Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Chinese lemon chicken for pesach- from binah or mishpacha?

Tweedledee

Post Thu, Apr 02 2009, 3:58 pm
one of the magazines had a recipe last week for a pesachdick lchinese lemon chicken that I am eager to try. I can't find it anywhere. anyuone have it?

GiGichai

Post Fri, Apr 03 2009, 10:35 am
From Mishpacha:
8 chicken cutlets
1 and 1/2 cups potato starch
1/4 tsp. salt
2-4 TBsp sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
5-6 eggs
4-5 TBsp lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon rind (for those who use it)
oil, for frying

Mix together potato starch, salt, sugar and baking powder. Set bowl aside.
With a whisk, mix together eggs, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Add the dry mixture to this and mix together. It should have the consistency of a cake batter.
Pound chicken cutlets so they will be fully cooked when fried. Leave them whole or cut into smaller portions. Dip the pieces into batter, making sure to fully coat them. Deep fry them in oil for s5-8 minutes on each side. Set them aside.

Dipping Sauce:
2 TBSp. potato starch
1/3 cup sugar (1/2 if you like it really sweet)
1 cup orange juice, preferable fresh
1/4 cup lemon juice (2-3 Tbsp. if you like less tangy)

Put all ingredients in a small pot, cook and stir until thickened.

Note:
this tastes best eaten fresh. if you want to reheat it, cover, just three quarters of the pan so the chicken will not get soggy. Also, the sauce tends to congeal when put away for the next day. Heating it will liquefy it.

Tweedledee

Post Fri, Apr 03 2009, 12:36 pm
thank you. I always loved lemon chicken but I have ciliac disease. if this tastes anything like the real one, I have finally found a gluten free alternative for year round.

rachel6543

Post Sat, Apr 23 2011, 11:51 pm
what a good recipe! was a big hit for friday night.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 6:08 pm
bumping this up for Pesach.... this is a great recipe. I made it last year. Also made it for Succot last fall; it was such a big hit. Going to make again this year for Pesach.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Apr 12 2012, 10:51 am
ok I just made this recipe for lunch- it's AMAZING!!

tastes just like a lemon chicken you'd order in a chinese resteraunt...

chag sameach!

slushiemom

Post Sun, Apr 13 2014, 1:11 am
haha! I just typed Pesach Chicken into the search box, and clicked on this thread. Read the recipe and decided to make it, and then scrolled down to see that I made this 2 years ago! lol I have no recollection of this recipe at all, but if it worked for me once, I'll make it again Smile

Thanks, Tweedledee!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Mar 14 2021, 7:17 pm
Bumping up this recipe. This is an awesome Pesach chicken recipe!

I actually make the sauce year round now. My husband loves it.

eisheschayil

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:09 am
This sounds really good but what do you serve it with if not rice? To me it doesn't really seem to go with potatoes....

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:41 am
Riced cauliflower?

Amarante

Post Mon, Mar 15 2021, 11:44 am
eisheschayil wrote:
This sounds really good but what do you serve it with if not rice? To me it doesn't really seem to go with potatoes....

If you read the recipe, this is not a dish WITH a large sauce. It is a fried cutlet with a dipping sauce so you don't serve it over rice like a typical sauced stir fry. Think of how people eat a schnitzel or even chicken nuggets - by dipping in the sauce.

The coating is interesting since it uses potato starch. Many of the authentic Chinese recipes I use have a technique called "valveting" which uses corn starch and there are even recipes that use corn starch as the coating because it gives it a very specific lovely texture. So swapping the corn starch for potato starch would have similar results.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Apr 10 2022, 6:14 pm
Bumping this up again because this is such a good Pesach recipe. Always a hit. And easy to make.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus