Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
WWYD? Chicken soup left out overnight?

Shopmiami49

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 4:37 pm
The chicken soup was left out by mistake and dh saw it in the morning b4 davening, smelled it - it smelled ok - and put it back in the fridge. Would you eat it?

c.c.cookie

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 4:42 pm
Depends how hot it was in the house. If the AC was on, and the house was comfortable, I would still use it if it smelled okay. If the house was hot, I would not use it.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 4:45 pm
Just taste it - if it's gone off it will be sour. Otherwise it's okay IMHO.

Tablepoetry

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 4:48 pm
If the soup was still boiling hot when we went to bed, and it had been out only 6 or 7 hrs, and it wasn't sweltering hot in the house, and it tasted/smelled OK - yeah, we'd probably eat it.

Dobat

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 10:23 pm
I would chuck it out. Soup is not expensive or time consuming to make. You wouldn't want to give or get a belly ache just for a pot of soup! Taste it....

bubby

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 10:25 pm
Dobat wrote:
I would chuck it out. Soup is not expensive or time consuming to make. You wouldn't want to give or get a belly ache just for a pot of soup! Taste it....

Agreed. Except I wouldn't taste it!

signed

Butcher's DD

ra_mom

Post Sat, Jun 26 2010, 11:23 pm
I would throw it out.

ewa-jo

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 1:47 am
I never make chicken soup, so I don't know how long it's good for, but if you decide that it's inedible, don't throw it out... I'm sure some of the garbage cats outside your dumpster would enjoy it. Smile

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 2:18 am
We don't have AC and it was a cool night - very comfortable in the house. The soup was not boiling hot, more like hot/warm and it was out for about 7 hours since then. dh is the one who doesn't want to throw it out...so I'll have HIM taste it! LOL

coffeeaddict87

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 5:20 am
that happened to me, and I did a survey of all my friends - everyone said it was fine. and it was. we ate it.

ef

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 7:58 am
oh my - that jsut heppened to me this shabbos!! I chucked it out cos having experienced salmonella firsthand it just wasnt worth the risk...

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 8:25 am
well, ladies, dh made himself a grand lunch today which consisted of....none other than our famous left out chicken soup! He said it was totally fine and he had two bowls with matzah balls and chicken. We'll see how he fares later on today...

Levtov

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 9:36 am
The rule is: When in doubt, throw it out!

raspberry tea

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 10:25 am
I've done this once before. I asked a very experienced friend, and she said it's fine. And it was, B'H!

chanahlady

Post Sun, Jun 27 2010, 2:13 pm
Food handling tip: Not more than 2 hours between 40 degrees F and 140 degrees F. Otherwise, bacteria can grow. The food doesn't even have to look/taste/smell spoiled for potentially illness-causing bacteria to grow. I wouldn't eat it, especially something that had meat in it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey