Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Disposable plates for Pesach Seder and Pesach Yom Tov

Do you use disposable plates for the seder and yom tov meals?
Regular Plastic  
 16%  [ 13 ]
Fancy thick Plastic  
 41%  [ 33 ]
Regular Dishes  
 36%  [ 29 ]
Other  
 5%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 79

maze

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 12:29 am
Do you use plastic disposable plates and cutlery for the seder and other Pesach yom tov meals? What kind of disposables do you use, the regular plastic, the fancy plastic ones, or a different type? I wasn't planning to, but it might make it easier.

Last edited by maze on Sun, Apr 13 2014, 12:53 am; edited 1 time in total

ElTam

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 12:45 am
We use disposable plates and cups but metal cutlery. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive. We used to have full sets of meat and dairy for pesach but when we moved the last time DH said it was ridiculous to have eight boxes of dishes for an eight day yom tov, so we downsized. I'm glad we did. It makes everything so much easier.

Only for Pesach though. Other Yom Tovim, we use our regular dishes.

amother

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 2:31 am
I said yes to good plastic, but actually, depending on how tired the DD's are, sometimes they'll insist on china. But real cutlery (which my dear married children bought me a new matching set for about 20, so no more trying to give everyone a matching set out of the three sets of different patterns!)

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 3:08 am
So in the past MIL has bought the good fancy plastic, and then wound up feeling bad about throwing it out so washing it anyway! We bought dishes a few years ago and I haven't looked back. I fill the sink with hot soapy water and if I'm too tired just dump them in and wash in the morning. We use plastic once a year, and it's this time when I am changed over for Pesach but there are still chomatz things around and kitniot things. So kitniot cereal & milk in plastic thrown away before chag - yes. Using plastic on chag? not if I can help it! (might use some for 7th day because I have a mishpachton and go back to work the next day... we'll see).

chani8

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 5:43 am
We use real dishes for seder.

For many other meals we'll use pretty PAPER plates. Never plastic for hot food.

We use real serving trays and real utensils.

This year we kashered our dishwasher for pesach, so likely we'll use real dishes more often. Yay.

Mrs.K

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 6:03 am
I would love to serve on beautiful dishes for seder like my parents did but I don't have service for 20 and if I did, I'd have to think twice about washing all those dishes.

I buy the fancy hard plastic dishes. This year it came out to a fortune and I found myself on line in the store wondering if, after a couple of years of this, I COULD buy service for 20 dishes! Confused

Isramom8

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 7:07 am
Seder night is when I use the fanciest plastic that I ever use. Usually with real silverware and real glasses plus plastic cups - we need both.

And I serve on real china - that already fills up the sink.

e1234

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 7:36 am
I always use paper as we hold that it's my oneg shabbos not to have all the dishes but for seder I bought nice plastic (plastic as if I bought china it's guaranteed to break by someone and I don't want that stress)

sunflower_seed

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 9:33 am
we were told paper plates are problematic for pessach
using plastic this year

Lady Godiva

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 10:16 am
We use real dishes for every meal. If we have a lot of guests and don't have enough dishes, we use plastic for the children.

greenfire

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 11:14 am
I believe in a world with less garbage ... real dishes [unless you don't have any]

plus for the seder real dishes are always nicer for us

we invested in coffee mugs a couple of years ago from walmart ... each of us have our own colour & they weren't more than $1.99 - taste much better than styrofoam or a 5 oz cup

amother

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 11:36 am
We use the nice plastic plates that have a hechsher on them. They sell them in most kosher supermarkets.

dee's mommy

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 10:49 pm
When I was single, I invested in purchasing a really beautiful set of dishes which became my Pesach set for meat. I think only one or two cups broke, but I am very happy to have this set.

b from nj

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 11:07 pm
I LOVE using my fancy Costco fake china disposable dishes & I have NO desire whatsoever to buy real china which will take forever to wash. NO thank you. I want to enjoy my yom tov as much as possible especially since we don't kasher our dishwasher for Pesach.

There is enough to wash between the real goblets, serving dishes, cutlery etc..

Have a chag kasher v'sameach everyone!!

sky

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 11:28 pm
I buy middle of the the line nice. Clear plastic that is nicer then the white plastic. I was going to buy the nicest but then I saw it was $1.00 per plate I changed my mind.
I like not having dishes to wash after the seder.
I do use real cutlery.

abaker

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 8:51 am
I voted "other" we use real dishes and cutlery for the sedarim, but use regular (decent quality) plates and costco plastic cutlery for some meals/in between snacks because I dont want to spend my YT washing dishes.

mommyhood

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 8:55 am
My family uses real dishes and hires a cleaning lasy to come in the morning to wash the dishes. Nice plastic/paper can really add up and it can actually comes out cheaper to hire the cleaning lady if you can find one.

seeker

Post Mon, Apr 14 2014, 10:56 am
I put "other" for fancy paper. But I would have bought fancy plastic if I would have known a whole family of guests would end up not coming, the reason I chose paper was expense but since they come a set number per pack, I could have spent the same amount for one package each of the fancy plastic and had plenty for my family.

Our small bowls will unfortunately be plain plastic because I simply couldn't find any fancy ones in the store I went to. Weird. Sad, too, because I really like everything to look yomtov-dik even though I didn't buy real dishes yet.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics