Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why does rice hate me?
Previous  1  2

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 10:13 am
Fire up one of these and you always have it handy to start any plate. Done right every time.

https://www.google.com/#q=rice+cooker

mha3484

Post Fri, Jun 27 2014, 1:11 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Lol! You want a failed crunchy rice recipe? It was horrible! DH only ate it after I rinsed all the crunchy rice off!

Lol. I've had better luck making chicken and rice I guess. The best is when I make it in the crockpot. I use short grain rice and if becomes so creamy.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 7:47 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
Thanks everyone!!

OK, so the rice cooked after an additional hour in the pan, making it two hours total and the last hour was without chicken.

I hardly ever use rice so this nearly always happens. Not enough experience.

I can't believe it can cook in a half hour with boiling water considering it took two hours, but I'll give it a shot next time.

I read about these one pan chicken rice dinners all the time but it never ever works out for me on the first try. (BTW the recipe I used said one hour would be enough.)
I didn't realize you were trying to cook the rice under chicken. That makes such a difference in the cooking time! (pan size makes a difference too, which is why I listed the pan size in my 30 min recipe.)
When I make bone in chicken bottoms and rice in one pan I bake it covered at 350 for 2.5 hours!
I you stick potatoes under chicken, both the potatoes and the chicken will take so much longer to cook. (if you use a sterno sized pan, double a 9x13, and spread the potatoes out along with the chicken in one even layer instead of placing the potatoes underneath the chicken is will cook that much faster.)

gp2.0

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 8:10 pm
No it wasn't bone-in chicken. I've already tried that with similarly disastrous results. This was: boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed, mixed together with the veggies and rice and some spices and teriyaki sauce, covered in water. After one hour, chicken was cooked through, peas were done, broccoli was done but not mushy, pan was still full of water, rice was crunchy. After a second hour all the water was absorbed by rice, peas were wrinkled, broccoli was mush, rice was done.

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 8:16 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
No it wasn't bone-in chicken. I've already tried that with similarly disastrous results. This was: boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed, mixed together with the veggies and rice and some spices and teriyaki sauce, covered in water. After one hour, chicken was cooked through, peas were done, broccoli was done but not mushy, pan was still full of water, rice was crunchy. After a second hour all the water was absorbed by rice, peas were wrinkled, broccoli was mush, rice was done.

All of these things take different amounts of time to cook so this all makes sense. 1 pot meals are melt in your mouth mush kind of comfort food.
It's very probable that if you had used a wider pan and spread everything out more it would have cooked more quickly.

Last edited by ra_mom on Sat, Jun 28 2014, 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

lkwdlady

Post Sat, Jun 28 2014, 8:22 pm
when I make a chicken and rice dinner I bake the chicken in 1 pan and the rice in another.

I usually bake chicken for around 1hr and 40 min.

I put the chicken in the oven first and set the timer for 1 hr.

Then I put in the pan of rice for the last 40 min and it is always cooked in 40 min.

Honestly, I cheat with rice. I buy boxes of Near East rice (original) and pour it in to an 8x8 pan with 2 cups of water and a drop of oil. Near East rice comes with a spice packet. If I need plain rice I do the same thing but leave out the spice packet. (for 2 boxes of rice I use a 9x13 pan)
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics