Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Remove earring from infected ear 3 months after piercing?

muffinsmommy

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 4:02 pm
My daughter had her ears pierced 3 months ago and I followed the instructions for cleaning the piercings for 6 weeks. I just recently noticed that the back of the piercings are swollen, bleeding and crusty. The doctor told me to remove the earrings for 1 week and put on antibiotic ointment every day. He claims the holes won't close up in a week, but everything I've read on the internet says otherwise. What should I do?

rae gi

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 4:07 pm
Listen to your doctor!

muffinsmommy

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 4:12 pm
Obviously I am not going to risk my daughter's health for cosmetic reasons, but I was hoping maybe someone had some reassurance from experience or other advice...

Last edited by muffinsmommy on Wed, Nov 07 2012, 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 4:12 pm
I would take out the earrings - clean them - clean the holes - put antibiotic ointment & put them right back in putting ointment on twice a day ... every now & again clean them thoroughly in this same manner

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 07 2012, 5:06 pm
I personally would follow my doctor's advice over the advice of anyone on the Internet. But no, I would never pierce an infant's ears in the first place, so that's moot. Nevertheless, if you're the kind of person who would take Internet advice over your doctor's, I'd follow greenie's.

muffinsmommy

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 12:17 am
Why do you assume we're talking about an infant? She's almost 5 years old.

Isramom8

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:20 am
But when the earlobes are infected, they have this hurting bump on them, so how can you put the earrings back in?

Marion

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:29 am
When I had infected holes I don't ever recall removing my earrings. Definitely treated with something like Polysporin or Bactroban via Qtip between the earring and the ear.

ray family

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:42 am
when my daughter's ears got infected I removed her earrings for as long as it was necessary. what I did do though was put the earring in and then take it out, every day, just to keep the hole open.

muffinsmommy

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 3:46 am
Thank you for your suggestions!

amother

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:37 pm
If you want to keep the hole, do not leave the hole without the earing for a week. I agree with others who said to remove, clean, treat and continue to take care of it until healed. If you do take the earing out and it closes, she will be left with a bump and the new hole will have to be made in a different place.

My sister pierces ears and this is what she advises and I have also seen success this way with many people.

amother

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 1:57 pm
This happened to my dd and it just so happened that my uncle who is a pediatrician was around... he told me that I had to take it out and he was sure it would close up and I'd have to get it pierced again, but that was the way to treat it. In the end it healed and didn't close up.

paprika

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 2:22 pm
You can sterilize a needle and put a piece of string in the hole and tie it with a knot. Leave that in there until it heals.

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, Nov 08 2012, 7:21 pm
Clean the post with alcohol, then put antibiotic cream on the post, then put it back through the hole, the infection goes through the whole piercing not just the back, it will heal faster if the cream is inside the hole, and it won't close. The doctor is wrong, the holes do close, my daughter has had her ears pierced for almost 2 years, if she is without earrings for a day or two, it becomes hard to put it through her ear. Make sure the back is at the end of the post, so as not to touch the ear too much.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics