Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Chubby 6 year old

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:20 pm
My DS6 is getting really chubby. He eats more or less the same as his (slim) siblings, but he is always much more hungry than the others, so eats faster and always wants more.

I offer healthy options, and make sure he eats plenty of fruit and vegetables.

Do I need to be concerned at this age? Is this just puppy fat that will go once he grows taller? I don't want him to become 'the fat kid' and feel unhealthy or have trouble running around and playing.

I should add that I never ever comment about this in front of him or his siblings. I stress healthy eating and a balanced diet for the sake of taking care of our bodies, so never make it an issue of image.

My concern is for his health and also for how big he might get. He has a huge appetite and I feel terrible telling him the meal is over simply because I think he should be full, when he doesn't yet feel full.

So I guess my question is: do I need to be worried at this age, and if so, what can I do about it?

Rutabaga

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:31 pm
He might be having (or about to have) a growth spurt.

Is he very active? If he's running around a lot, especially outside in the fresh air, then he probably gets very hungry. If that's the case, then he'll probably settle down a bit once school starts.

If he's not very active but still very hungry, then there might be more reason for concern. Maybe he would be better off with more frequent smaller meals than 3 main meals a day. Perhaps a discussion with the pediatrician is in order.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 4:37 pm
make healthier choices for him. Whole wheat bread is more filling than rye. read the labels, dont buy the ones with corn syrup.

A snack bag should be 100 calories, not 250. I was told not to bake for snacks since I cant figure out the calories.

Have cut up vegetables for him to snack on if he is "still hungry". My DS gets an 80 calorie yogurt instead since he refuses to eat vegetables.

Give him the opportunity to have 30 minutes of exercise daily. Bike riding, trampoline or even supervised treadmill.

My DR warned me that my DS will be teased at age 9, thats when kids pick it up. DS is a friendly kid, so he doesnt get teased much, but he is very aware of his weight.

I know someone that has an obese DC. She talk to a nutritionist weekly and they plan the menu. Everyone eats healthy as a family.

rachel6543

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:38 pm
I can't give advice, as my child is the opposite, very skinny and I try to get creative to get him to eat more calories

But I think the first thing you should do is talk with your child's pediatrician and figure out if there is a health issue causing this. For instance, a relative's child of mine is on the chubby side, but that's due to a thyroid problem, which she is being treated for now.

After talking with the dr, then I would make an informed decision as to the way to best help my child, if it being changing diet, enroll in sports or exercise classes (soccer, gymnastics)...etc.

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:33 pm
Yes. I would worry. And I do. My seven year old is the same. Give one veg/fruit for snack and one corn pops/pretzel. Never talk about weight, only health. Make healthier, low fat meals for everyone. Teach him to recognize when he is full and to stop eating. Set limits, one meal per meal. For example: my son eats cereal for breakfast. Then he decides he wants a sandwich when he sees his brother has one. The answer is no! He chose his meal and he can't change his mind. If he kvetches he is still hungry, then he can have fruit. I don't believe your son is still hungry, he just likes eating, teach him that it is unhealthy to over eat. Never make it about far, but health

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:45 pm
I don't know how overweight he is , but provided he doesn't eat loads of and only junk food, I would be happy if my child was a good eater.
By the way, having a good appetite, is one of the best signs of health.
His nervous system is good.
I wouldn't lessen his portions if he's eating good, healthy food.
(I'm a medical student)

SingALong

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 7:27 pm
My daughter once had a huge jump in weight gain and percentage on her growth chart. She was a healthy eater. I stopped buying juice, only water. She went down in percentage (she still grew in height but not as much weight). Maybe try that?

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:45 pm
It sounds like you're doing everything right, and it's still not helping.

Definitely time to call the doctor. A good appetite is one thing, but "always hungry/starving" is not healthy. A referral to an endocrinologist is in order.

Good for you for being on top of this. The older a kid gets, the more a habit can set in, and the harder it is to lose weight. 6 year olds do notice things like this, and teasing can start early.

I had a friend who's 5yo was so overweight that he sweated when he walked (waddled). The poor kid was so miserable, it just broke your heart to look at him. She fed him sugar, dairy, and starch because "those were his favorites, and it made him happy." There was no talking sense into her. 6 years later, he's still really, really overweight and miserable. She tried to blame everything on her divorce. Sad

amother

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 3:08 am
OP here

thanks for all your thoughtful suggestions. I see a trip to the dr is in order, but I really didn't want to discuss this in front of my son, I simply don't want him to feel its an issue. I guess I have no choice.

Rutabaga

Post Tue, Sep 02 2014, 4:00 am
If you don't want to have a detailed discussion with the doctor in front of your son then call the doctor before the appointment to explain why you are coming in to see him/her. It would be helpful for the doctor to know the reason for the visit before conducting an exam and so he/she knows what questions to ask.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children