Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Anyone go back to school for nursing/np?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 3:11 pm
I have several children, work part time but have always wanted to be a nurse practitioner. has anyone ever done something this courageous? am I crazy to even think of doing this? any advice of schools? I have no degree...thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 10:57 pm
No nurses? Noone change professions midlife??

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:45 pm
I went back for nursing as a second career with 2 small children. It was the biggest mistake I've made in my life. The schooling is very difficult and the field is flooded in the New York area. 3 years after graduating I have yet to find a job. If you do go, I would strongly recommend that you do a BSN program as most hospitals require a bachelors degree.

eschaya

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:14 am
I went back to school to become an RN when I had 3 kids. Did an accelerated masters in 16 months. It was one of the best decisions of my life. It was very hard, no doubt, but in the long run it was so worthwhile.
I'm now back in school again, this time to become an acute care nurse practitioner and nurse educator. I have 4 kids now and I'm working now also. This time I"m in school part time because I need to work. Again, it's hard and stressful, but because of how wonderfully my last school challenge worked out, I'm posititve that this one will too.
pm me if you want details.

eschaya

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:24 am
Just want to address the previous imamother's concerns. It seems like she did an associate's degree and that she lives in the NY area. Both of these will make it more difficult to get a job.
Nowadays, a BSN is pretty much the standard entry level education into nursing, and especially if you plan on continuing on to become an NP.
Getting a first nursing job is always difficult, but if you live in New York it is even more so. If you live anywhere else, it may take time, but once you have that first experience you are very marketable and it is really wonderful to have so many jobs to choose from.

Mitzvahmom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:54 am
I was lucky and got a job with my associates degree, it was all about the people you know

Just about to complete my BSN, awaiting approval of my final paper.

Additionally, just to continue my craziness. I have applied for NP programs, just waiting to hear back from two Smile

ima22

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 3:40 am
I did an accelerated bsn program with 2 very small kids. You need a lot of support (husband and/or other family, friends or ability to pay for help). Took a while to find a hospital job but find ot extremwly rewarding. Was worth the wait and thw hard schoolig. For me the toughest part was juggling home, kids and school.

simchatomid

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 4:37 am
I went back to school with little kids and am SO thrilled I did. No I didn't find my dream job straight from school (in nyc area) but if you're creative, interested in advancing in the field and enjoy working then there's nothing to worry about- you'll get there soon enough. There are so many different options and types of positions in nursing, you really have the world opened to you. And I find that the nursing theory is so in-sync with many women's desire to nurture and take care of people- it makes it a truly fulfilling career.

I also went to an excellent nursing program which really added to my excitement about the profession (took out loans but well worth it- I've heard straight from hospital HR that it DOES make a difference where you've gotten your degree from at this point- and with a hospital salary the loans will feel just like another car payment). feel free to pm me with any questions -

Definately go for the bsn though- a necessity nowadays.

citimom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 7:21 am
Thanks for all the responses! I guess in struggling with my decision bec I have a good job in the medical field already that makes about the same salary but I feel like I'm at the highest point of where I can get in that field. I would definitely only consider bsn programs. Thanks again for your suggestions!

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 7:52 pm
oh I just came across this thread I really want to go to nursing school. At least first a RN and then I could do an online Rn-BSN program. What is your opinion of those? I don't know if I can do it. I work full time, have three kids, and I'm a single parent. Am I totally crazy.........

Mitzvahmom

Post Fri, Jul 25 2014, 9:41 pm
amother wrote:
oh I just came across this thread I really want to go to nursing school. At least first a RN and then I could do an online Rn-BSN program. What is your opinion of those? I don't know if I can do it. I work full time, have three kids, and I'm a single parent. Am I totally crazy.........

go straight to BSN, hospitals do not hire associate degree nurses anymore. Unless your ok with home health or working in a nursing home.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 6:25 pm
I'm a nursing student myself (I'm in the UK though). The course is challenging, but it's extremely rewarding and I absolutely love it.
I was wondering, to those who are nurses or nursing students, did you go to a religious school? because at my school almost no one goes into this field (especially in the UK?) Many of my school friends went on to do health care jobs, pharmacy, speech therapy etc etc but no one chose nursing. Even I didn't do nursing at first (I am doing post graduate degree in nursing).

shira143

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 10:51 pm
Mitzvahmom wrote:
I was lucky and got a job with my associates degree, it was all about the people you know

This! I'm a strong believer that life is about who you know, then, what you know. This has been my personal experience and I've also conversed with others in my workplace and having a previous connection has consistently came up.

In regards to OP's question, I can't answer because I am looking into nursing myself. Try allnurses.com if you're looking for more answers.

amother

Post Sat, Jul 26 2014, 11:27 pm
I almost went back to school to become an RN, hoping eventually to become a CNM, but in the end decided to do a speech therapy program instead. I was recently talking with several women in my community who are in their 50s and have been RNs for decades. They all told me what a tough profession it is, and how if they could go back in time and choose a different profession, they would. One of them finished a NP program but can't find a job so she continues to work as an RN while paying off all those school loans. They all said how physically exhausting the job is, and how little respect they get.

snoopy613

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 2:18 am
can anyone rec a good NP program in the NYC area?
thanks

amother

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 4:43 am
The problem with nursing is that in a hospital you have to work on the weekends one in four weekends. Of course it might be more flexible in another setting but I know a girl who had this problem. In the end she worked on the sarurdays while she was a student.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Jul 27 2014, 3:07 pm
Nursing is a difficult profession, I come home exhausted. My family suffers.

I definitely feel taken advantage of, because I love my patients and do not want to leave them. I did a 16 hour shift the other day and almost collapsed! Sure we have a union, but there are not enough nurses, hospital is too cheap to hire more. The ones they do hire do not last and quit!

I am an OR nurse and I work Monday - friday and sometimes on call sundays. Fridays are the worst! Because I come home and just want to collapse. I worked from 430 am to 615 pm, then with traffic did not get home to 715! You deal with blood, BM's and nurses that you would not wish on your dog taking over for your patients. You deal with administrators that do not realize the cost and needs of nurses and patients. You deal with impatient doctors who will yell at you and not apologize when they are wrong! Sometimes you deal with equipment that should be sent to the trash heap, but they do not want to replace it because it still "works" in their minds! But how many times can biomed come and fix something?!?! We had a doctor loose it in the OR over equipment failure, and you have to remain calm!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics