Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Gift suggestions for the mother after birth, not clothing
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 8:59 pm
What were the best gifts you have received after birth that weren't baby clothing? I want to get something for my friend but not clothing for the newborn. Toys? What type? Some nice pieces for design? What? Can anyone help me? It's not her first so anything I'm thinking of she may have already. And I'm willing to spend up to $40. Tia
Anonymous because friend or her sisters might see this post.

allrgymama

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:08 pm
When DD #1 was born, my friends got me a Barnes and Noble gift card to go buy baby books with. I was thrilled.

I got a small train set (like, 25 pieces, so within that price range) when my second DD was born for DD #1 to play with. That was also what I wanted.

In general, I think that any toy for the older kids to play with is a great idea.

piece

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:09 pm
breakfast delivery

agreer

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:12 pm
target gift card

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:33 pm
I feel that a gift card in this amount of $40 that can at the end be used for necessities like diapers or sleepwear is at the end not as appreciated and forgotten.

momX4

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 9:44 pm
mani pedi!

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:01 pm
I disagree with the amother above that diapers and such get forgotten. The most helpful gifts I recieved after each of my kids were the ones that were comprised of "necessities". I have a neighbor who always asked how much the baby weighed and then said "the diapers are on me" and gave a package of newborn/size 1 diapers before I even got home from the hospital. It's such a nice gesture.

Other things I found helpful were a friend who sent her cleaning help to my house the morning before I came home. For $15 I didn't come home to the disaster of DH left alone with the kids for 3 days. Again, so appreciated.

Toys or activities for the older siblings were always appreciated if done in good taste. Nothing that makes noise or has a million pieces to get left around.

Depending on what number child this is, clothing might actually be a very nice gift. When I had my fourth boy everyone who wanted to give a gift would ask what to get, assuming we already had a ton of clothing. But after being worn by 3 older siblings, most of what we had was worn out or painfully or if style.

If it's a first, you can ask if they have a bouncer or play mat. Both will run you around $40-50. A mobile might also be a nice idea. We got one as a gift once but my kids were all stomach sleepers so it didn't get much use.

If she's nursing a first, maybe a nursing pillow+cover. A personalized pacifier clip, or a few cute ones might be nice if she uses pacifiers.

Whatever you give, wrap it up nicely and give it with a warm Mazal Tov and very few expectations of effusive thanks. The gifts that are really appreciated are the ones that are given with lots of love and no strings attached.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:08 pm
momX4 wrote:
mani pedi!

Ok, that seems of an idea! I'm just thinking if a gift certificate to a friend that probably never had a mani pedi but would enjoy it is appropriate if I'm only 1- a friend 2- chassidish..
Please answer me, op here.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 10:37 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, that seems of an idea! I'm just thinking if a gift certificate to a friend that probably never had a mani pedi but would enjoy it is appropriate if I'm only 1- a friend 2- chassidish..
Please answer me, op here.

you have to know your friend. I hate having my nails done so would not appreciate this gift. But many women would love to be pampered like this. You gotta know your fiend. I personally would prefer a cleaning lady for 2 or 3 hours.

1musicalmommy

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:18 pm
Is she home from the hospital yet? Depending on what area she lives in , you may be able to set her up with the "shifra and Puah" organization. A friend did that for me with my last child and it was a huge help! Plus I felt like I was in a hotel.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:46 pm
1musicalmommy wrote:
Is she home from the hospital yet? Depending on what area she lives in , you may be able to set her up with the "shifra and Puah" organization. A friend did that for me with my last child and it was a huge help! Plus I felt like I was in a hotel.

Can you explain? What is this organization?

Fave

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:54 pm
A gift certificate for a newborn photo shoot - I'd appreciate that!

mommyof2cuties

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 11:58 pm
Baby perfume
Little fuzzy blanket
Pacifier clip
Cute baby shoes
Cute bonnet hat
if its a girl u can buy her a bracelet.

bcimhappy

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 12:03 am
My friend gave me a robe for the hospital ( the type that ties in front) and shampoo conditioner and fuzzy slippers. O and yummy food.

1musicalmommy

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:05 am
Shifrah and puah is a chabad organization that provides free breakfast in bed for the first week after babys born and mom is home. Having been a recipeint I can tell you, I was so relieved knowing I didnt have to worry about making breakfast for anyone, it was a huge help and load off my shoulders, I looked forward to a yummy delicious meal every day! The best part is that its true chesed and womt cost you a dime. Is she in the bk area?

5mom

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:36 am
Bath salts and other pampering products are nice.

babysmum

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:47 am
the best baby gifts iv'e got were toys and a magazine subscription.

amother

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 2:50 am
a giftcard. 6 neighbour families contributed and handed me a beautiful card (all the kids drew, parents signed , ppl wrote blessings etc.) and the giftcard (which covered a nice sum). In the beginning I didnt know what I needed/wanted for the baby, so I didnt shop at all (just had a few bare necessities like diapers, romplers etc.) after a few weeks I knew that I wanted: a bouncer, changing mat, needed a new baby blanket and winterclothes for 6 month olds, carrier. I got PLENTY of things on sale and 80% were covered by the gift card. It was such a big help!!! The greeting card is framed and hangs in dc'S room, it was very appreciated by us and gave us the freedom to choose what we purchase.

champion

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 3:55 am
Del

Last edited by champion on Wed, Dec 22 2021, 2:59 am; edited 1 time in total

Shopmiami49

Post Wed, Sep 03 2014, 6:43 am
All of the above are great suggestions. I also received once a care basket, which was sooooo nice and amazing!

Included was:
magazines
a new novel
pair of slippers
nosh
chocolate
homemade cookies
nice smelling soaps
Lanolin
sleeping mask
earplugs
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics