Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Your best recipe with ladyfingers

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 12:33 pm
I just realized I'm the proud owner of a lot of ladyfingers that got left behind. They're too sweet to make coating crumbs with, and not having planned to buy them I've ignored all the ladyfinger recipes I've come across.
Anyone have any great, tried and true suggestions? Thanks!

mandr

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 1:37 pm
I make cheesecake with a ladyfinger crust. It uses a great deal of ladyfingers Smile If you want the recipe, let me know. I think it calls for 2 cups of crushed ladyfingers (I use a processor). You mix that with some butter and press it into a 9x13 pan. Then the cheese mixture: cream cheese, eggs, vanilla sugar, lemon juice. I have exact measurements, though, if you're interested.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 2:22 pm
mandr wrote:
I make cheesecake with a ladyfinger crust. It uses a great deal of ladyfingers Smile If you want the recipe, let me know. I think it calls for 2 cups of crushed ladyfingers (I use a processor). You mix that with some butter and press it into a 9x13 pan. Then the cheese mixture: cream cheese, eggs, vanilla sugar, lemon juice. I have exact measurements, though, if you're interested.

Yum. Maybe, but not for Pesach. Seriously, I might make it for Shavuos. The thought opens new vistas.

mashcsch

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 6:34 pm
Someone posted a recipe on fb from overtime cook I think (Miriam Pascal?) for an apple crumble and the crumb topping uses lady fingers. My family and neighbors really liked it!

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:00 pm
why don't you make a trifle?

rb10d

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 12:36 am
I don't have it with me but suzy fishbein's pesach cookbook has a delicious crumb cake that uses them

imasinger

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 3:57 am
rb10d wrote:
I don't have it with me but suzy fishbein's pesach cookbook has a delicious crumb cake that uses them

Here it is:
Nonstick cooking spray
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 T vanilla sugar
1 c oil
4 large eggs
1 c potato starch

Topping:
2 tsp cinnamon
4 T (1/2 stick) margarine (or butter), cut into bits
1/2 box (8 oz) of lady fingers, crumbled
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Oil 9x13 pan. Mix sugars, baking powder, vanilla sugar, oil, eggs, potato starch until smooth. Pour in pan and bake 20 min.

In medium bowl, toss topping ingredients and pinch into coarse crumbs. Spread over cake. Bake for 35 more minutes.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 5:55 am
mummiedearest, do you have more specific directions? I'm not the best trifle maker.
And imasinger, thanks!

mommyhood

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 12:06 pm
imasinger wrote:
Here it is:
Nonstick cooking spray
1 c sugar
1 c brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 T vanilla sugar
1 c oil
4 large eggs
1 c potato starch

Topping:
2 tsp cinnamon
4 T (1/2 stick) margarine (or butter), cut into bits
1/2 box (8 oz) of lady fingers, crumbled
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Oil 9x13 pan. Mix sugars, baking powder, vanilla sugar, oil, eggs, potato starch until smooth. Pour in pan and bake 20 min.

In medium bowl, toss topping ingredients and pinch into coarse crumbs. Spread over cake. Bake for 35 more minutes.

This is yum I just took a 2nd one out of the oven.

mummiedearest

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 12:44 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
mummiedearest, do you have more specific directions? I'm not the best trifle maker.
And imasinger, thanks!

well, that depends on what you use on pesach. I would take a pesach pudding mix (wonderful junk) and make some pudding. layer lady fingers, pudding, fresh fruit (I like berries, but melon might be good too) and repeat until you use up as many lady fingers as you intend to. let the trifle sit in the fridge a while so the lady fingers get moist.

you can also mix sour cream with vanilla extract and some sugar and layer lady fingers, sour cream mix, and sliced almonds. you can top it with melted chocolate or chocolate syrup if you want.

agreer

Post Fri, Apr 18 2014, 6:09 pm
Overtime cooks apple kugel is amazing. You can double the recipe and make a 9x13 and use up 2 boxes of baby fingers

mamitaly

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 1:32 pm
Tiramisù (a super dessert from Italy - sorry I can't give you the exact doses):

ingredients:

unsweetened black coffee (preferably espresso)
ladyfingers
thick cream, sweetened to taste
bitter cocoa powder

lightly soak half the ladyfingers in coffee one by one, then place them in one layer in a 12x 18 inch container.
Evenly distribute half the cream over the ladyfingers.
Repeat with a second layer of ladyfingers and top with the rest of the cream.
Sprinkle with the cocoa powder and refrigerate 3 hours.

Buon appetito!

Raisin

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 2:53 pm
use as a base for lemon meringue pie.

geshmak

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 8:18 pm
agreer wrote:
Overtime cooks apple kugel is amazing. You can double the recipe and make a 9x13 and use up 2 boxes of baby fingers

Can you please post that recipe? TIA.

Aetrsnrady

Post Sat, Apr 19 2014, 8:22 pm
http://overtimecook.com/2012/0.....ugel/

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 7:41 am
Re the KBD recipe: it's actually 4 oz., about 20 lady fingers. IOW, half an 8 oz. box.

saralea

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 11:51 am
Aetrsnrady wrote:
http://overtimecook.com/2012/04/05/passover-apple-crumb-kugel/

Has anyone tried this without nuts (allergy) and without matza meal( she recommended it as a sub in her comments, but we don't eat gebruchts.)?
It sounds delicious. TIA

Goldengrl327

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:12 pm
We had 2 boxes left over from last year that I intended to use for a cheesecake. My husband ended up spreading chocolate spread and jelly on them and made our own sandwich cookies. They chilled covered in the fridge overnight and tastedbjust as good as the boxed kind.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:27 pm
The KBD cake is great! The crumb topping is delicious but very crumby, no cohesion. Then again, I didn't use margarine. I used half oil and half frozen oil as per Susie Fishbein's suggestion in her Pesach biscotti recipe.

geshmak

Post Sun, Apr 20 2014, 1:57 pm
Aetrsnrady wrote:
http://overtimecook.com/2012/04/05/passover-apple-crumb-kugel/

Thank you for posting this link.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics