Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Step by step cake icing instructions, please!

eisheschayil

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 6:43 am
Hi,

I would like to attempt to ice my son's birthday cake using homemade fondant but there are a lot of recipes out there and I'm not sure which ones are fool proof.
If any of you are experienced bakers, I would like some step by step instructions that include:

a pareve recipe for fondant, using readily available Israeli products

Instructions ohow to neatly crumb a cake and then apply said fondant neatly and cleanly.

Thank you

Happy18

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 6:52 am
Did you try a google search for instructions? There are some great ones with pictures that will be very helpful. Don't know what products are easily available to you sorry.

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 7:10 am
margerine or butter + icing sugar makes a great buttercream.

I'm not very good at this but if you make a buttercream you can spread it over a cake kind of neatly. Some people say freeze the cake first. You can also use ready made fondant but some find it harder to work with.

See if you can buy ready made marzipan or fondant which you can shape into things eg cars, aeroplanes, alef beis blocks to decorate the cake with.

Put some fondant in an icing bag to write whatever you want.

Another way is to make a lot of cupcakes and decorate and arrange to make a picture. I find it very easy to use fondant to decorate professional looking cupcakes.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 8:12 am
I made a parve buttercream twice and both times it separated and got grainy after a few hours. Would love to find a way to avoid that happening....

oliveoil

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 11:04 am
studying_torah wrote:
I made a parve buttercream twice and both times it separated and got grainy after a few hours. Would love to find a way to avoid that happening....

That's usually a result of overwhipping the mixture.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Jun 22 2014, 11:32 am
Never knew that... Thanks! I thought maybe it was bec the margarine or crisco was separating from the water...

sunny90

Post Mon, Jun 23 2014, 7:33 am
They sell fondant here, it's called batzek sucar. If you want to make your own look up marshmallow fondant, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have any hard to find ingredients.
I don't have time to give a step by step instruction but I'm sure you can find youtube videos how to cover a cake. Just remember when you're using the fondant to cover it, the cake underneath has to be absolutely smooth because the fondant emphasizes every bump. Buttercream is more forgiving, I have an easy recipe for you if you want it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics