Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Please tell me all about Teaneck
1  2  3  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:19 am
We're considering moving to Teaneck and I would love any info about the area you can give me. We're Orthodox, in the 30-35 age group, and have 6 kids. Don't have a lot of money. We're currently living in a very, very small community in the western US (very, very small). We're wanting to move partially to be a part of a bigger community with more resources and partially so dh can get a better job.
We've been googling Teaneck for an hour and just aren't sure where we'd fit in best.
We are used to the small, close knit community we have here. Anyplace that has that kind of feel to it near Teaneck?
Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:59 am
Fair Lawn

dancingqueen

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:04 am
It's a huge Orthodox community.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 1:37 am
dancingqueen wrote:
It's a huge Orthodox community.

OP here.

I know, that's one of the big draws (the other being lots of potential for a job in dh's field). I just don't know, are some areas more "cliquey"? We don't know a single person there.

Where are the cheaper neighborhoods? Do laws allow an 8 person family to move into a 2 bedroom apartment?

rkade10

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 2:41 am
Gotta second Fair Lawn. Nearby, so practically the same amenities in terms of schools, restaurants, organizations as Teaneck - especially if you have a car - easy public transportation to NYC (I'm assuming that's where your DH's job is). The community - in general - is much much much less cliquey and materialistic than Teaneck - in general.

The trouble is, I believe that 8 people in a 2 bedroom apartment will be very out of the norm in either community. I don't know anything about laws against it, but in Northern NJ most with 4 (or even 3) kids live in houses.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:58 am
We live in Teaneck and love it. Our shul is very friendly and welcoming and kid friendly. We live south of cedar lane area and daven at Arzei Darom. If you want more information, let me know.

Its not a cheap community though. I don't know what the lease laws are.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:02 am
rkade10 wrote:
Gotta second Fair Lawn.

The trouble is, I believe that 8 people in a 2 bedroom apartment will be very out of the norm in either community. I don't know anything about laws against it, but in Northern NJ most with 4 (or even 3) kids live in houses.

For Fair Lawn... Definitely not the norm. The two bedrooms in the more affordable complex are much smaller and totally not doable, and the two bedrooms in the other complex would still be VERY tight. Do you mean to put 6 kids in one bedroom? There are also 3 bedrooms, but they are very expensive. At that point you are better off renting a house if you can find one, if you must rent.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

I know, that's one of the big draws (the other being lots of potential for a job in dh's field). I just don't know, are some areas more "cliquey"? We don't know a single person there.

Where are the cheaper neighborhoods? Do laws allow an 8 person family to move into a 2 bedroom apartment?

I've no idea what the laws are, but you're going to be hard pressed to find a landlord who is willing to rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment to a family of 8. I think the standard guideline is 2 persons per bedroom, so you'd be looking at a 4 bedroom unit. Or at the very least 3 bedrooms.

As someone mentioned, Teaneck is a relatively expensive community. I think you'd do better in the short run looking at less expensive communities with lower rent, where you could afford a larger space.

Sanguine

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:41 am
I may be wrong but if you have 6 kids and don't have a lot of money Teaneck isn't for you. There are wonderful things about Teaneck but it's an expensive community. I'm not even talking about rents. I'm talking about just activities for the kids. Optional activities that everyone else is doing.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:03 am
How about Passaic - it's cheaper than Teaneck and definitely not cliquey. You will get more for your money and it's an easy commute to Manhattan. It also depends upon what hashkofoh you want. Teaneck area is more modern than Passaic. I agree that you'll find it hard to get a landlord to allow 8 people in a 2 bed apartment.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:24 am
OP here.

Thanks for the input. We can't afford to buy a house right away, so would have to rent. But the rentals we can find that are 3-4 bedrooms are $2,000+ a month, which is 2-3 times as much as we pay here. Also we're really not going to fit in a community where everyone has 3 kids and $250k annual income, yk? Is that more like what Teaneck is like?
Ideally we'd like somewhere in NJ. Any more suggestions to communities that may fit us? We were hoping $1,200 or less for renting a 3 bedroom but maybe that's not realistic...?

suzyq

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Thanks for the input. We can't afford to buy a house right away, so would have to rent. But the rentals we can find that are 3-4 bedrooms are $2,000+ a month, which is 2-3 times as much as we pay here. Also we're really not going to fit in a community where everyone has 3 kids and $250k annual income, yk? Is that more like what Teaneck is like?
Ideally we'd like somewhere in NJ. Any more suggestions to communities that may fit us? We were hoping $1,200 or less for renting a 3 bedroom but maybe that's not realistic...?

Not realistic in the NY area. Maybe, maybe you can find that for a 2-bedroom. If you're lucky.

saw50st8

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

There are people of all incomes in Teaneck, but the majority earn at least $100,000/year (not that $100,000 goes very far with a lot of kids, but I digress). Rentals in Teaneck for 2 bedroom apartments are around $1750. There are plenty of families in my area that have 4-5 kids.

I don't think there are any places in the NY/NJ area where you can find rents like that. You can look at Elizabeth, Linden or Edison to see if they are any cheaper.

Do you have jobs in the area yet?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:37 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

Are you looking to be in commuting distance of NYC? If so, its going to be difficult, of not impossible to find a 3 bedroom apartment in that price range, particularly in walking distance of an Orthodox shul.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:37 am
Teaneck isn't for you, then. Passaic is larger families and lower income. Still, you'd be hard pressed to find something in that price range. But that applies to anything pretty much com mutable to NYC which would work hashkofikly.

amother
Black

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:38 am
Deleted.

Last edited by amother on Mon, Jan 25 2016, 4:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 11:42 am
amother wrote:
OP here.

The 3 bedrooms in fair lawn are $2,500+/mo. House rentals are ~$2,500/mo for the few that I've seen, but they aren't extremely common. $1,200 is very unrealistic for a family of 8.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:20 pm
DH grew up in Teaneck, I grew up in Fair Lawn--which, as others have mentioned is only 10 minutes from Teaneck, so I know quite a bit about both communities. I'm happy to answer questions about either community, if you would like. I'll echo what others have said, though, you will likely have a hard time finding a decently sized apartment or house to accommodate a family of 8 for $1200 a month in NJ.

I'll make a plug for Highland Park/Edison, where we currently live. The community has several shules, and is large, but not quite as vast as Teaneck. You will find families of all sizes and hashkafot here. Plus, we're only an hour commute to NYC, an hour and a half to Phili, an hour to Lakewood, and 45 minutes to Teaneck. Rent here is certainly cheaper than Teaneck or Fair Lawn. I've seen 3 bedroom rentals in 2 family houses go for ~$1600-$1700, and even 2 bedrooms in some of the apartment complexes that do start at $1200, but prices do range, depending on size, location etc.

self-actualization

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:27 pm
If you are willing to consider southern New Jersey, you might want to look at Lakewood. While there are arguably some downsides to this community, it is probably the least expensive Torah community in the US in terms of housing and schooling, and no one will blink at a family with 6 kids squeezing into a small space.

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 12:52 pm
I want to recommend that you look into Rockland County, NY. It borders New Jersey and is not far from Teaneck, Fair Lawn and the like, but is less money. Monsey, Spring Valley, Wesley Hills, Airmont.....these are parts of Rockland County that have large (and fast growing) orthodox communities of ALL "flavors." I think it is less $$ than Teaneck. Good luck.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating