Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
HELP! Gluten Free and Sugar Free guest for Shabbos!

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:15 pm
What to make?

I plan on making some things that she cannot eat, but I want to make sure that there is at least a protein, a couple of veggies, and a starch that she could eat. She says she cannot have sugar or sweeteners!

What else do I have to be aware of when making GF things? Are my spices okay?

I have a london broil which I plan to use for Friday night if I can make something edible out of it that she can have. I can make spicy green beans to go along with it, and some kind of potatoes too, as well as another veggie.

Any ideas for appetizers?

Shabbos day I will probably make a chicken salad with pain grilled chicken, a potato kugel. Any other ideas? I don't want to do cholent.

TIA!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:18 pm
don't use spice mixes, they often contain sugar/mystery starches.

ask your guest for preferences. you can work like a nut making gluten free/sugar free, but your guest may not like that food. just ask for some recipes/ideas.

suzyq

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:18 pm
I have a regular guest who has the same restrictions. Lots of veggies, and meat are great. You can do fish for appetizer (there is a brand of gefilte fish that is always gluten free, or you can do another type of fish). Lots of salads. Yes, your spices are gluten-free. I had this guest last week for lunch and this was my menu:

gefilte fish
roasted chicken
rice with mushrooms and onions
green salad with balsamic vinagrette dressing
mashed sweet potatoes
(one side dish she couldn't eat)
fruit for dessert

The more simple the food, the more likely it is that she can eat it - don't do kugels, do veggies. Don't do major sauces on meat, just roast it, etc.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:26 pm
What brand of gefilta fish is gluten free?

themom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:28 pm
Schindlers gefilte fish is gluten free. I make GF shnitzel all the time- there are lots of GF crumbs out there

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:42 pm
Okay, so I found out that she can have honey. I found a London Broil recipe where all of the ingredients sound okay except for soy sauce. What can I substitute for that?

I know that roast chicken would be the easiest, but I cannot stomach it right now. Cutlets are okay, but bottoms are awful!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:50 pm
is this guest on the scd?

coconutbutter

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:51 pm
Check out all the recipes on http://www.pennilessparenting.com/

mha3484

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 2:56 pm
You can buy gluten free soy sauce in any grocery store. It tastes the same so no worries about what to do with leftovers.

Some people use something called brags liquid aminos but I've never actually tried it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus