Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
We slept on the living room floor
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother

Post Wed, Apr 09 2014, 8:26 pm
You know, I never actually complained about this, but I think it is time.

We had to be somewhere for Shabbos, and there were no hotels near the shul there. So my husband called the Rabbi of the shul and asked if he knows of any accommodations for a couple and three kids. He said it would be no problem, there was a family with a house nearby that would be thrilled to host us. We came 20 minutes before Shabbos, and they brought us to a guest room with ONE BED! One king size bed. For a family of five. So my husband asked, are we all sleeping in this room? And the host said, yes, but if you want we can bring you a sleeping bag for the kids.

My husband and I could not share a bed that particular week, so he said yes to the sleeping bag, and he slept on the floor and I slept on the bed with all three kids.

Normally, I agree that you should always be grateful that people put you up, and never complain about your accommodations if you are not being charged, but I really wish they would have told us in advance, we would have made other accommodations or just not gone at all.

(Oh, and I brought a really nice hostess gift, an expensive painted glass washing cup, and the lady took it and said, "oh!" and never anything else about it. And we were eating elsewhere, but she didn't offer any coffee in the morning or anything for the kids for breakfast shabbos morning. I know you don't HAVE to do these things, but if she really didn't want to host, why didn't she just say so? It was five years ago, and I am still weird-ed out by it.)

granolamom

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 5:56 pm
Cookie Monster wrote:
Just my two cents. People who are so afraid to "mess up" their kids' routine for a couple of days, to the point of making adults sleep on the floor, are "messing" their kids up in a much more permanent way.

Not all kids are created equal. But if the kids really need their schedules, they shouldn't offer to host beyond their ability to provide beds. Or at least let the balei simcha know in advance that they're planning to set up sleeping bags on the floor.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 6:08 pm
I often get asked to host total strangers. I am going to make sure to emphasize the substandard accommodation to any potential guests (no ensuite, un matching bed linen, no air conditioning etc)

Maybe they suddenly won't want to come after all.

Dolly Welsh

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 7:12 pm
I wouldn't mind.

Maybe I just don't understand.

I think the kids saw their parents prize love over normalcy.

That seems sweet to me. But I haven't lived this.

I myself would not like to displace a child. Or really anybody. The gift of a roof is a very big gift, huge, really. A big mitzvah.

Mi k'amcha Yisroel.

b from nj

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 7:39 pm
I don't have the patience to read through all 5 pages but that is NUTS!!!!!

If someone can't provide beds for adults (preferably 2 beds for 2 adults) they shouldn't bother offering to host b/c forcing guests to sleep on the floor is NOT called hosting & it is BEYOND rude & tacky. TG that never happened to me b/c if it would have, the baalei simcha would have never heard of the end of it from me. That is simply UNacceptable & the ba'alei simcha need to be aware of what kinds of friends/neighbors they have!!!

OP sorry that you had to deal with that kind of hospitality. Sounds like Sodom-style hospitality to me.

Last edited by b from nj on Sun, Apr 13 2014, 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 8:07 pm
Oh, now that you're mentioning. Yes, family put us up w their neighbors, who offered us ONE double bed. I don't recall if DH slept w the kids in another room, because even if muttar he would have felt it totally inappropriate that a/o (the kids?) would know we slept in one bed (although they know we keep our beds adjoining anyhow....).

amother

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 8:08 pm
8:07 above. I seem to recall that the people whose house we slept in may not have been frum, so clueless. Our host must not have thought to ask...

Yocheved84

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 8:17 pm
StripedFlower wrote:
This is one of the craziest, weirdest, rudest, most disgusting thing I've ever read on this site.

If that's the craziest, weirdest, rudest, most disgusting thing you've ever read on this site, then you need to visit more often.

Smile
Wink

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 2:20 pm
I can't believe some people expect an ensuite (seriously?? if I built one you can bet it would be in MY room!) or care about matching linen...

b from nj

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 2:26 pm
All ppl. generally expect is at least 2 beds for adults & preferably beds for kids as well unless ppl. know in advance that their kids won't be getting beds & then they can decide whether or not they still want to come to the simcha.

StripedFlower

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 6:38 am
DrMom wrote:
You stated that your children are entitled not to have to share a room with the host's children. I disagree.

So disagree.

StripedFlower

Post Wed, Apr 16 2014, 6:44 am
Yocheved84 wrote:
If that's the craziest, weirdest, rudest, most disgusting thing you've ever read on this site, then you need to visit more often.

Smile
Wink

Slight exaggeration, but it really bothered me.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics