Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
"Amielle" for a girl?

amother

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 11:54 pm
"Amiel" seems popular for boys, but in English it seems like it could also work for a girl as "Amielle".

Thoughts?

Blue jay

Post Sat, Jul 12 2014, 11:56 pm
Amelia?
I know for certain that is an English girls name...not sure if that is what you are looking for.
It is a pretty name,

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 12:04 am
Thanks! But I was asking whether anyone thought that "Amielle" could be used for a girl, since "Amiel" is typically a boy's name...

hinenimuchan

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:44 am
Had to answer this post. My son's name is Amiel! Funny to hear you say that it's "popular" and "typically" used for a boy...never was aware of that name before I found it in Sefer Hashemot and VERY rarely have heard ANYONE else by that name since. Maybe it caught on later (he's in his 20's).

Anyway, I do agree with you that it looks and sounds BEAUTIFUL and feminine in English when finessed according to your proposed English spelling. Although I am not generally in favor of non-gender names or adding "ah" or "it" to a boy name, I think in this case the meaning is neutral and the name is rare enough and beautiful enough that I would have gone with it for a girl if I had thought of it.

chani8

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 4:53 am
It's a boys name. Why not Amiella?

She may be annoyed one day that she has the masculine version.

I know I find it hard to call my friend Arielle. Just want to add that 'ah' to the end. It's almost painful not to.

That's my two cents.

invisiblecircus

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 5:05 am
I've never heard of Amiel for a boy but I like it!

As for the girl's version you are proposing, while I understand what Chani is saying about Arilelle vs Ariella, in English it is common to add "elle" to names to make them feminine such as Gabrielle and Danielle, so maybe it depends on what kind of community you're in as to whether Amielle would sound strange for a girl or not.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 10:13 am
Arielle, Gabrielle, Danielle, Raphaƫlle... you can do it

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 11:42 am
I appreciate all of the feedback - positive and negative! You guys rock! Thanks so much.

hinenimuchan

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 12:14 pm
Just want to add that the timing is very right for the name Amielle. It is a combination of Ami (Ayin Mem Yud) (my people) and (El)(I.e. G-d). We are currently undergoing a major strengthening of our identity as an Am with a common destiny according to Hashem's plan. Furthermore, the original Amiel was one of the Meraglim. Like the meraglim, as we approach the end of our exile, we have to be so careful not to underestimate our ability to fulfill our destiny in Eretz Yisrael with Hashem's helpl

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 2:14 pm
I know an Imiel pronounced Eemi El, (Hashem is with me)

She who was born two months ago... cute baby....

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 3:11 pm
hinenimuchan wrote:
Just want to add that the timing is very right for the name Amielle. It is a combination of Ami (Ayin Mem Yud) (my people) and (El)(I.e. G-d). We are currently undergoing a major strengthening of our identity as an Am with a common destiny according to Hashem's plan. Furthermore, the original Amiel was one of the Meraglim. Like the meraglim, as we approach the end of our exile, we have to be so careful not to underestimate our ability to fulfill our destiny in Eretz Yisrael with Hashem's helpl

This is actually what turned me onto the name after I heard it and thought it was beautiful. I thought "This is perfect for the current situation".

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:17 pm
I love the name Amiel - it's my son's name. But honestly, I have wondered if it sounds feminine to people not familiar with Jewish/Hebrew names because of the -el ending. On the flip side, all the Amiels mentioned in Tanach (I think there are 3 or 4) are men. I have met an Amiella, that seems to be an actual female name already in use.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 13 2014, 8:19 pm
I love the name Amiel - it's my son's name. But honestly, I have wondered if it sounds feminine to people not familiar with Jewish/Hebrew names because of the -el ending. On the flip side, all the Amiels mentioned in Tanach (I think there are 3 or 4) are men. I have met an Amiella, that seems to be an actual female name already in use.

Learning

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 2:35 am
I think it sounds too much like a boy's name. It is too risky. Some girls would like it but others might feel strange and embarrassed.

belolah

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 3:01 am
It's a beautiful name with a lovely meaning but if she ever might live in Israel or amongst Hebrew speakers I think it would be a bit strange. That's my 2 agurot Wink

heidi

Post Mon, Jul 14 2014, 7:14 am
I know an Israeli named Amiella. Otherwise, I have not come across women with the name Amiel

BrachaBatya

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 1:40 pm
It's pretty!

Dina_B613

Post Mon, Jul 28 2014, 3:16 am
I met a girl who was Avielle, and she didn't seem to have a problem with it.

I think it's beautiful, and feminine with the extra 'le.' It's kind've like "Arielle" for a girl Wink Also, gender neutral names/girls taking boys names are popular in Israel. "Liora" is now an "old" name but "Lior" is in for boys and girls - same with Noam. Go for it!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names