Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
How much did you spend on your son's Tefilin?

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:16 pm
How much did you spend on your son's Tefilin.

For my older son 9 years ago we spent $2,000 and now I am buying for another son and the same type of Tefilin (many Hidurim) it is costing $3,000.

I am curious what it is costing others?

boysrus

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 6:45 pm
We have been paying about $1100. I guess my sons' tefilllin are not as top notch as yours. That's life.

Frenchfry

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 6:48 pm
Just spent 1800

Orchid

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:13 pm
$1900

Six boyz

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 8:33 pm

Orchid

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 4:59 am
Orchid wrote:
$1900

Mistake- it was actually $1500 - don't know why I thought otherwise- confirmed with DH.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:12 am
I can't recall if it was $350 or $500. Through the school, which buys them from a sofer in Israel.

I wonder why the ones you're buying are so much more expensive.

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:31 am
Barbara wrote:
I can't recall if it was $350 or $500. Through the school, which buys them from a sofer in Israel.

They want a particular sofar - a sort of designer Tefilin. We ordered my son's about two years in advance.

mha3484

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:38 am
DH is a sofer and he says the average price his customers pay is $1,500.00.

The most basic parshios on average cost 3-400. Very good will cost closer to 700 and spectacular will be 8-900.

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 6:40 am
Barbara wrote:

I am the OP

Gorgeous Parshios, the Battim and the retzuos have all the hidurim. DH feels and I agree with him DS will be using this everyday to daven with and we would rather spend our money here then on a big party.

In car terms basically we are buying a Rolls Royce instead of a Chevy.

Barbara

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:18 am
amother wrote:
I am the OP

Gorgeous Parshios, the Battim and the retzuos have all the hidurim. DH feels and I agree with him DS will be using this everyday to daven with and we would rather spend our money here then on a big party.

In car terms basically we are buying a Rolls Royce instead of a Chevy.

Sorry. I misread your post as a vent about the rapidly rising prices, and thought you were looking for less expensive alternatives. I see that you really just wanted to compare your Rolls Royce to someone else's Maserati.

m in Israel

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:44 am
Barbara wrote:
Sorry. I misread your post as a vent about the rapidly rising prices, and thought you were looking for less expensive alternatives. I see that you really just wanted to compare your Rolls Royce to someone else's Maserati.

No, she wants to compare a Rolls Royce bought 9 years ago with one bought now. She was very clear in her OP that she bought a specific type of tefilin 9 years ago and is buying the SAME type now (she specifically says -- many hidurim -- clearly she realizes these are an expensive type) for 50% more. It is true that her topic is a bit vague, but her OP is clear as to what she is asking.

kb

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 8:55 am
Op, did you ask the sofer why it costs so much more than it did 9 years ago? We haven't bought tefillin yet (no one even started school here!)

poelmamosh

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 9:33 am
Op: Is this price for one pair or two?
(Chabad Bar Mitzvahs get 2 - Rashi and RT)
If 2, the prices seem on par with many of the posters here.

I do know that comparable parshios - same ksav and hiddurim-- from Israel vs the US can cost a lot less (unless you are talking about one particular sofer).

amother

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 10:35 am
poelmamosh wrote:
Op: Is this price for one pair or two?
(Chabad Bar Mitzvahs get 2 - Rashi and RT)
If 2, the prices seem on par with many of the posters here.

I do know that comparable parshios - same ksav and hiddurim-- from Israel vs the US can cost a lot less (unless you are talking about one particular sofer).

One pair, when they are adults and feel they should put on both, then they will buy it themselves. I am not Chasidish but know quite a few Litvish who put on both.

The major expense is in the Battim Macher I think. DH takes care of it and the Teffilin are being made in E"Y.

I guess my real question is how much is the inflation on Tefillin over the years?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children