Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Trying (and failing) to capture wild yeast for sourdough
Previous  1  2

Mishmish

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:46 pm
Sorry--just re-read why you are trying the juice ones. Please disregard what I said re not using juice/sugar. Not applicable

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 8:46 pm
rachel99 wrote:
As I understand it, most of the yeasts are on the grain already and it's the beneficial bacteria that gets captured from the air. Only reason I mentioned fresh flour. The type I use is gross if store-bought, so that's why I blender grind it.

Are you discarding a substantial portion every day? If not, I would try that. It needs a fresh supply of food to get vigorous.

Also, juice or sugar are not necessary. They might make it easier, but they are not needed. I only add sweet during the bulk fermentation stage and only because it helps the flavor balance.

To make it more sour, once you get the bubbling going, before you take some off to bake, try stirring it up so the "sour water" part makes it into your loaf. I do the opposite because my kids prefer it less strongly sour, so I scoop off the yeasty part at the top to use, then stir the remainder, add to it, etc.

It will get there. Don't give up.

One thing I recall from the Katz book is that he said sometimes adding a few unwashed organic berries (blueberries or blackberries I think) can help get things going--you remove the berries once it starts bubbling. Yeasts live on most produce--sometimes there is a whitish cast on blueberries--apparently that's what it is. I haven't tried that yet (don't love the idea of unwashed fruit).

I've actually heard it's the "white residue" on foods that they want. like grapes or berries, and some say a leaf of red cabbage. but I, too, do not want unwashed fruit in my starter.

SorGold

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:38 pm
Also, it can take up to 14 days before the proper yeast is "caught" if you are not using a culture. With a sourdough with gluten it is not even recommended to use before 10 days as the "beneficial yeast" may not have taken over the starter yet. I would also recommend feeding twice a day and yes the fermenting environment should be warm. The smell should start changing to a fruity smell to ultimately a yeasty smell.

vintagebknyc

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 9:47 pm
SorGold wrote:
Also, it can take up to 14 days before the proper yeast is "caught" if you are not using a culture. With a sourdough with gluten it is not even recommended to use before 10 days as the "beneficial yeast" may not have taken over the starter yet. I would also recommend feeding twice a day and yes the fermenting environment should be warm. The smell should start changing to a fruity smell to ultimately a yeasty smell.

I'm in nyc, I'm thinking it's warm enough. : LOL

I think I may not be feeding it enough, maybe that's the solution

elsily

Post Thu, Jun 26 2014, 10:35 pm
I just started making sourdough, so I don't have tons of experience but this is what has worked for me.

Mix a 1:1 weighted ratio of filtered water and whole wheat flour, for example 1/2 c. flour and 1/4 c. water. Cover with plastic wrap and store in a glass container in the oven with the light on or on the counter in a warm spot. Make sure that the sides of the container are clean (this is where it can grow moldy).

Once it has bubbled, usually at the 24 hour mark, discard half and feed it with a 1:1 weighted ratio. I usually discard so that I have about 1/4 c. starter, and I feed that with 1/4 c. flour and 1/2 c. water.

The starter should bubble and double size. Once it has, feed it again, usually after 12-24 hours. Once it is consistently bubbling and doubling in size after a feeding, then you have to feed it every 12 hours.

After 1-2 weeks, it's ready to bake with. Don't save any discarded starter before that point because it's not stable enough to use. Hope this helps!

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:01 am
day seven and the "from scratch" starter is dead in the water. the sourdough lady said that if it wasn't bubbling at this point one should add 1/4 teaspoon cider vinegar, which I have done.

clearly, I am not baking bread for shabbos... (bragged to DH when this began that I'd sub in sourdough one friday night, he is looking at me snarkily.)

also, the "seed" from friend, dying.

I will tell you that when it comes to making regular bread, with packaged yeast, I'm a pro.

SorGold

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:09 am
What is your ratio of flour to water? Ideally it should be equal according to weight. I feed 1 cup white flour to 2/3 cup water or 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup water. Also, I highly suggest starting with rye flour.

elsily

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:09 am
Sorry to hear that. I would try again with a different kind of flour and filtered water...

vintagebknyc

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 11:38 am
SorGold wrote:
What is your ratio of flour to water? Ideally it should be equal according to weight. I feed 1 cup white flour to 2/3 cup water or 1/2 cup to 1/3 cup water. Also, I highly suggest starting with rye flour.

ratio for this particular recipe is half and half. (I have tried the one from ed at breadtopia as well. that was last summer's failed project.)

I've been using whole wheat flour. I guess on try #4 I'll try another kind of flour.

SorGold

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:50 pm
I was feeding my starter and thinking about you. How did things turn out

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 9:58 pm
lol, great minds... you must have heard me dump it down the drain in the past 15 minutes. there was perhaps ONE day where it was foamy.

so, you asked. I failed.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:04 pm
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-.....dough

We actually made the proofing box in this book and used it to make the starter. We're in Brooklyn, let us know if you want some. Smile

SorGold

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:11 pm
What about the one with the starter culture?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:12 pm
Ashrei wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Sourdoughs-Revised-Bakers-Handbook/dp/1607740079/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404957771&sr=1-2&keywords=sour+dough

We actually made the proofing box in this book and used it to make the starter. We're in Brooklyn, let us know if you want some. Smile

and I was going to blame being in brooklyn!

but I will decline, again, even though I really want it. because I got some from another very well meaning friend (above, in other threads) and I killed it. I think I'm killing it by breathing near it.

SorGold

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:14 pm
Another question...do you have anything else fermenting in your kitchen? Kefir/yogurt/pickles/sauerkraut?

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Jul 09 2014, 10:21 pm
SorGold wrote:
Another question...do you have anything else fermenting in your kitchen? Kefir/yogurt/pickles/sauerkraut?

no, but I would love to be fermenting kefir!

something is not working on this end, and now that the fruitflies are hovering at the wait I don't think I'll be fermenting anything till september. sigh.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 12:10 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
and I was going to blame being in brooklyn!

Well I blame everything ELSE on being in Brooklyn...

Since its already fermented and ready to go, we just keep it in a jar in the fridge. It's lasted years. When we need it, we take it out, feed it to wake it up: the same amount in weight of flour and water. (About 1/2 cup flour, weigh that and see how much water.) It should be doubling in size within 3-6 hours, depending on how hot it is. If it's not, just pour some out and feed it more.then you should be able to use it in your recipe.

Mishmish

Post Thu, Jul 10 2014, 12:35 am
I was thinking about this thread today and wondering how things were going. Part of this was because I've been trying to get my starter going again and it's not working. I had a great one that lasted from after pesach until a few weeks ago when it suddenly got mold. Since then I've had a hard time getting one going again. I'm wondering if it has to do with the weather--heat, humidity, whatever. Maybe the good stuff in the air isn't so good at this time of year? Hope you are successful soon.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads