nice fluffy challah for RH,fast and easy.
I will use whole wheat and raw honey to make it healthier
I asked around and a family member told me any recipe will do.

I put my machine together with the metal bowl that has the bottom dough hook, but the bowl doesn't lock into place.
I turned on the machine.
The bowl wobbles.
I called the company they said its ok, and that I'm going to love my machine.

So with great enthusiasm I started.
I proofed my yeast. Meanwhile I started saying my tefillot.
put in the rest of the wet ingredients.
Then slowly started adding my flour.

Flour is not being incorporated, so I turn the machine to a higher speed.
The dough looked very dry, so I added a little bit of water.
Still the flour was visible. I turned it to the highest speed

Then the hooks stalled. The motor was running, but nothing was spinning.
I stopped the machine as soon as I saw this.
I took out the very stiff grainy mass that still had flour not incorporated.
I started cutting it into pieces, and reintroducing into the machine.
With only 1/3 of the dough in, it started to do the same. The hook stalled, but the motor was on.

I saw there was no way I can salvage this mess. I threw out the stiff mass. Cleaned up the machine. I put the machine back together. I turned it on to see if the dough hooks would turn. The dough hooks turned, but the motor is making a funny noise and all of a sudden the hook starts jumping. So I tried the plastic bowl that locks. The hook also starts jumping

A BRAND NEW MACHINE, OUT OF THE BOX, THAT EVERYONE USES WITH OUT A PROBLEM.

I took it back to the store. They easily returned my money. This is why I bought it at BB&B

Decided to order a new machine.

Please help I really want to bake challahs for RH
I need the instructions written with easy to understand details, please.

Sorry if the post was too long.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:16 am
LOL ! I first thought it was about WW2 or even WW1!!

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:19 am
BDE

I'm sorry for your loss. Wink

That sounds extremely frustrating, but at least you have a sense of humor about it!

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:37 am
Yes, but the new Bosch is coming and I would like to learn how to use it with whole wheat flour.
Please, help

Signed clueless challah baker

PS- I'm usually not a comedian, maybe it's something new I should explore for the new year.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:47 am
I don't have a bosch , so I can't tell you how to use it, but I've seen other people use it and it doesn't look that complicated. Maybe that one was just a lemon. Good luck!

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 9:43 am
glutenless wrote:
I don't have a bosch , so I can't tell you how to use it, but I've seen other people use it and it doesn't look that complicated. Maybe that one was just a lemon. Good luck!

That's what I thought. I feel like such a dunce.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 10:47 am
Obviously you just got a lemon. It isn't likely to happen again. After many, many years of using other methods of making challah, I was given a lightly used Bosch, and I really love it -- it makes it so, so much easier. Get your new machine and give it a try. If you have questions, most of them are answered in threads here, and if not, just ask away.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:04 am
cbg wrote:
Yes, but the new Bosch is coming and I would like to learn how to use it with whole wheat flour.
Please, help

Signed clueless challah baker

PS- I'm usually not a comedian, maybe it's something new I should explore for the new year.
if you want a great recipe made in the Bosch with white whole wheat flour and vital wheat gluten let me know.

lkwdlady

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:17 am
here is something I worry about:

You see - you returned it to BB&B and rightfully so!

But what if a customer who does not keep kosher bought a kitchen item, put in her non kosher ingredients and didn't like her purchase so returned it.

BB&B sold in again - on sale of course and I go in and buy it -- does my whole kitchen become treif??

Happens to be that I have had a bosch for 10 yrs. I was never 100% happy like other people are. My machine wobbles so much that I have to hold it down with both hands and hold the cover down too from popping off. The other alternative is kneading dough by hand .... too strenuous for me so I have a little work out each time holding my bosch and its cover in place.

Hope your new one works out!

Last edited by lkwdlady on Wed, Sep 17 2014, 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 11:48 am
Anything used would not be put back as a brand new item. Especially if you say it's defective. If it wasn't defective and you don't like it, they probably have it as open box or donate it to goodwill or something.

In terms of wobbling -- the newer bosches have suction cups to keep the whole machine steady. The stainless steel dough bowl (not to be confused with the metal version of the plastic) does not lock into place and will wobble slightly, but not come off the base with the lid falling off. I just used mine for the first time yesterday and that was my experience. This bowl isn't made for newer models 100% but is till capable of working without being locked on. I'd rather a wobble than overextending my motor using the dough hook on the shaft.

sky

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 12:09 pm
I wouldn't run the bosch on anything but the highest setting with 5 lbs of flour in there. I think it is too hard on the motor. I was told to only do it on the highest setting.

smss

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:08 pm
I also broke my bosch by using it for whole wheat flour. you can do it, you just have to make sure the dough's not too stiff, whole wheat doughs need more water.

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:15 pm
ra_mom wrote:
if you want a great recipe made in the Bosch with white whole wheat flour and vital wheat gluten let me know.

Yes please, if it's not too much trouble
Include instructions even if it seems obvious

Can I use regular whole wheat?
Where do you buy vital wheat gluten?

Imogen

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 2:24 pm
Ruchel wrote:
LOL ! I first thought it was about WW2 or even WW1!!

Haha Ruchel, me too!

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 5:59 pm
Has anyone here tried ronit's recipe for 100% wow challah for the Bosch machine? Any tips will be helpful

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 6:52 pm
cbg wrote:
Has anyone here tried ronit's recipe for 100% wow challah for the Bosch machine? Any tips will be helpful
Yup... that's the recipe I was talking about Smile

It is delicious.

Just follow her instructions for the mixer.

kb

Post Wed, Sep 17 2014, 8:52 pm
lkwdlady wrote:

But what if a customer who does not keep kosher bought a kitchen item, put in her non kosher ingredients and didn't like her purchase so returned it.

BB&B sold in again - on sale of course and I go in and buy it -- does my whole kitchen become treif??

Happens to be that I have had a bosch for 10 yrs. I was never 100% happy like other people are. My machine wobbles so much that I have to hold it down with both hands and hold the cover down too from popping off. The other alternative is kneading dough by hand .... too strenuous for me so I have a little work out each time holding my bosch and its cover in place.

I actually asked BB&B about that. They told me if you return something, they send it back to the manufacturer. They do not resell it.

(Does the manufacturer send it out again as new? I hope not. But if they do, the Buzz has just as much of a chance to get a used non-kosher machine as BB&B!)

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 11:02 am
Ok, so the new Bosch came in.
There was definitely something wrong with the first one, because it got very hot right away. I couldn't even touch it.
I love the Bosch. It got warm, but not scalding hot.
Thank you to Ronit for a great recipe.
My dough, even using white flour, never came out so smooth.
Now I'm more apt to baking challahs weekly.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Sep 22 2014, 11:14 am
lkwdlady wrote:

Totally OT but a few years ago I bought a new (or so I thought) toaster oven in Walmart. Decided to stop and toivel it on the way home, so opened the box in the parking lot...and the whole interior had the moldy leftovers of someone's BBQ on it.

Went back into Walmart and they took it back no problem.....good thing I opened it right away, they could see the purchase was minutes before. uggghhhhhh

And just to end off, I love my magic mill. Haven't bought Challos since my friend taught me how to bake them when I was in my 9th month, and she's gonna be 16 on R"H. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads