Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Advance rice and sushi rice

sky

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 12:37 pm
Is there a way to make rice or sushi rice in advance for yom tov. I don't have enough burners to do it on yom tov and my oven is on very low (200 - 250).

I wanted to make regular rice 1 1/2 days in advance to serve with pepper steak.
Sushi rice 2 days in advance to serve in a sushi trifle.

Is it possible to do either?
Would you sub the sushi rice with regular rice in the sushi trifle.
(http://www.cookkosher.com/index.php?option=com_zoo&task=item&item_id=271&Itemid=8#comment-1266)

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 1:17 pm
It's not ideal but can be done.

Prepare sushi rice as normally. Make sure you don't store in metalic/foil container as it includes vinegar. Most importantly you will have to warm up the rice on yomtov, then let it cool down again to room temperature BEFORE you start rolling into sushi.

After you warm it back again, you may want to adjust the seasoning--vinegar tends to evaporate after a day or so, definitely once you reheat it.

Regular rice is different from sushi rice, the former is long grain rice and the latter short grain (ie sticky) rice. Sushi rice loses its stickiness and becomes hard once refrigerated.

sky

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 2:18 pm
Thanks. I'm not even rolling with the sushi rice. I'm just layering it in a trifle bowl. As long as it tastes fine and the consistency is not yuck then I'm fine with that. I'll try reheating on yom tov then. I'm assuming its reheated covered,

And I'll try the same with regular rice.

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, May 22 2012, 3:07 pm
Yes you need to reheat covered. You may also want to sprink very small amount (say 1tbsp or so) of water if you aren't reheating on shabbat so it comes out moist rather than dried out.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes