Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
8 years old, and she still won't wipe!

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 2:40 pm
I have tried everything I can think of. Softer paper, box of tissues right next to the toilet, flushable wipes with Disney Princesses on the box, you name it. She'll reluctantly wipe if I tell her, but I still end up having to presoak all of her underwear.

Thank goodness she's not "stinky", and she always remembers to wash her hands, but she just skips the wiping step. She can't tell me why, she just shrugs. I really think that she just doesn't think about it, but she gets grumpy when I try to remind her. I've even considered putting up a sign in the bathroom, but she'd be mortified if friends came over and saw it.

Help!

jflower

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 5:09 pm
would it help if you and dd picked out really pretty underwear, and she gets to wear a new pair if she cleans herself well?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 5:45 pm
big deal, as long as she showers daily...BTW, that is why I DO NOT WIPE my 4 1/2 yr old but stand there as she wipes herself. She will learn to do it as part of the tiolet ritual & will hate the feeling of a wet & stinky behind

amother

Post Wed, Jul 20 2011, 8:32 pm
Have you explained that she can get sick (urinary tract infections) if she does not wipe (after a BM)? Or that she could smell and certainly her friends would notice that?! I like the idea of rewarding with nice underwear- positive reinforcement.
I know a few girls, aged 7 and 4 whose mom lets them wipe themselves (after both pee and BM) and does not check or do a last wipe, and these girls get recurrent UTI's. Not an ideal situation. We need to teach our girls how to do it properly.
Well good luck and let us know how you solve the problem! Maybe this is why the Europeans invented the bidet!

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 1:49 am
amother wrote:
Have you explained that she can get sick (urinary tract infections) if she does not wipe (after a BM)? Or that she could smell and certainly her friends would notice that?! I like the idea of rewarding with nice underwear- positive reinforcement.
I know a few girls, aged 7 and 4 whose mom lets them wipe themselves (after both pee and BM) and does not check or do a last wipe, and these girls get recurrent UTI's. Not an ideal situation. We need to teach our girls how to do it properly.
Well good luck and let us know how you solve the problem! Maybe this is why the Europeans invented the bidet!

I've explained all of this 100 times, even when she got a UTI in kindergarten (her very strict morah was punishing her for going to the bathroom too often, and not letting her drink enough water). She's pretty oblivious to clothing, so pretty underwear is not high on her list. We've just gone through a round of pin worms (eeeeew!), so I've given her a real lecture about wiping well.

If we had a bidet, she'd have every kid in the neighborhood over to play in it!

I'm wondering if it's some kind of sensory avoidant thing with her, and she just really hates the feeling of wiping. My mom is no help, she just says "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll have it figured out by college!" Confused

amother

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 2:16 am
FWIW I wipe my 7 year old who has certain developmental delays. She has a different issue (constipation) which causes her to sometimes soil her undies slightly and this drives me nuts but when I catch it I have to wash her in the tub.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Jul 21 2011, 9:56 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
amother wrote:

I've explained all of this 100 times, even when she got a UTI in kindergarten (her very strict morah was punishing her for going to the bathroom too often, and not letting her drink enough water). She's pretty oblivious to clothing, so pretty underwear is not high on her list. We've just gone through a round of pin worms (eeeeew!), so I've given her a real lecture about wiping well.

If we had a bidet, she'd have every kid in the neighborhood over to play in it!

I'm wondering if it's some kind of sensory avoidant thing with her, and she just really hates the feeling of wiping. My mom is no help, she just says "Don't worry, I'm sure she'll have it figured out by college!" Confused
I think it must be.
At this point for sure, she is immune to the feeling, and it definately doesn't bother her. So in her mind, why bother?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training