Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Tadigi anyone?

Chickpea

Post Sun, Aug 10 2014, 2:43 pm
Has anyone here ever made Bukharian cholent? Whenever I make it, I cannot seem to get tadigi to form on the bottom of the pot. I was told that it depends on the type of pot that I use. For all you ladies that have made this cholent with success, I would soooo appreciate your recommending which brand pot is best for making this cholent. Tia

Chickpea

Post Mon, Aug 11 2014, 9:03 am
Bump

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:57 pm
Hmmm I do make rice that has taadig but it is just crunchy browned crust and I won't call it cholent.
Simiarly Iraqi tebeet is sometimes described as an equivalent of cholent because it cooks overnight but
it's basically baked rice and chicken casserole.

For taadig I cook rice normally in a non-stick pot. The trick is to sautee chopped onions with oil then add rice/water/seasoning. I usually transfer them into foil container and leave on a hotplate--we always have golden crust at the bottom without fail.

For tebeet I tend to use a slowcooker during winter but oven during summer. In a slowcooker, it's harder to get crust on the side and the bottom can burn a bit.

Chickpea

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:24 pm
Mrs Bissli, I thank you so much for trying to help me in my never ending quest to make tadigi. I posted this thread a while back after I was given a recipe to make a Bukharian chicken and rice cholent. I know it's not the classic proverbial cholent, but whatever it's called it came out great. However, they told me a beautiful golden crust would form on the bottom----which it didn't, only got a mushy brown coating. They told me that this crust won't form in the slow cooker pot that I presently use and that I need to use the right pot and cook on the stovetop. So what is this perfect pot? Who knows. I give up!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics