Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Can I make matzo balls with shmura cake meal?

Odelyah

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 2:12 am
My husband bought some shmura cake meal for Pesach by mistake, instead of shmura matzo meal. I had enough regular shmura matzo meal for yom tov because a friend unexpectedly gave us some, but now I still have this shmura cake meal, so I was wondering-- does anyone know if I can use it to make kneidlach? I sometimes make kneidlach for shabbos during the year but I'm definitely not going to make a cake with it. And I'd hate to waste it.

etky

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 2:38 am
Matzo balls made with cake meal have a different consistency. I've found that they are much denser than those made with regular matzo meal. Maybe look for ways to make them fluffier, like beating the eggs whites, using baking powder or - as Jamie Geller recommends- using soda water as the liquid. I've made her recipe with regular matzo meal with great success.

Odelyah

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 3:30 am
etky wrote:
Matzo balls made with cake meal have a different consistency. I've found that they are much denser than those made with regular matzo meal. Maybe look for ways to make them fluffier, like beating the eggs whites, using baking powder or - as Jamie Geller recommends- using soda water as the liquid. I've made her recipe with regular matzo meal with great success.

Thanks for your response! So my family actually prefers our matzo balls on the denser side, with a little bite. But not rock-like either (or as my mother calls them: "cannon balls"). But you said they come out much denser... hmm

etky

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 3:43 am
Odelyah wrote:
Thanks for your response! So my family actually prefers our matzo balls on the denser side, with a little bite. But not rock-like either (or as my mother calls them: "cannon balls"). But you said they come out much denser... hmm

We actually also like them on the denser side. Jamie Geller's recipe was objectively the perfect balance bt. fluffy and dense but could go even denser. However, the one time I used cake meal, and also when we had them at friends who used cake meal just this past Pessach, they were VERY dense. Also, I use regular matzo meal. With shmura it might be even more problematic.
You can also use the cake meal in lieu of bread crumbs or even flour in certain recipes (like kugels or meatballs) as a binder - just make sure to use a smaller amount.

mommy27

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 8:20 am
I've made them with the shmura cake meal and they're fine (not rock hard).

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 11:30 am
I don't know about cake meal but when I use shmura matza meal I leave out a Tbsp. or so.

anotherima

Post Tue, May 06 2014, 6:28 am
If the box is unopened, double bag the box and stick it in the freezer for next year.

Odelyah

Post Wed, May 07 2014, 12:10 pm
Thank you everyone for your responses! I don't really want to save it for next year because I don't use cake meal (that's why it was a mistake and I have it left over). But I think maybe (with mommy27's encouragement Smile) I'll try a small batch of kneidlach and see if it turns out OK. If it does, I'll use it up that way and if not maybe I'll use it for other things, as etky suggested. Thanks again!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus