Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
English-sounding nickname for Rivka
Previous  1  2

b from nj

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 10:59 pm
I think Rikki is cute but Becca or Becky are also good English nicknames that should work & for those that say Rikki/Ricki is a boys' name is not. I assume you've never heard of the talk show host Ricki Lake nor have you met many frum girls with that nickname as I have.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 12:20 am
amother wrote:
We call our daughter Rivi with a soft I. Rhymes with ricki.

How does that rhyme with ricki. Ticki, slicky, sicky, niki, licky, hicky, tricky, kiki, micky, icky, flicky, picky, sticky, vicky, zwiky all rhyme. Rivi does not.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 12:19 pm
b from nj wrote:
I think Rikki is cute but Becca or Becky are also good English nicknames that should work & for those that say Rikki/Ricki is a boys' name is not. I assume you've never heard of the talk show host Ricki Lake nor have you met many frum girls with that nickname as I have.

right ricki lake - but also don't forget ricky ricardo ... so it's gender neutral ...

I know around 100 rivka's that are ricky instead of the normative nickname of rivky

amother

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 2:27 pm
amother wrote:
How does that rhyme with ricki. Ticki, slicky, sicky, niki, licky, hicky, tricky, kiki, micky, icky, flicky, picky, sticky, vicky, zwiky all rhyme. Rivi does not.

Sorry, your right. I was a bit sleep deprived. I meant it sounds like ricki with a v in place of the k.

spinkles

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 12:49 am
In mainstream American society Ricky is used much more for boys than girls. I would go with Becky.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 7:35 am
amother wrote:
I really roll from these businesses that won't let you use your real name, when every other customer service person is Tenecia or Lakisha or something else where you have to beg them to spell it...It seems only Jews are required to blend in to the culture, no?

No. No one is "required". Some groups of Jews, and non Jews, try to.
Others just don't want to deal with a "foreign" name, again Jews and non Jews. There are even foreigners who change or make their name less foreign when arriving in a country.
There's something to it as some Jewish groups have done it for centuries and more (millenia more like). Of course the Yiddish and Ladino and J-Arabic... names show there WAS adaptation, too.

Tenecia and Laquisha will struggle more than Ann or Catherine to find a (good) job and even an apartment, that's what studies show. I don't know if it goes also for Jewish names. And I don't really take it into consideration personally. BUT it's something to bear in mind.

ewa-jo

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 10:18 am
What about Reba?

(as in, the country music superstar)

It's a nickname for Rebecca.

pumpernickle

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:41 pm
Ricky is a boys name, short for Rick but Rikki is the girls version. My daughter is named rivka and we call her Rikki.

greenfire

Post Thu, Apr 17 2014, 9:52 pm
greenfire wrote:

ooh how about Reba ...

ewa-jo wrote:
What about Reba?

(as in, the country music superstar)

It's a nickname for Rebecca.

Reba Nell McEntire

yup - that the one I had in mind Wink

proudema

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 9:54 am
You can also do Rikka. Like from the children's books with the triplets Flicka, Rikka and Dikka.

3mitzvos

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 9:59 am
If you can't use Rebecca, I think either Rikki (as in Rivkah) or Vicky (as in Victoria)...

Scrabble123

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 10:35 am
Some names here are not English sounding at all. Reva? Rivi? Rikka? They are just as bizarre sounding to an English speaker as Rivka. Rebecca, Becky, Rebee, Reba, Becca, etc. are English sounding.

The OP said that she cannot use another name and it must be similar to Rivka.. where would Vicky come into the picture? That would make people assume it's Victoria....

Rikki is a nickname for Rivka and is completely accepted as a female name in English. It gets my vote.

Iymnok

Post Mon, May 05 2014, 10:42 am
Do what everyone else does, pick a random generic name.

Ever call customer service and get an Indian accent with a name like Steve or Tom?

This is not uncommon, they want names that are easy to pronounce and remember.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names