Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
How to say "don't touch my kid!" nicely?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:06 pm
someone's gotta have a good line for me... it's happened to me a few times lately that random people at the grocery store, or even people at shul, come on over and start stroking my baby's hand. she is still only a few months old & it makes me so nervous especially since she sucks on her hands! I need a good line that doesn't sound rude or snobby but still makes it clear. can anyone help?

marina

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 2:46 pm
"Oh, she's just getting over a very bad flu- don't touch her, I don't want you to get sick!"

kiwi strawberry

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:14 pm
"Oh, please don't touch her!" in an overly smiley way. That's what I did Smile

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 3:39 pm
I used to keep a mosquito netting over the stroller to avoid just that.

gittelchana

Post Sun, Aug 31 2014, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
someone's gotta have a good line for me... it's happened to me a few times lately that random people at the grocery store, or even people at shul, come on over and start stroking my baby's hand. she is still only a few months old & it makes me so nervous especially since she sucks on her hands! I need a good line that doesn't sound rude or snobby but still makes it clear. can anyone help?

Simply say: please don't touch my son/daughter. Don't give any explanations.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 1:47 am
You toucha my baby, I breaka you face.

Well, maybe not. But I know the feeling. Love the mosquito netting idea, though it wouldn't help in winter.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 2:11 am
MiracleMama wrote:
I used to keep a mosquito netting over the stroller to avoid just that.
This

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:19 am
The problem with having something to say is that it can only take affect after your baby is already touched...

freidasima

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:30 am
There really is no polite way out of it, to do it you have to be impolite. How many of us are able to do that? By the time one makes explanations it is usually too late.

rachel91

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:38 am
I don't see an issue, and I think it would just make the person, who touched your baby without bad intentions feel bad, afterwards.

But, if you have to say it, I would say something in the style Marina mentioned.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:50 am
Hand them a latex glove LOL

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 5:35 am
Rachel you don't see because I read you are Euro. We don't get these fears of germs (as a whole, there are exceptions, blahblah). I enjoy people touching my baby. My baby enjoys it, too.

rachel91

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 7:32 am
Ruchel wrote:
Rachel you don't see because I read you are Euro. We don't get these fears of germs (as a whole, there are exceptions, blahblah). I enjoy people touching my baby. My baby enjoys it, too.

Oh, didn't know it was a Europe vs US thing, I thought it was something that every individual approaches differently.
My grandma, who was a dotor in biochemistry (as I propably mentioned before), says that a little germs are healthy for the immune system, she said it to my mum, when my mum sterilized everything when I was a baby.

out-of-towner

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:27 am
rachel91 wrote:
Oh, didn't know it was a Europe vs US thing, I thought it was something that every individual approaches differently.
My grandma, who was a dotor in biochemistry (as I propably mentioned before), says that a little germs are healthy for the immune system, she said it to my mum, when my mum sterilized everything when I was a baby.

I believe this too, but I still don't like strangers touching my baby. I'm not neurotic about making everyone wash their hands before touching my kids, but I don't want them going to people who I don't know and don't owe anything to!

Blue jay

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:56 am
"Oh, please no touching, thank you....."
You can usually stop this when the said person starts to lean in and extend the hand. I have stopped many "cheek Squeezers" and I even lightly slapped someone away.... there are alot of weirdos out there!

Ruchel

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 12:44 pm
Please here would get very defensive if you said no touching. I would use the flu thing if needed.

mandr

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 2:18 pm
Yuck I could not stand it when people touched and played with my baby's hands, which then right into his mouth Sad Especially as an infant when I can't just wash his hands with soap easily.

I bought this: http://www.toysrus.com/buy/car.....98406

Not everyone notices it but I point it out if necessary. It's strapped around my baby's infant seat.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 3:14 pm
you could just say "please don't be offended", after you've said it, very sincerely.

busymom

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 6:39 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Seems like I'm the only American mom who thinks like you do! Smile I don't see the big deal of someone peeking into my stroller, touching my baby, and saying how cute she/he is. The people who like to do this are usually sweet older bubbie types, and they rarely do more than give a gentle touch on the arm. Chances are, they carry less germs than my older kids typically do, even after washing up! They mean well. I just smile, say thank you for their gushing compliments, and move on. (Now, if they'd want to cover my baby with wet kisses... that would be a different story!

Gotta add, I love that "No Germs on Board" sign! LOL

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 01 2014, 8:21 pm
busymom wrote:
Seems like I'm the only American mom who thinks like you do! Smile I don't see the big deal of someone peeking into my stroller, touching my baby, and saying how cute she/he is. The people who like to do this are usually sweet older bubbie types, and they rarely do more than give a gentle touch on the arm. Chances are, they carry less germs than my older kids typically do, even after washing up! They mean well. I just smile, say thank you for their gushing compliments, and move on. (Now, if they'd want to cover my baby with wet kisses... that would be a different story!

Gotta add, I love that "No Germs on Board" sign! LOL

Agreed. I've never freaked out from anyone touching my baby. She's a very healthy 11yo now (bli ayin hara) who had an immune system that can knock out anything within 24 hours. Our pediatrician agreed that germ phobia doesn't do babies any good.

I would not let someone hack, wheeze, or sneeze on her, but a light touch on the hand never killed anyone.

You know what's really bad for a baby? A stressed out, nervous, and uptight mother. Relax and enjoy!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette