Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
What's with the Kate Middleton obsession???
Previous  1  2  3

nechami1

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 6:37 pm
Kate is quite a down to earth person, even though she is now royalty, she still shopped at the local supermarket near her home, etc etc, with her security guards standing an aisle behind her...
I think her clothes are classy but also quite 'safe.'
People here in Britain like her because she is so natural with people and doesnt hold 'airs and graces' and of course she is beautiful looking...
And she is a commoner- she married into royalty....

Growing

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 8:03 pm
I am totally obsessed with Kate
To me its because she is living the fairy tale life
she seems so in love with William
She has all the money in the world

My life is .... rather different.... Smile
I just like to 'escape' to read about her...at least its not a novel

but I agree its totally overdone - that is why no one besides my husband knows about this little obsession of mine....

queen

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 8:39 pm
I'm SO not the type to be obsessed yet I do follow Kate quite closely. Ever since her wedding.
IMO, as earlier posters have already commented: Her life is a fairytale. Commoner who becomes royalty. And does it so gracefully. AND has the looks to go with it.

Barbara

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 8:40 pm
queen wrote:
I'm SO not the type to be obsessed yet I do follow Kate quite closely. Ever since her wedding.
IMO, as earlier posters have already commented: Her life is a fairytale. Commoner who becomes royalty. And does it so gracefully. AND has the looks to go with it.

Well, I would EXPECT the Queen to be interested in her!!!

gold21

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 8:41 pm
I don't think her life is a fairy tale... I dunno, just seems boring. Gotta basically look pretty and go to functions.

queen

Post Tue, Jun 25 2013, 8:53 pm
LOL Barbara Smile

mama-star

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 12:39 am
I love royals in general and I'm a big fan of princess mary of denmark.

kate is giving the mountbatten/windsor family a real boost. she's young and beautiful and classy etc etc...the public adores her...

I think she's adorable, quite frankly. I love her.

anyway just my .02

Raisin

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 5:23 am
funny, shes a princess yet wants to do her own shopping and cooking and so on.

gold21

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:39 am
Raisin wrote:
funny, shes a princess yet wants to do her own shopping and cooking and so on.

Who wouldn't? She's not a dumb china doll, she's a person with a brain. Not directing my comment at you personally Raisin, just saying like she must get bored, no?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 10:56 am
So, I am born Canadian but would have a hard time swearing allegiance to the British Crown in Citizenship court if I had to. I think our relationship with the crown is silly and totally outdated.

I am not a Royal or Celebrity Watcher, no matter how bored I am.

That said, I have a daughter who people describe as 'regal.' She is dignified and beautiful (her insides shine through to her outsides) and she is just one of those people who has it all going on. She is an athlete, an amazing student, and the person that everyone likes, and who is kind to everyone. On her recent school trip, she was paired up with the girl no one liked as a roomie because she is always nice to her and accepts her as she is.

She also rocks tzniut. She is incredibly stylish and elegant and I have been told by numerous people that she inspires tzniut in their own kids because they see that tznius does not have to be frumpy and can be super cool.

Kate Middleton is someone who she can identify with. She is beautiful and dresses elegantly and almost as tzniusly as my daughter. While I do not follow the news about her, no one has ever said a nasty thing about her behaviour, because she really seems to be that dignified, kind and beautiful. I also respect her as an army wife, as I do regular wives of soldiers, police and firemen, because I think it takes a special person to be that wife, especially becuase william is not working because he needs the money. he is probably pretty special too.

I feel good showing my daughter the things she wears, because it is never embarrassing or skanky looking. She personifies the word regal in a young and stylish way. I can so think of worse things than having my daughter turn out like kate middleton in comportment and style.

Fox

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 11:42 am
ITA with everything chanamiriam says!

I actually think the royal family is a huge bargain for Britons. Let's face it: how many of us would know as much as we do about British history or culture were it not for having been exposed to the doings of the royal family? How many of us would know the names of major British fashion chains or designers were it not for royal patronage? In fact, I had a history professor in college who started her courses by describing how she became interested in history as a child, following the coronation of the Queen.

From what I understand, that's true not only of us Yanks, but Brits themselves. Simon Doonan wrote a wonderful description in his memoir, Beautiful People, about how everyone loved history class: it was like an academically-sanctioned gossip fest!

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but when my twins wanted to spend some of their babysitting earnings on ridiculously overpriced Hunter boots ("Wellies"), I gave in partially because the royal warrants from Buckingham Palace and the Prince of Wales provided a bit of assurance that the boots weren't complete junk. And sure enough, they've held up for five years of Chicago weather and are still going strong!

Kate as well as the other "working royals" also command my respect because they have the most incredibly boring jobs in the world. Most of their work lives consist of listening to speeches; making short, complimentary speeches; admiring livestock; and doing whatever they can to encourage interest in British products. I recently saw a photo of the Duchess of Cornwall, who was pictured awarding a blue ribbon to a Shetland pony. Now, it was no doubt an exemplary pony, but you would have to be a very special, very patriotic person to devote your life to that kind of activity. I'm sure Kate could have had a more interesting career stuffing party goods into boxes in her parents' company!

According to an article in one of the philanthropy journals that I get, Prince Charles personally raises the equivalent of about $60 million per year for charity (through the Prince's Trust as well as other organizations). As the article quoted one source, "Find me an executive director who does that!" Although British taxpayers do foot some of the expenses of the royal family, it's less than most people believe. For example, most of Prince Charles's income is derived from his business manufacturing and selling organic products made from produce grown on his estate, and he pays for Kate's clothes, etc.

Some of the expenses, such as the upkeep of historical castles and residences, would end up coming out of public coffers, anyway. Having the royal family taking care of it all probably actually saves money.

Obviously, being a member of the royal family is not a meritocracy. Prince Charles is not raising money based on his scintillating wit, and the land on which he grows organic fruit was given to him. So I can certainly understand why people would have, at best, mixed feelings about the whole business.

Another element that Americans have difficulty relating to is the expectation that in times of emergency, the monarch and his/her family will demonstrate genuine leadership, even if only as figureheads. While Winston Churchill managed the actual defense of Britain, the Queen Mother helped the public maintain stiff upper lips by announcing, “The children will not leave unless I do. I shall not leave unless their father does, and the King will not leave the country in any circumstances whatever.” Yes, most of the time they work as celebrities. But when the going gets rough, Brits expect their royals to rise to the occasion.

As usual, I've gone on way too long. The short version: I like Kate for all the reasons chanamiriam enumerated, plus I'm impressed she's willing to spend her life admiring Shetland ponies and the like.

Growing

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 12:41 pm
I just thought of it this way - אשרינו מה טוב חלקינו I am proud and deeply grateful that I was born to ממלכת כהנים וגוי קדוש - the chosen people as we are known
however
should I have had to be born non jewish....and I could pick an identity - I'd definitely consider Kate as an option - given the conveniences & comforts she knows of.... Very Happy
can you tell I'm obsessed?

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Jun 26 2013, 1:20 pm
This article explains perfectly how I feel as a Canadian royal subject.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com.....obile

imasoftov

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 6:06 am
"This is why Kate Middleton is no role model for my daughter"
http://www.mamamia.com.au/soci.....odel/

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 10:30 am
I love most of her outfits, but I don't see Will&Kate as any kind of role models. There's a reason they call her 'waitey Katey'... she was dating William f-o-r-e-v-e-r (and AFAIK, they were living together) ...and I just don't think it's a good example of a fairytale relationship.... follow the guy to university, catch his eye, move in with him and wait around for him to propose maybe possibly sometime soon.... it's not something I would advise my daughter to do. (religious reasons aside... I think waiting on a guy for so long is just not good)

forever21

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 5:19 pm
Dating a guy forever and living with him before marriage is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in the non jewish world.
And I totally disagree with the author of that article. She wanted something and she went after it. Nothing wrong with that. She gave up scandal in her 20s so that she could eventually marry him? oh no, what a terrible thing to do!

ewa-jo

Post Tue, Apr 22 2014, 3:24 am
I guess, but her life reads a bit like a ChickLit book... getting the guy was the only life-goal she had. It all seems so pedestrian to me, considering that girls in her social circles have more interesting options.

And yeah, it's only a romantic fairytale because it worked out. If she had waited 10 years and he got bored and moved on.... that would have been quite another story.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics