Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Is there value to labeling a child with ADD non-H?

Mommeeeeeeee!

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 12:38 pm
Do you feel there is anything to be gained by getting an official diagnosis for a child who shows clear signs of having an attention deficit disorder without the hyperactivity component? Or do you feel it would have more of a negative effect than a positive one? Would you say it is better to just focus on strategies for managing the condition without going through the effort of getting it officially diagnosed? How do you feel about the concept of labeling in general?
I am specifically asking if there are benefits to getting a label in a case where medication would not be an option, or a necessity because the child is gifted/bright enough to learn well in class despite paying minimal attention, does not disrupt class or harm others (but obviously struggles in other ways because of the attention deficit). What do you feel are the pros and cons of getting it officially diagnosed vs going straight to implementing management techniques?

canada

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 12:45 pm
"What do you feel are the pros and cons of getting it officially diagnosed vs going straight to implementing management techniques?"

If the kid will get tips and ways of dealing with it's difficulty, I don't see why ypu should go through with the "official diagnosis"

But please make sure the kids gets the help s/he needs, and the younger the kid is, the better.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 3:10 pm
I don't know how old your child is, but my dd is gifted and was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive (though at home she seems hyperactive too, at times) and anxiety when she was 10. Through 3rd grade and part of 4th she managed fine and is still managing well in secular studies, though there were signs of ADD all along.

Since we got the diagnosis (we are still debating meds,but are not using at the moment) I found things went a lot more smoothly. Like it or not, a diagnosis makes people pay more attention and it is easier to get your child the help s/he needs.

Since dd got her diagnosis, I've done a lot of research and found that I myself also have ADD. Life would have been a lot easier for me if someone would have done something about this when I was a child.

amother

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 3:35 pm
I have thought about this topic a lot too....

I will say I know a marriage that ended in divorce as the girl had ADHD and the parents were against labels so she was never officially diagnosed. Her husband had diagnosed issues, and basically when they were having dificulties due to their respective challenges, she wouldnt get help as she didnt want to be given a label.

I actually dont think a label nessecary if the school/parents is adopting the same techniques to help the child anyway. I think it might cut out a bit of the leg work for both, to be diagnosed, as they can cut straight to the proven techniques for that specific thing instead of trying lots of different things.

Also as far as I know you can grow out of a lot of ADD behaviours as you get older.

But I think for the long run you have to be careful what message you give the child. If they are scared of being 'found out' it can stop them getting help in many areas.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:
I actually dont think a label nessecary if the school/parents is adopting the same techniques to help the child anyway. I think it might cut out a bit of the leg work for both, to be diagnosed, as they can cut straight to the proven techniques for that specific thing instead of trying lots of different things.

That is my feeling, and my experience in working with children of various diagnoses. It validates their behavior, makes it more understandable to all involved, and gives a guideline in terms of proven, effective methods for intervention. I also think a child benefits from understanding that she is not bad or lazy or babyish; she should be explained how ADHD affects her brain and her ability to focus. When she has a hard time attending to tasks, she should know it's the ADHD that is getting in the way, and how she can "fight against" the ADHD and win. It eliminates a lot of shame.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 6:24 pm
My son has many symptoms of ADHD, he's not super hyper but very fidgety and has the ADd symptoms. I give him maxi health vitamins & drops & they work quite well.

canada

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 8:57 pm
I think she is asking about having the label as a "Label", being labeled. She mentioned that her child will get the help she needs regardless.
So Why bother getting diagnosed if she already knows the issue and is getting the child the help she needs.

ADD is not life threatening to oneself or others. All a person needs is some organizational skills and maybe some management tips.
So why get an official "ADD" title? Mom knows it's there.

gold21

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 9:02 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
My son has many symptoms of ADHD, he's not super hyper but very fidgety and has the ADd symptoms. I give him maxi health vitamins & drops & they work quite well.

mama bear, what is in the maxi health vitamins that treats ADD? it always fascinates me how the chassidish community is so pro-natural/ herbal/ alternative treatments. im not against it at all, I am simply curious about it.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 9:06 pm
(it also fascinates me - around here the more charedi the more mainstream)

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 9:09 pm
If you want services from the city/state, they need to be diagnosed, ie labeled. Esp. if you have to sue for appropriate services for your child, you need a diagnosis from a reputable doctor.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 03 2011, 11:42 pm
the vitamins are ITC powder, St Johns wort, valerian root, omega 3 fishoil.... they all work very well on ADD.

I guess the chasidishe community is leery of treating evertying with meds, and they try natural first...

amother

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 12:27 am
canada wrote:
I think she is asking about having the label as a "Label", being labeled. She mentioned that her child will get the help she needs regardless.
So Why bother getting diagnosed if she already knows the issue and is getting the child the help she needs.

ADD is not life threatening to oneself or others. All a person needs is some organizational skills and maybe some management tips.
So why get an official "ADD" title? Mom knows it's there.
I am responding as a wife of a dh with ADD- no hyperactivity. I think that having an official label validates the behavior and doesn't make the person feel like they just can't get their act together while everyone else can.

Does anyone close to you have this diagnosis? Because in my experience, it is a tough, life-long struggle, not just "some organizational skills and management". Getting those skills is not as easy as you make it seem. Sad

Like others have mentioned, once there is a diagnosis, you know which tried-and- true methods are out there, and have specific tools which can help. Schools etc. are also more likely to help out. Mabellevie- : thumbs up

I am pro- labeling in such a case if "label" means "diagnosis".

(I think others who comment should state their experience together with their opinion.)

amother

Post Tue, Oct 04 2011, 12:39 am
I don't know very much about this, but I rather wish that as a child I had been labeled "ADD" instead of "lazy, messy and scatterbrained" and then maybe I would have gotten helped instead of yelled at for bad marks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)