Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Has anyone tried Kumon?

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:25 pm
I'm tempted to consider enrolling DD (Yr 3/3rd grade) for math classes at Kumon. She's doing ok for her year but has terrible time with mental maths and concentration in general. Has anyone tried Kumon classes? Is it a group lesson? How much time does a pupil spend per session? Is their technique compatible with mainstream math education? (concerned if DD would get confused). I may be tempted to enroll DS in Reception/Kindergarten, but wold he be too young? Any pros/cons/comments are appreciated.

bubby

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 5:34 pm
What's Kumon? I saw it mentioned onm another thread.

someoneoutthere

Post Tue, Nov 03 2009, 9:34 pm
While I never officially went to Kumon, I had a teacher who was an instructor and she used to give us Kumon sheets in class.
I hated them.
There is something to being able to do 'mental math', adding 1 to 9 in your head and knowing your times tables by hear 1 to 12. But Kumon for math was pure memorization. The kid that could add triple digit numbers fastest in Gr.5 was in no way "better" at math than the one who took ages cuz they had to add on their fingers and toes (that would have been me, but I worked out other tricks so it was less obvious). Speed didnt help much, it's just memorization without much understanding of the way math works.
In no way am I a math genius, far from it, but I got the same math scores in elementary school as the kids who spent time doing speed drills. But those kids did generally have less of an aversion to math class.

Again, I never went, but had lots of classmates who did and was subjected to a teacher who brought it into the classroom.

Aribenj

Post Wed, Nov 04 2009, 10:23 am
I LOVE Kumon. I never did the classes but I used their workbooks to teach my 4 year-old to write over the Summer. It's great!

Mommy F.

Post Tue, Apr 23 2013, 8:09 pm
I love kumon!

I did a lot of research on line before signing up my daughter.
I would suggest you do the same, to learn about all the pros and cons.

I signed her up for the reading program though, not the math program.

I found it has really improved her attention span,
her hand writting, her reading, her self confidence . . .
I find the price very reasonable.

Keep in mind that you do have to do between 20 - 30 minutes of homework every day,
or hire someone to do it with them.

But I definitely see an improvement in my daughters grades and self esteem after doing kumon.

Good luck!

chocolate chips

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:15 am
I never did it personally but my mother did apply and looked into it for my younger siblings I think she still gets some sheets from them.

You can pm her (UKmum)

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 10:58 am
We did Kumon Math & English.
Kids hated the monotony but learned tons & even many years later tell me how good it was.
About to enroll another DS.

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 24 2013, 1:20 pm
Thanks v much.

Mommy F. and others, what are the pros and cons? Also what are the differences of Kumon classes vs just buying exercise/drill papers? What do Kumon teachers do during the class, does he/she just mark the papers or does the teacher actively teach? If your kids are on higher level than what's being taught at school, would they be "bored" or pay less attention during the school lessons?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics