Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Remodeling - what are your best organizational tips
1  2  Next

debsey

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 6:05 pm
OK, so I'm remodeling a house and moving in. Given that we are changing so much of the structure (and putting in a new kitchen and laundry room, adding a mud-room etc) while we've got walls torn out, what are some structural things we can do to keep things organized?
Does anyone have any great tips of things they put in that really helped keep their home organized?
I already saw a mud-room I'm so impressed with - each kid has a bench next to their cubby so the boots can go directly underneath (and it's easy to sit down and pull off the boots without bumping into your brother) and the cubby has a hook for a coat, drawers beneath for scarves, gloves, etc, a shelf for a briefcase, and above, a big high shelf (so the big boys can put hats away directly when they come in) this way everyone's stuff is organized.
So that was a brilliant idea. Does anyone else have any suggestions? Things you put in your house that you now don't know how you lived without?
debsey

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 6:37 pm
I haven't remodeled, but I'd love to have some built-in bookshelves. we are very book happy, and things fall behind the shelves pretty often (thanks, kids). they're too heavy to move, and the vacuum hose only does so much.

we removed an oil tank and put in a closet. right now it's like a big box, no features. I intend to put a row of cubbies with doors down the middle. on one side of the cubbies, I want to put a few clothing rods. the other side will be shelves. this is a huge closet in the basement, so I intend to use some cubbies for guest linens, the others for out of season footwear/hats/scarves/gloves. the rods will be for out of season coats (which currently reside in my son's closet). the shelves will be for the toys/craft supplies we use in the basement.

I think you need to think about the purpose of each space before trying to organize it. a custom closet in your bedroom could be really nice. I've seen some really expensive kitchens with all kinds of interesting features. I was very interested to see a drawer with a clear window for storing pasta. I don't need a pasta drawer, but I guess they find it convenient.

sky

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 7:15 pm
Agree about the bookshelves.
Our home has custom built in bookcases and a desk in a small study (was there when we bought it). I love it because it utilizes every corner so well and blends in so nicely with the room. We can store sefarim and books from wall to wall and floor to ceiling.
I have no clue how much it costs to put in, but I always say if we moved I wouldn't buy bookcases but build wall to wall shelves in a room.
BIGclosets in playroom (or room that toys are kept in - in my case the living room) with lots of shelves and doors that close to hide the mess inside. My SIL has a walk in closet in her playroom so she can slide in riding toys and bigger toys. This way everything is truly out of sight.

balibusta

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 9:05 pm
I have seen neat laundry rooms with counter fir folding,pull out iron..also rod w celephane a ribbon on wall for organized way when wrap things up..

amother

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 9:13 pm
I'm obsessed with California closets. Each bedroom has one. I also recently did the built-in bookshelf in my study. It ran around $800 to do it along one wall.

saw50st8

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 9:57 pm
Make sure to design the house for how you actually live, not how you theoretically think you should live.

If you want detailed advice, post your floor plan.

MaBelleVie

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 10:15 pm
Closets
Closets
Closets

You can never have enough!

UQT

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 10:39 pm
My friend was building a house with a center, winding staircase opposite her front door. At the last minute she made a second back staircase near her kitchen. They use the back staircase all the time, the winding one is hardly ever used. She says it was the best last minute idea they had.

Also I heard people rave about their central vacuum cleaners. Never had one so I can't vouch for it, maybe others can chime in...

Last edited by UQT on Wed, Jul 23 2014, 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

UQT

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 10:40 pm
One more idea for you - I wish my deck had a built in spot for the grill. One of my neighbors have her deck jut out slightly and the grill fits in perfectly. I love how it's so out of the way...

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jul 23 2014, 11:13 pm
triple laundry chute!

sleepwalking

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 5:14 am
Thanks for this thread as I am also remodelling soon. I will follow this thread for more ideas. JOOC, Op how big is your house that you have place for a mudroom? (Not criticizing just interested)

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 5:33 am
I used to flip houses, before the market crashed, and I've gotten some really amazing returns with very carefully done minor changes.

If you house has more than one story, or a basement, then you need to put in a laundry chute, a garbage shute, and a "silent butler" to carry things up and down.

For bookshelves, if you can afford it go with custom, it will add immense value to your property. If not, use Ikea, but then have someone trim them out with nicely detailed moldings so that it looks more expensive. Ikea Hackers website has some amazing tutorials.

If you have staircases, build in storage underneath. Make sure you don't store any seforim there, because I read that you're not supposed to "walk over" holy words.

Put the majority of your money into the kitchen, bathrooms, and deck. These areas will give you the biggest return on your dollar when it comes to property value. Don't worry about expensive cabinets if you can get nice mid priced ones. Focus on the sinks and countertops, and create as much surface space as you can. Jetted bathtubs are not too expensive if you shop around.

For other rooms, focus on quality flooring and paint. The right paint and window treatments will make any room look expensive, often for very little money. NEVER get wallpaper, unless you plan on staying there for a long time and you love the pattern. It's guaranteed that the next owner will hate it.

For landscaping, don't plant anything that is high maintenance, unless you are an avid gardener. Anything that needs to be pruned back in the winter is a pain. Stay far, FAR away from anything that tends to be invasive or spreads rapidly. Keep creeping plants in pots with saucers so that the roots don't take off and establish themselves in your lawn. Mint is the kudzu of the north! shock

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 9:53 am
Lots of good ideas here. I'll be following too. I'm not remodeling, but rather building a new house from scratch (tearing down a small old house on a large lot and building a new bigger one). We're still in the plans stage, but I'll post something when I have it. We are definitely doing the built in bookshelves and desk in a study and a mudroom (which I had in my previous home too). Our house will be somewhat unusual as the lot is triangular! We are building a large ranch with a full basement. As our kids are all married, we will only have 2 bedrooms on the main floor with 4 more in the basement. I want to avoid stairs, so all laundry and utility areas will be on the main floor. I'll post more as I have it, but love to see everyone else's ideas too.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 10:59 am
Pesach kitchen!

We recently finished (finally!) redoing our basement after flooding from hurricane Sandy. We didn't have the money to actually put in a pesach kitchen at the time, but we had the contractor put in the plumbing and electric work we would eventually want. I'm not talking about a full size kitchen, just some counter space and a sink and a burner (an oven would be a bonus).

We also installed hanging bars in the laundry area for drip dry stuff.

If you do a lot of cooking/baking and freezing, it may be helpful to make space for an extra fridge/freezer near the kitchen rather than having to schlep stuff to the basement or garage.

I know someone who has a baking nook in her kitchen so she doesn't have to constantly take out and put away her mixer and all her pareve stuff is right at hand. I think she also keeps her cookbooks on a shelf there.

Another great kitchen convenience is a faucet right over the stove so you can fill up pots with water right on the spot.

Adequate pantry space.

5*Mom

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 12:06 pm
I have cubbies in my laundry room and they have added 10 years to my life. I don't fold or put away laundry; I just sort into the appropriate cubby/bin and each child puts away his/her own laundry. The bigger ones help the littlest one.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:38 pm
5*Mom wrote:
I have cubbies in my laundry room and they have added 10 years to my life. I don't fold or put away laundry; I just sort into the appropriate cubby/bin and each child puts away his/her own laundry. The bigger ones help the littlest one.

I'm OP - 5*Mom - that is BRILLIANT! I'm going to ask my builder if we can do it. I made a big laundry room for that reason - to keep in more organized (I like having four hampers and kids sort their laundry directly in hampers - one mixed colors (like underwear and PJs) one whites, one darks, and one stain-treatment.
Then for me, I have a hamper for towels, and socks go in sock locks. They're well trained to do that.
But having cubbies so they collect their OWN laundry - that's AMAZING! LOVE IT!
debsey
OK, yes I'm getting a bit OCD with this project.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:43 pm
sleepwalking wrote:
Thanks for this thread as I am also remodelling soon. I will follow this thread for more ideas. JOOC, Op how big is your house that you have place for a mudroom? (Not criticizing just interested)

I don't want to put square footage, but it's BIG. I have a business in my basement, and I need a lot of room for it - so rather than get a premises out of my house, we opted to buy a house with a lot of land and build to the limits of the property.
I'm of the firm belief that a working mother (particularly someone with a business who other people's livelihood depend on) HAS to have a workable house - I have 8 kids and I work more than full time - I can't waste a SECOND on doing things that the house can do FOR me.
For example, if the Mudroom is super-organized, I don't have to waste a second yelling at kids to put briefcases away. Now, we have to stack briefcases in a small closet, which is always getting disorganized and takes up a lot of my time......Goal is to make things as automatic as possible, so that when I'm not WORKING, I'm MOMMY-ing, not organizing.
I'm not sure if I'm explaining what I mean properly.

debsey

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:49 pm
UQT wrote:
My friend was building a house with a center, winding staircase opposite her front door. At the last minute she made a second back staircase near her kitchen. They use the back staircase all the time, the winding one is hardly ever used. She says it was the best last minute idea they had.

Also I heard people rave about their central vacuum cleaners. Never had one so I can't vouch for it, maybe others can chime in...

What IS a central vaccuum cleaner? My builder told me I have a week to decide if I want one. Is it really that great? How does it work? How expensive is it to fix when it breaks down?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:53 pm
Pullout shelves or drawers for pots/pans and in the pantry make it easier to see what you have.
A seperate closet if you stock up on things like canned foods or paper towels can be helpful so thd pantry isn't over full.
I used to live in a house that had room for a table ( to fold on) in the laundry room- loved it. And a sink in the laundry room for soaking clothes, or wet clothes so it doesn't make all the other clothes wet.
Enjoy the house- May you have many wonderful times there!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jul 24 2014, 1:59 pm
forgot to mention a broom closet. my house would look lovely if I had one. instead, my broom, dustpan, mop, bucket, etc are in various corners Sad
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics