Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Boro Park Kids Shoe Shops Comparison

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 7:57 pm
Hi. Need to get my little ones shoes...How do the following shoe stores compare to one another?

Di Rubio
Schwartz
Teschers

Last edited by amother on Sun, Feb 25 2024, 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total

mfb

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:00 pm
Teschers closed down its a new store now
I'm happy with de rubio

chaya35

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:26 pm
I'm very happy with Schwartz but the wait is long.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 8:40 pm
I am following, would like to hear about more than just these stores, and not just in BP because I have to drive to get there anyway so if there's something else in the area it's just as good. Would like to hear about the fitting skill (I have been fitted with shoes that felt small a couple of weeks later... even with a growth spurt that would be really fast!), the price range, and the selection - like what types of shoes they have.

Tescher retired and is now "Oomph" run by a former employee. I went into the store but it was crowded so I didn't stay to find out more. The selection looked mostly very trendy and seemed more geared to style rather than comfort. I liked Tescher because not only did he fit great and quickly, but the styles were both classy and comfortable. I didn't see everything there but now it looks like there are still some comfortable shoes but it's not the default. And lots of new styles and bold colors. I heard from the others who were already being served that the price range is higher than it used to be too - starts similar but goes way up. Basically, don't expect to spend less than $70. I liked that the seating area was much larger than most. They also seemed to be managing the pre-pesach crowd conditions efficiently.

When I went, Shwartz and Di Rubio were too crowded to even get a nose in the door, so no comment on those. I guess we all have the same idea to have new shoes for the chag...

Amelia Bedelia

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:19 pm
I wasn't at Di Rubio since two years ago Erev Pesach, since I didn't like that they didn't have enough of a selection. I felt that they mostly carried the brands people wanted, I.e. Venettini, (understandable, I know) but I wanted great quality (but somewhat stylish). When I was there, I saw either stylish shoes but not the quality I was looking for, or quality but ugly shoes (for my girls). My boys wanted lace Shabbos shoes, which they didn't carry. It is a small store but was very crowded, and we had a really long wait. I guess I was really turned off from that experience! I think I would try them again, but not Erev Yom Tov. They did do a good fit, I think. On the other hand, Schwartz's has a very large selection.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 9:34 pm
How much are you looking to spend? I think London Kids has beautiful shoes that really last. You can definitely see the difference at the end of the season with their shoes v. another brand.

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 10:49 pm
Where is this London Kids? How are they at sizing/fitting? One of my children has somewhat difficult feet to fit; the other I don't know as this would be the first real shoe fitting but also appears to not have such average shaped feet. What's their price range?

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:02 pm
18th and 49th. The fit is very nice, maybe a drop narrow in the ankle & toe. I even buy myself shoes there! (Yes, my foot is a 5.5 but they have larger adult shoes as well). They are expensive some styles can be 100+, but they last. I've seen other shoes fall to pieces and london kids can last through the season and be passed on again and again. They have a very classy look. They also usually have sale items, but the sizes really would be limited.

http://www.londonkidsshoes.com/ The website has a very limited selection. They really have beautiful, durable shoes.

Any other ladies have anything to add?

seeker

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:33 pm
I never pass on shoes, they mold to the shape of the child's foot and it isn't healthy to share. And the kids grow fast enough and wear their shoes hard enough that I'm not going to spend $100 a pair, maybe when they get older and don't change sizes every few months. We haven't had any problems with the shoes we used to get from Tescher, they lasted great, comfortable, good looking. Thanks for the recommendation, anyway.

Scrabble123

Post Wed, Apr 02 2014, 11:36 pm
seeker wrote:
I never pass on shoes, they mold to the shape of the child's foot and it isn't healthy to share. And the kids grow fast enough and wear their shoes hard enough that I'm not going to spend $100 a pair, maybe when they get older and don't change sizes every few months. We haven't had any problems with the shoes we used to get from Tescher, they lasted great, comfortable, good looking. Thanks for the recommendation, anyway.

I agree on not passing shoes, but giving away is very nice, especially in good condition. I agree, yes, $100 is a lot for a growing child with a changing shoe size...

Anyways, hatzlacha with finding the right shoes! I'm sure it will work out for you.....

seeker

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 10:41 pm
Update: I ended up buying at Oomph after all, went back at a less busy time, and I was very happy. Love the new roomy layout, it was populated but not packed this time so the kids had plenty of room to play around and also to walk in the shoes. I wish the lighting were a little brighter. The selection was great, not everything they showed us in person was on display which is why I initially thought it wasn't for me. But we ended up being shown quite a few beautiful, classy, practical shoes. The fitter (a Latino sounding young man) seemed very knowledgeable and was attentive to things like looking at where the previous shoes were worn to see the child's walking quirks, I really felt that he knew what he was doing and fit us well. There were a number of choices that fit well for each child so you could get both style and fit. The price range was a bit wider, too - I got lucky and both my kids fit well and looked nice in shoes that were under $70, still quality brands and current styles. The salesperson was very accommodating of my request to see the lower priced shoes first and to HIDE the venetinis because dd had seen them in a different store, fell in love, they did not hold her foot well at all, and I did not want a meltdown.

All in all, a great experience even though I still think the name is weird. Will be going there first next time because 2 other stores I was dissatisfied with the fit and selection (to be fair, we are slightly difficult customers... But that's the measure of how good the store is Wink ) and they have a punch card that for every 10 pairs you buy, you get one free, excellent especially for large families who could probably be getting one pair free every season! We are already two punches in Smile just have to not lose the card...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries