Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Juror Subpoena Faliure to respond

hardworkingmommy

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:50 pm
HELP!! I just received one of these.
For the people that received this:
1. Did you actually go down like the letter tells you too?
If yes did they tell you have to serve as a jury on another day?

2. Did you just dump it like you dumped your questionnaire?
If yes were you fined or imprisoned as stated on the letter?

Flowerchild

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:55 pm
Is it because you didnt fill out and send your questionnaire? Because I filled mine out and then misplaced it, and couldnt find it at all, so I called up and was told they will send a new one, like its no big deal. Im just wondering why you recieved this.

But im thinking you probably have to go there.

joy613

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 1:59 pm
Was this for not sending back your questionnaire or for not going down for jury duty?

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:07 pm
we discuss this every so often. it's a cr@pshoot. You might get away with it, and you might not.

FTR I was told to appear, and I did.

joy613

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:12 pm
I got this for failing to send back my questionnaire. I went down there, it was really not the biggest deal and by not going you're taking a risk. as CM said, you might get away with it but you also might not.

Barbara

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:17 pm
Why would you purposely break the law? Do you believe that you're not bound by the laws of where you live?

In any case, it all depends upon where you live, and how kindly the judge before whom you will eventually be hauled feels that day. A fast google search indicates that in NY, you're usually fined a couple of hundred dollars and/or given community service -- picking up trash on the highway or something like that. They probably won't throw you in jail.

This isn't legal advice, of course. I'd strongly suggest that you pose this question to your own attorney.

hardworkingmommy

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:21 pm
Hashem loves me wrote:
Was this for not sending back your questionnaire or for not going down for jury duty?

For not sending back my questionnaire.

HML did they tell you your gonna have to serve as a jury on another date?

Pickle Lady

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:24 pm
I got the same thing yesterday. I am going to go down anyways. It says on the letter that it should only take about 15 minutes. I had moved and I didn't get the previous letters they sent.

joy613

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 2:50 pm
hardworkingmommy wrote:
Hashem loves me wrote:

For not sending back my questionnaire.

HML did they tell you your gonna have to serve as a jury on another date?

They didn't tell me anything then. But I did get a jury notice not long after. Once you get their attention by doing something wrong, you go to the top of the list.

Just as a PSA for everyone- if you get the questionnaire , send it back right away. You may never get called for jury duty. If you don't send it back right away, you most likely will get called down.

Isher

Post Tue, Dec 14 2010, 3:13 pm
It depends whether you responded to the questionnaire and also whether its jury duty for a trial or grand jury.

My husband received a request for grand jury. When I called to see what the chance of reporting to duty is I was told that most people who are called for grand jury have to serve - he ended up serving for about a month with 2-3 days of sessions per week.

OTOH my sil was scheduled to appear for jury duty (reg trial) and couldn't make it. They rescheduled and she forgot to appear the second time. She received a notice that if she doesn't appear at the appointed time and date she could face fine and imprisonment. She ended up appearing with a 10 day old baby - they let her go.

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 2:34 pm
I dropped mine off today at the court house and they told me that as long as I am a stay at home mom with a child under 14, then I am exempt from jury duty. I just need to send in a birth certificate of the youngest child when I get a summons.

Isher

Post Wed, Dec 15 2010, 7:47 pm
Pickle Lady wrote:
I dropped mine off today at the court house and they told me that as long as I am a stay at home mom with a child under 14, then I am exempt from jury duty. I just need to send in a birth certificate of the youngest child when I get a summons.

That's interesting, I wasn't given the choice not to appear because of kids at home. I was summoned to federal court jury duty. Spent the day reading a book since I wasn't called to any chambers. I had to continue calling the next few days to see if I must come in again, BH I didn't have to do it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries