Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Help with mishloach manot

lst

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:07 am
I need some ideas for themed mishloach manot. I make them to sell and I have four different sizes. This year I am doing dinner (biggest), lunch, breakfast, and snack (smallest).
Anyone have good ideas for what can be in each of them? Nothing perishable, and I live in Israel...

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:48 am
Pasta (lunch or dinner):
bag of noodles
tin of crushed tomatoes
little bags of dried spices
tin of tuna

Soup (lunch or dinner):
box/bag different flavoured soup mixes
kneidlach mix
egg noodles

Breakfast:
solet/quick oats
long-life milk
raisins/craisins
brown sugar/maple syrup
pancake mix

Snack:
granola bar(s)
dried fruit
mana chama
crackers

You know you're really limiting yourself by not including perishables, right?

cinnamon

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:58 am
for breakfast they have those jelly candies that looked like fried eggs.

lst

Thanks,
I do know that about the perishable thing but we sell them and they are picked up, and out of my house before Purim. Possible before Shabbat this year. So perishable probably wouldn't work. I know, perishable would open up a lot more possibilities. Maybe I'll think about having pick up on Purim morning and just keep them all in the fridge until then. Not that I have a huge fridge but maybe that could work.

lst

or another theme idea for four different sizes.....
someone suggested colors, but I dont know how easy that would be

Marion

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:03 am
Or, perhaps you could package the perishables separately (like in a hang off bag?) and add them upon pick-up. It would at least enable you to add things like parmesan cheese, yogurts, shoko, baby carrots/cut salads, fresh fruit, or cold cuts. (I also realize that perishables add a LOT to the price of a basket...I'm just thinking out loud.)

geemum

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:48 am
For breakfast - you can buy cheaply in israel, the kids straw bowls. Add a small box of cereal, hot chocolate powder sachet, coffee sachet, sugar sachet, 1 portion jam packet and a plain vanilla muffin.

For snack - a drink and any nosh or heatlh bar, and some candies

For dinner - you can put a packet of pasta, jar of ready made tomato sauce, tin of fruit salad for dessert maybe? can't think of anything else that not perishable

lunch - like said above, a cuppa soup, maybe a tin of tuna some pickles?

its a difficult theme. I think the colour scheme would look more striking.

good luck

lst

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 4:51 am
I agree that it is a difficult theme.
I am definitely open to any ideas....

last year we didnt have a theme and it was a random mix of stuff, bottle of wine, package of wafers, an osem cake, chips, bamba, candy, chocolate bar, etc. and that was fine. some people suggested that a theme may be better.

Tova

Post Tue, Jan 12 2010, 3:33 pm
A couple of comments:

1) Is this really cheaper than people buying their own Osem cake, etc.? Or do people do it for the convenience?

2) Please keep in mind that the minimum of 2 minim need to be edible/commonly eaten in that state. So a bag of pasta doesn't count. Spices don't count. Can of crushed tomatoes possibly doesn't count.

lst

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 3:06 am
Tova wrote:
A couple of comments:

1) Is this really cheaper than people buying their own Osem cake, etc.? Or do people do it for the convenience?

2) Please keep in mind that the minimum of 2 minim need to be edible/commonly eaten in that state. So a bag of pasta doesn't count. Spices don't count. Can of crushed tomatoes possibly doesn't count.

Thanks, I do know that we need 2 ready to eat things. Also, these are not being sold to stam families. These are nice baskets put together for the American yeshiva boys that are here. They buy a bunch to give to their Rabbeim and families in the kollel that they are close with. The baskets come out looking very nice and we make a decent profit on it as well.

Anyway, last year we didn't do a theme, just nice baskets of different sizes. I'm thinking of doing the same thing again this year as a theme is proving to be quite difficult.

LisaS

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 4:04 am
The food should be nice and practical for the rabbi's families. Let the decorations be themed. I.e. you can decorate the wine bottle, cake package, etc.

elmos

Post Wed, Jan 13 2010, 11:26 am
breakfast can be a smalll ceral a small juice box or can of juice an instant packet of coffee, hot cocoa or a tea bag a cup and sweetner or a honey straw if you do tea a small danish or cupcake also looks good in it and a fresh fruit like apples or oranges that can survive a few days without a fridge or dried fruits.
If you want junk they always have those sour jelly stuff shaped like eggs etc...

Lunch; can be a tuna packet or pop up can of tuna a roll or bread packed individually or in a baggy a bag of chips or veggie chips fruit canned or dry and a drink. you can use vaccummed packed deli meats if you might be able to refridgerate part of the time. you can also use an instant packet or cup of soup all depends how much stuff you want in it. I know here in the states they sell individually wrapped pickles.you can also do a mini thing of peanutbutter and crackers premade or to assmble

dinner can be all lunch ideas or pasta and sauce with a collander or wooden spoon set or a chef hat filled with food like a big roll and canned fish etc. nosh that looks like real food like they have theese candies thatsomeone used here last year that looked like burgers and franks.

snack is easy chips and a drink danish and instant hot drink crackers and a container of spread candies etc chocolate and mini schanapps or wine.

I hope some of this was of help as I do not know what is readily available in israel near you.

GOOOD luck and who said all 4 have tobe the same theme you can do each size to diff. theme if that helps
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics