Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic to mosquito bites?

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 12:25 am
My toddler grandson is reacting to mosquito bites. They blow up to a huge size. Today his eyelids blew up, and got very red and puffy, could he have been bitten on both of them? He had other bites on his arms and legs, that didn't get so swollen, but the first time he was bitten there it did swell.

How can a baby be protected from this? What can repel those insects from hanging around his crib? (my daughter doesn't have internet at home, so I'm posting this for her, does anyone have remedies that work?)

e1234

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 1:49 am
my dd is allergic.

vita B can help I was told. We put up mosquito zappers in the house which does help and we have screens on all windows.

sped

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 7:28 am
My nephew had that as a baby and little boy. the only thing that helped him was a roll-on Sano repellent from Israel. Anyone who went had to bring back a few bottles! This is about 25 years ago, so I don't know what there is now.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 7:30 am
I was allergic to all insect bites until I went to my homeopath and he lessened the sensitivity. Now I only get a normal sized bump if I get a bite. I used to have huge reactions.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 8:16 am
My son had a reaction when mosquitoes bit his eyelids and he needed steroids to combat it. He wasn't that young either.

We use bug spray but it's not foolproof of course. DD used to have bug spray wipes for her face which were handy.

SaraFR

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:38 am
We give our kids Pantomax and it works very well. I open the capsule and mix it into pudding.

http://www.koshervitamins.com/.....=1590

I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for.

Bliss

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 9:39 am
My son is allergic to bites. So as soon as I see it starts blowing up I put on bactroban or even just bacitracin and it gets better.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 11:13 am
I was very allergic to mosquitoes well into my teens. My eyes would blow up and seal shut from the bites, and it made me miserable. Unfortunately there is little that can be done to prevent the bites in the summer, unless you plan on dressing yourself in bug netting. B complex works for some people, but not for everyone. And using bug repellents can work too, although, I am somewhat convinced that mosquitoes like the smell of the repellents cause they always bit me anyway.

MommyZ

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 11:16 am
My son is allergic. His bites blow up and his ears have looked like elephant ears from mosquito bites- swollen and sticking out. When his mosquito bites get swollen they start to weep clear pus and he itches til he bleeds. I give him benadryl and it makes the swelling go away.

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Aug 17 2010, 1:37 pm
I am allergic to mosquito bites, to the point where I went to the adverse reactions clinic and spoke to an immunologist. he prescribed a steroid cream for when needed and suggested that I keep doing what I do, which is take benadryl on top of my usual allergy meds (cetirizine). I usually only need one dosage of benadryl to calm the reaction down.

I went because I was worried I would become anaphalactic and my immunologist assured me that this is not possible with mosquitos, they are just an irritation.

avoid having him out during dusk and also in shady wet areas. I was recently in las vegas and it was the first time in years I had been out at dusk and not tortured by bites!!!!

animeme

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:12 pm
He can get a dose of Zyrtec every day. We do this with my just-2 year old whenever it's mosquito season, and it takes the edge off when she gets bitten.

I once forgot to give it to her, and she got two bites that were just starting to swell. I gave herthe Zyrtec, and they disappeared. They started reappearing the next day, same time, and I dosed her again. They didn't disappear, but were under control.

mazelandbracha

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:18 pm
Two of my kids are allergic. I'd give them Benadryl before bed when they got bitten, but what really helped was Avon Skin so soft bug guard. It's natural and safe, and really repelled the mosquitos. It's expensive, but it goes on 1/2 price sale every May and August (approximately)and I buy 4-5 then.

micki

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 11:14 pm
alot of my kids also-
good news is, they seem to be growing out of it as they get older.
once my son got 47 bites!! blew up and needed antibiotics it was so bad.
now I know when I see them get one , bactroban immidiatly helps prevent infection, and benadryl to get swelling down.

Laughing Bag!

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 11:32 pm
my nephew is allergic to mosquito bites, it gets all swollen,,, this summer s/o with the same experience told my sil that lemon juice helped her child who was allergic to the bites! and it worked gor my nephew he drank every day a little bit of pure lemon juice and didnt get any bites at all!

maofboys

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 11:41 pm
wow, thankyou for posting. my son is 5 and also is allergic to mosquito bites. the first time I saw it I ran to the dr. and he couldn't diagnose it at first (he really scared us for a while) he was 18 months and his leg was so swollen. turned out to be 3 bites. every year it happens and every year I think "it wasn't this bad last year". I think I will try some of the remedies I heard here, my mom says put viniger on him but every day of the summer? no one will want to play with him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics