Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
No cheider for my son!!!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

frimamom

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:36 pm
amother wrote:
OP You can always wear a shorter sheital.

I dont think I should have to change who I am to get my son into a cheider. And I dont think I can live a double life.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:02 pm
OP, my son has curly peyos so I do understand that you don't want him to stand out, because I too want to send my son to a place where he will fit in. However, my son also has hearing aids. No matter his peyos or the color of his shirt he will stand out. I've been pleasantly surprised at how accepting the kids have been in all of his playgroups and day camps. They ask questions on the first day and that's it, they just accept that this is who he is.

Now if the difference in peyos will mean that he is different in other ways as well it becomes an issue. But keep in mind that kids are very accepting of differences, don't make it into an issue for him when it may not be one.

Good luck!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:16 pm
frimamom wrote:
Chabad is very different then the rest of the chasidos. I can't confuse my son.

You mentioned Gan Yisroel. Isn't that run by Chabad?

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:35 pm
frimamom wrote:
I dont think I should have to change who I am to get my son into a cheider. And I dont think I can live a double life.

Would it really change who you are by shortening the length of your sheital?

I was in the same predicament as you a few years ago. DD's school closed the same time as another school closed right before school started. The other schools closed their doors. No one wanted the girls from the second school which hurt everyones chances of getting in. We were all scrambling for places. By chanukah some girls were still not placed.

I would have worn a shorter sheital if that would mean the difference between school and no school.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:36 pm
SRS wrote:
I just read that Bais Rivka in Crown Heights robocalled parents that the school is indefinitely closed. And now another story. I have no advice for you. But I do think it is outrageous that schools open only to close. It is no mystery when your school is underwater. But too many people are reliant on miracles and open anyways only to close or not pay teachers. I can't think of too many more methods of operation that lack such yashrus beyond actually defrauding people.

I will let others put in their advice and I hope you make a scene of this because it should never happen.

LOL. not the same at all. Beis Rivka does this every year - delays opening, delays opening, but they always open.

frimamom

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:57 pm
amother wrote:
Would it really change who you are by shortening the length of your sheital?

I was in the same predicament as you a few years ago. DD's school closed the same time as another school closed right before school started. The other schools closed their doors. No one wanted the girls from the second school which hurt everyones chances of getting in. We were all scrambling for places. By chanukah some girls were still not placed.

I would have worn a shorter sheital if that would mean the difference between school and no school.

If you would change for a school, good for you. I always wore my hair long as a girl, always had a long wig. I can buy a short wig but who am I fooling? I won't stick with it and it doesn't change who I am.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:26 am
frimamom wrote:
If you would change for a school, good for you. I always wore my hair long as a girl, always had a long wig. I can buy a short wig but who am I fooling? I won't stick with it and it doesn't change who I am.

These externals like the length of my wig so don't matter to me that it is easy to say I would change my wig.

Anyway the Rabbinical Counsel got involved and forced the schools to accept those girls that didn't have places by chanakah. Hatzloucha. I will be following this thread to see when you get a place.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:35 am
my dh works in munckatch and is shocked to hear they didn't accept someone.
Did they give you a reason why they didn't accept your son?

If you really want to he could try to get you in.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:00 am
Yeshiva of Brooklyn? I know it's not chasidish but chasidish kids go there an rebbes teach there. Kindergarten is headstart so they will probably accept u. They took my (Sephardic) son 3 days before school started when he was going into kindergarten and I was still running around from school to school all day trying to find someone to accept him. It's a mix of kids but so far so good (he is in 1st grade now)

frimamom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 7:02 am
amother wrote:
my dh works in munckatch and is shocked to hear they didn't accept someone.
Did they give you a reason why they didn't accept your son?

If you really want to he could try to get you in.

He just said he doesn't think we'll fit in.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 11:10 am
Have you tried Krasna?

Apparently there is a big mix there.

Yocheved84

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:17 pm
This is not my world, but maybe the advice will help:

Send an email to the head of the school. Make your case. Speak of how highly the prospective school is. Ask to be put on a waitlist so if another child leaves (family moves, etc.)., your son can be next in line for a spot.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:11 pm
frimamom wrote:
Torah temima said no

Did they give a reason?

frimamom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
Did they give a reason?

They did not

wanderer

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 1:37 pm
OP, you should try Mosholo (or however you spell that). I know of several people who fit your description who send their sons there.

mandr

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:08 pm
Sometimes you DO need to tweak some aspect of yourself to get your child into a school. Plenty of people wear sheitels a bit shorter than they'd like, or stop wearing denim, or lose the internet - just to get their kids into school. It's normal. You can't expect everyone to cater to your specific type, sometimes you just have to bend a little. It's not a bad thing.

exaustedmom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:16 pm
Amother a few posts up generously offered to help you get your son into Munckatch. Take her up on it!!

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:18 pm
Isn't there a school called Tashbar? Or did they also close down?

Fabulous

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:20 pm
Amelia Bedelia wrote:
Isn't there a school called Tashbar? Or did they also close down?

Afaik it's only till age 5. She doesn't want to put him somewhere for a year or two and then have to change/transition him again, if I understood her.

monseychick

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:22 pm
Yocheved84 wrote:
This is not my world, but maybe the advice will help:

Send an email to the head of the school. Make your case. Speak of how highly the prospective school is. Ask to be put on a waitlist so if another child leaves (family moves, etc.)., your son can be next in line for a spot.

Your heart is in the right place Yocheved.. But I dont think the kind of schools OP wants even have email..
Page 4 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers