Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club
When My Abuser Said "I'm Sorry"

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 3:49 pm
When my abuser said "I'm sorry," he didn't mean he was sorry. When you hurt someone, "I'm sorry" should be the words that mean, "I know I was wrong," "I'm going to get help," "It will never happen again."

When my abuser said I'm sorry he really meant, "I wonder if she'll need a doctor for the fork I shoved down her throat. That was a lot of blood she coughed up. I wonder if I'm going to get caught this time."

When my abuser said I'm sorry he meant, "Those welts from the wooden spoon hitting her legs won't be gone for days. I hope she won't show have the guts to show them to anyone. I hope she believes all the lies I've told her that no one will help her. That no one will care about her. That she'll go to a foster home where it's even worse and never see her brothers and sisters again."

When my abuser said I'm sorry he meant, "I really lost control. The screaming was so loud from when I threw her down the stairs, when I picked her up by her hair and then threw her down again so I could kick her as she tried to curl into a ball to avoid the blows, that even the neighbors who have ignored what goes on in this house for months, for years, might actually do something this time."

When my abuser said I'm sorry he meant, "Is anyone going to notice the blood from where I beat her over the head with a hairbrush/a shoe/a metal pipe, or will her hair cover it?"

My abuser didn't say he was sorry the last time he laid his hands on me. I was 18 and so filled with rage that the thought of it scares me still. It scares me that so much anger could be inside my body. I had my hands in my pockets. He hated it because it made me slouch. He grabbed my arm, dug his fingers into my arm, and told me to take my hands out and stand up straight. I didn't. He dug his nails in, drawing blood. I looked at him. I said, "If you ever touch me again, I will break every bone in your body." And I meant it. I didn't know how. He was still bigger than me. But I meant it, and he knew I meant it. He didn't say he was sorry. He never said he was sorry again.

imasinger

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:21 pm
Very powerful.

That is the moment when a victim becomes a survivor.

proud mama

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:18 pm
Wow that's a powerful piece and I can imagine it took a lot of courage to get to this place. Salut

Iam both shocked and horrified and please tell me this is exaggerated! Are there really such horrible ppl? I was crying when I read your piece. I'm soo glad you took the courage to stop it!!!!! Hug Hug Hug Hug

debsey

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 5:36 pm
Wow. Just wow. You are an awesome writer and amazing for having survived and having the courage to write this....
debsey

mfb

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 6:18 pm
Salut Amazed at your courage to actually verbalize the abuse. I hope this helps towards your healing!
Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug Hug

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 7:28 pm
OP here. Some identifying details changed, but no, this is 100% true and about 1% of what I lived through. I thank HKB"H for getting me through it one piece and for not letting it stop me from having a normal life with a husband, children, yiddishkeit, friends, etc.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:00 pm
I have no words....just Hug

sweetwife

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 9:51 pm
Wow! So powerful and painful at the same time! You must be really strong and I admire you for that!!
Thanks for sharing! Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> The Imamother Writing Club