Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How to address a boss

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:20 am
I started to work for a doctor. It is just him and me in the office which is very laid back. He happens to be a year younger than me.
When he hired me he told me I could call him by his first name and he calls me by my first name.
I never called him anything yet because I was embarrassed not really comfortable calling him dr x or by his first name.
I realized now that whenever he calls me on the phone he says it is dr x not his first name.
So my question is how should I address him when it is just us in the office?

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:22 am
Dr. First name is a nice compromise maybe?

Learning

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 2:21 am
Tablepoetry wrote:

I think dr. First name is weird and not used. Just call him dr. Last name. That what his patients call him and that's how you will call him in front of his patients. There is no way around it. It is formal and your relationship should be formal. You will get used to it.

DrMom

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 2:56 am
Tablepoetry wrote:

I think that sounds too much like a form of address a doctor would ask his children patients to use to help them feel comfortable. "Take a nice deep breath, Dr. Dave needs to hear your heartbeat now!"

I'd stick with Dr. Lastname at first.

I don't see an issue with calling someone by his first name, but here in Israel that is mor common than in many places (I don't know where you live or what the norms are there).

skcomputer

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 4:34 am
Call him by his first name during conversations, but call him Dr. Lastname when referring to him in front of patients. That's what I've seen.

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:19 am
skcomputer wrote:
Call him by his first name during conversations, but call him Dr. Lastname when referring to him in front of patients. That's what I've seen.

Yes, this sounds best.

amother

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 8:14 am
Thanks for your responses. I would call him by his first but when he calls me he says " hi it's dr. X" so I feel funny calling him by his first name. The truth is some if his patients call him only by his first . Of course in front of patients I call him dr. X

kb

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 9:55 am
Why shouldn't you call him Dr. Lastname? Cuz he's a year younger than you?

One day we're going to be old and going to doctors half our age... should we say, "Billy, my arthritis is acting up again"? NO. A doctor worked for his credentials, and has a title accordingly. His age shouldn't be a factor here. I'd call him Dr. Lastname.

Also, it's good for professionalism to keep things somewhat distant. You don't ned to be on first name basis with your boss.

Learning

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 11:30 am
kb wrote:

One day we're going to be old and going to doctors half our age... should we say, "Billy, my arthritis is acting up again"? NO. A doctor worked for his credentials, and has a title accordingly. His age shouldn't be a factor here. I'd call him Dr. Lastname.

Also, it's good for professionalism to keep things somewhat distant. You don't ned to be on first name basis with your boss.
LOL

HonesttoGod

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 11:36 am
kb wrote:

Plenty old people I have seen callng their drs by their first name...the amount of times they are there! LOL they are friends already!

All my coworkers call our bosses by their first names and they call us by our first names too. Not awkward at all but then again there are several of us here.
You could just call him Dr. No name or last name.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 12:12 pm
Really, a doctor by his first name? Pass nisht by me.

ElTam

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 2:04 pm
I would call him Dr. Lastname until he tells you not to.

debsey

Post Fri, Aug 29 2014, 5:46 pm
ElTam wrote:
I would call him Dr. Lastname until he tells you not to.

I agree. But I'm not a fan of all the first-naming of professionals anyway. I hated when college professors would come in and say "Call me Steve..." Your name is Dr. whatever, that's your title. I'm not here to hear from "Steve", I'm here to learn from Dr. X.
And if I'm working in the office, I'd like to be known as Mrs. X. That puts us on an equal footing, IMHO.
I know, I know...I'm old fashioned.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics