Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Kishka appetizer

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:22 am
having guests for Shabbos who are vegetarians- can't do fish either. My borekas are soggy by Shabbos lunch- I think someone here once posted an appetizer using pareve kishka- or I'll take any other suggestions. Doing lots of salads as part of the main meal so I need something different for the appetizer.
Thanks!

studying_torah

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 6:38 am
How about some kinds of kugels or quiches?
Or maybe a veggie or liver or mushroom blintz?

imasoftov

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 7:50 am
The division of food into appetizers and main courses is arbitrary. Serve anything you like as an appetizer. Or serve all the food at once.

bubbebia

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:05 am
When I was growing up and we went to the kosher deli for dinner, my grandparents often had the kishke as an appetizer. It was served on a plate with some gravy. Why not serve it as an appetizer? A throwback to the old days! The only issue would be if it was cold and dry. If you can have some gravy for it, like a mushroom gravy, it would be wonderful. Hey. That's a good idea. I have a kishke in the freezer. DH loves kishke. Thank you for the suggestion. I'll make a mushroom gravy and give it to him for Friday night! He'll be very happy.

ruby slippers

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 8:19 am
Thanks- you just made me very hungry!! Any ideas how to warm up a mushroom gravy on Shabbos- I am assuming I can't really do that can I?

rena18

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 9:10 am
You could serve some sort of fruit

1/2 grapefruit with a cherry or grape or slice of kiwi on top if you want to dress it up

melon and/or pineapple slices

fruit salad

TeachersNotebook

Post Wed, Mar 19 2014, 5:14 pm
I made a kishka appetizer from Starters and Sides Made Easy by Leah Schapira and Victoria Dwek. The guests liked it better than I did, which isn't too bad I guess...

Kishka and Zucchini Towers
Ingredients:
3 large zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1/4c olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

For Kishka:
2c flour
1/2c breadcrumbs
1/4c brown sugar
1 Tbsp paprika
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2/3c cold water
2/3c oil

Tomato Dip (to drizzle on top. No heating necessary! Smile)
Blend:
3 tomatoes
3 garlic cloves
3 Tbsp olive oil
1/2tsp salt
pinch pepper

Instructions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Prepare the kishka: in a small bowl, combine flour, breadcrumbs, brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir in water and oil. Mold the mixture into a log that is the same width as your zucchinis. Free log for at least 15 minutes.
3. Place zucchini rounds on one prepared baking sheet. Remove kishka from freezer and slice into 1/2 inch rounds. Place kishka rounds on second prepared baking sheet.
4. Brush zucchini and kishka rounds with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Bake for 45-50 minutes until zucchini is tender and kishka and zucchini are golden on the edges.
5. Create towers by alternating kiska with zucchini. Drizzle with tomato dip.

They have a lot of other vegetarian ideas too. It's a great book. Another idea would be sushi.

calaflower

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:36 am
eema1 wrote:
Thanks- you just made me very hungry!! Any ideas how to warm up a mushroom gravy on Shabbos- I am assuming I can't really do that can I?

Correct me if I'm wrong but on Shabbos morning aren't you allowed to warm up a liquid so long as it's not directly on your fire (Blech?) so if you put a foil pan turned over and then put gravy on top of that, or if you put the pot of gravy on top of another pot that is over the flame it's Mutar?

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Mar 20 2014, 9:51 am
calaflower wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but on Shabbos morning aren't you allowed to warm up a liquid so long as it's not directly on your fire (Blech?) so if you put a foil pan turned over and then put gravy on top of that, or if you put the pot of gravy on top of another pot that is over the flame it's Mutar?

We don't hold that we can reheat liquids. But sefardim do differently.

Whenever I have vegetarians, instead of cholent I make a pareve chili with veggie crumble. Everyone loves it and the vegetarians like that they're eating a main rather than a bunch of sides.

You can also serve it for appetizer with chips. Or with rice, but I have yet to reheat rice on shabbos properly. It becomes like little pebbles.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics