Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Can I make latkes in advance?

kaye

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 8:12 pm
I am having a chanukah party motzoi shabbos and do not want to make the latkes after shabbos, can I make them in advance? Can they be frozen?

Dini20

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 8:21 pm
My mil makes them in advance & freezes them. They don't taste the same as fresh,but they're not bad.

alpidarkomama

Post Sat, Dec 10 2011, 11:22 pm
YES! Fry them until just barely browned, then freeze them as soon as they cool. Take them out of the freezer, let them partially defrost, brush them w/oil and heat at 450 for 10-15 minutes or until crispy and golden brown. I can't tell my fresh ones from the frozen/reheated. I'm having 50 people one night, so I think I'll be making latkes tomorrow, b'n!

shoemaker

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 8:39 am
you sure could, but its never the same.

notshanarishona

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:18 am
shoemaker wrote:

Agree. Fried food is the type of things that is best fresh.

Liba

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:21 am
They may be better fresh, but how much better? If the choices are slightly better latkes and a stressed out hostess or premade latkes I would go for premade. If they are frozen right away and reheated well the difference is barely noticeable. The difference in the hostess, as she spends the whole night in the kitchen trying to keep up with the demand for latkes, will be huge.

kaye

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:56 am
Got to agree with Liba. I will be so stressed out and resentful that I am in the kitchen while everyone else is having fun. Going to freeze and rebake. Thanks for all the suggestions.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 10:21 am
dont know about fried, but I find my cooked-frozen-reheated potato foods taste very good enough if I reheat it to a boiling point- not just warming it up.

thekosherchannel

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 12:53 pm
It's the only way to go in my opinion.

Freeze freshly fried latkes in a single layer on a baking pan sprayed with cooking spray. When frozen hard, pop off the pan and into a freezer bag, seal tightly until the big night.

To serve-preheat the oven to 400 degrees (a must do step) then place frozen latkes on a baking pan lined with foil and coated with baking spray. Heat for 10 minutes until sizzling like they just got out of the frying oil. Serve immediately. They'll be crisp and piping hot and no clean up, just toss the foil and enjoy the party.

Chanukah Samayach!

SharonB

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 12:58 pm
As long as you reheat in a hot oven they'll be delicious and you won't be stressed!

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 11 2011, 9:00 pm
notshanarishona wrote:
shoemaker wrote:

Agree. Fried food is the type of things that is best fresh.

I agree as well, but I'd rather serve good but not great latkes then be a slave over the stove at my own party.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus